Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ferry Sorrento to Naples

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Ferry Sorrento to Naples

Any advice regarding the hydrofoils from Sorrento to Naples? I was looking at Alilauro and NLG. Some reviews/comments on other sites say no need to purchase tickets in advanced and just to show up early to purchase tickets at the dock. Anyone have any input/advice on this? I plan to take multiple trips back and forth (July 9 round trip and July 11 only Sorrento to Naples).
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I would not book in advance.
Just show up a little earlier or, once in Sorrento, just stroll down the wharf and get tickets there.
But if makes you feel more comfortable nothing wrong to book it online.

Alilauro schedule:

Sorrento > Napoli (Beverello)

08:10 Giornaliero - Fascia Turistica
10:00 Giornaliero - Fascia Turistica
12:00 Giornaliero - Fascia Turistica
14:00 Giornaliero - Fascia Turistica
16:25 Giornaliero - Fascia Turistica

Napoli (Beverello > Sorrento

09:00 Giornaliero - Fascia Turistica
11:00 Giornaliero - Fascia Turistica
13:00 Giornaliero - Fascia Turistica
15:05 Giornaliero - Fascia Turistica
17:15 Giornaliero - Fascia Turistica
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by htran88
Any advice regarding the hydrofoils from Sorrento to Naples? I was looking at Alilauro and NLG. Some reviews/comments on other sites say no need to purchase tickets in advanced and just to show up early to purchase tickets at the dock. Anyone have any input/advice on this? I plan to take multiple trips back and forth (July 9 round trip and July 11 only Sorrento to Naples).
I just took the Alilauro last week, Naples to Sorrento. You really don't need to buy tickets in advance, I think the service charge is like 6 euros. On the one hand, it would save you the somewhat chaotic on site ticket purchase process. On the other, you're locked into a specific sailing. Be aware, there is a 2 euro per bag charge beyond the cost of your ticket (collected on board if you don't prepurchase it).
Two more tips. If you're coming from the train station, and insist on public transport, consider using Metro Linea 1 to Municipio rather than the Alibus. Fare is 1 euro vs. 4. And the Alibus is usually crazy mobbed. Best advice is to take a cab. Fare is fixed at 11 euros, 1 euro for each passenger over 4, and 0,50 for large bags. The extra cost is worth the baggage hassle of public transport. Expect wildly varying quotes from drivers. Show them the rate card. Which you can download and print here
http://www.napoliunplugged.com/naples-taxi-services
Naples = chaos. Go with the flow, but know before you go.
Sorrento is on a cliff. There's a little bus that runs you up to Piazza Tasso, but the Lift is more pleasant. From the port, you walk along the public beach and follow the signs for "ASCENSORI." Costs 1 euro, leaves you in front of Hotel Tremontano. Of course, the convenience depends on where you're staying.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Just curious, any advice from Naples to Poistano via ferry/hydrofoil? I was going to take the train from Naples to Sorrento and then take the ferry to Positano. Does it make sense to take the hydrofoil to Sorrento and then the ferry to Positano? Do you arrive in Sorrento and leave for Positano from the same port? I would assume so.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by sportsguymichael
Just curious, any advice from Naples to Poistano via ferry/hydrofoil? I was going to take the train from Naples to Sorrento and then take the ferry to Positano. Does it make sense to take the hydrofoil to Sorrento and then the ferry to Positano? Do you arrive in Sorrento and leave for Positano from the same port? I would assume so.
Yes, same port.

Unlikely there's a direct ferry, you have to change in Sorrento anyway.
But it's easy.
If you have to wait just walk up or take the lift to the city of Sorrento (takes 5 min. from the ferry pier to the lift) and just wait at the belvedere (lookout terrace) over there.

Might be your best connection time ever.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by htran88
I made the trip on Tuesday from Naples to Sorrento. I think Forest Bump and Rickg 523 have given you good advice. I just showed up 20-30 minutes prior and bought my ticket at the dock. It may be crowded at Sorrento to buy your tickets at the dick but as long as you leave yourself a little time you should be ok. My travels were by ferry from Naples to Sorrento then SITA bus to Positano because the ferry from Sorrento to Positano was canceled due to rough seas I guess. Return was Positano to Capri by hydrofoil and then Capri to Naples on
The ferry.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 7:32 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Do all ferries have only indoor decks? I was looking for ferrys with outdoor seats but it seems there aren't. I saw a video in Youtube a boat from Sorrento to Positano (the trip I want to do) with outdoor seats but it doesn't mention the company in the description nor comments. It's look it is kind a touristic boat (and probably more expensive).
Old Mar 22, 2023, 8:58 pm

Aliscafi (i.e. hydrofoils) and most kinds of smaller fast and "superfast" boats almost never have "outdoor decks". The main reason for this lack is safety, plus the fact that one always gets wet through the combination of speed and waves. Actually, given the way these fast vessels are designed there is simply no space to accomodate an open deck. On the other hand, "conventional" smaller ferries almost always have "outdoor decks"; they are, though, about 50% slower and, certainly, cheaper.
Villavic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.