FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ferry Sorrento to Naples
View Single Post
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:25 am
rickg523
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by htran88
Any advice regarding the hydrofoils from Sorrento to Naples? I was looking at Alilauro and NLG. Some reviews/comments on other sites say no need to purchase tickets in advanced and just to show up early to purchase tickets at the dock. Anyone have any input/advice on this? I plan to take multiple trips back and forth (July 9 round trip and July 11 only Sorrento to Naples).
I just took the Alilauro last week, Naples to Sorrento. You really don't need to buy tickets in advance, I think the service charge is like 6 euros. On the one hand, it would save you the somewhat chaotic on site ticket purchase process. On the other, you're locked into a specific sailing. Be aware, there is a 2 euro per bag charge beyond the cost of your ticket (collected on board if you don't prepurchase it).
Two more tips. If you're coming from the train station, and insist on public transport, consider using Metro Linea 1 to Municipio rather than the Alibus. Fare is 1 euro vs. 4. And the Alibus is usually crazy mobbed. Best advice is to take a cab. Fare is fixed at 11 euros, 1 euro for each passenger over 4, and 0,50 for large bags. The extra cost is worth the baggage hassle of public transport. Expect wildly varying quotes from drivers. Show them the rate card. Which you can download and print here
http://www.napoliunplugged.com/naples-taxi-services
Naples = chaos. Go with the flow, but know before you go.
Sorrento is on a cliff. There's a little bus that runs you up to Piazza Tasso, but the Lift is more pleasant. From the port, you walk along the public beach and follow the signs for "ASCENSORI." Costs 1 euro, leaves you in front of Hotel Tremontano. Of course, the convenience depends on where you're staying.