Reload this Page >

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rove312
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci
Main airport of Rome, located in Fiumicino
NOTE: Wikiposts are community property and maintained; they can be edited by signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts.
Wikipost contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner next to Edit button).

Location: 35 km (22 mi.) southwest of Rome, connected by road (taxi, etc. approx. one hour) and train (30 minutes).

Address: Aeroporto Internazionale Fiumicino, Via dell' Aeroporto di Fiumicino, 320, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italy

Websites
Link to Rome Airports official site (English); Collegamento a sito ufficiale di Aeroporti di Roma (Italiano)
Extensive information on transportation, arrivals and departures, etc.
Link to Wikipedia page on FCO.

Terminals
As of December 2021, FCO's active terminals are T1 and T3.

To determine the terminal for your airline, do a search at https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ore-travelling . As of May 2022, the list of airlines using each terminal appears outdated; for example Lufthansa isn't on the list of airlines using T1, but a search shows it using T1. For the most part, Schengen based airlines use Terminal 1; non-Schengen Terminal 3.

Gates are numbered with A for Schengen, E for non-Schengen; U.S.-bound flights are generally from the satellite gate area E31-44, accessed by a rail people mover. All gates can be accessed from either terminal; for example ITA flights to the U.S. check in at T1, on the east side of the complex, but depart from the satellite gates well to the west.

Baggage claim is at T1 for Schengen (i.e. if connecting, the flight to FCO departs from a Schengen airport), T3 for non-Schengen, regardless of which terminal the airline uses for check-in.

Lodging
Two hotels located at FCO, One located on its periphery:
Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Via Arturo Ferrarin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino, Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-65258 FAX: +39-06-6525 6525
517 Soundproofed rooms
Airport Train Station at walking distance
Connected to all terminals by covered pedestrian walkway
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop)
Complimentary shuttle bus to downtown Rome 8 times a day
Link to property website
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

HelloSky Rome
Via Generale Felice Santini (Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci), 00054 Fiumicino RM
TEL +39 06 971 50 200
E-mail: [email protected]
Located landside, in front of Terminals 1 and 3
29 Rooms, not a traditional hotel: includes an arrivals lounge, shower rentals and VIP fast track offers
More info in this post: FCO: HelloSky's New Arrival Lounge + Air Rooms (Hilton no longer only onsite hotel)

Hilton Garden Inn
Via Vittorio Bragadin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-6525 9000 FAX: +39-06-6525 9001
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop - no pedestrian access
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport {ITA}

Other hotels and B&Bs are located at Fiumicino near the airport, including Best Western Hotel Rome Airport, Golden Tulip, Sllep and Fly, etc.

Transport
Link to FT thread: FCO ground transportation options
Link to ADR FCO page on transport, parking, etc.
Link to Rome Toolkit page on FCO surface transport.

Train Station is well signed, covered pedestrian way with moving walkways, lifts / escalators, 5-10 minutes walking from terminals.
Leonardo Express (Trenitalia) to/from Rome Termini railway station departing every 15-30 minutes and trip time of 32 minutes. 14€. Onward connections. Advance online ticket purchase includes discounts include fast track and FCO lounges. Trenitalia link
Regional FL1 trains to/from other Rome stations including Rome Tiburtina. Departures every 15 to 30 minutes.
Frecciargento (Trenitalia high speed train) to / from cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice daily.
Departure from Fiumicino Airport: 13.53. Arrival at Fiumicino Airport: 14.07.

Bus link (Terravision info on this linked page is outdated. See the other link below)
Several local busses serve FCO, and can get you to Ostia Lido, Fiumicino, several Rome locations including Termini rail station, connections to the underground, etc. Terravision bus is the one of the economical transport to Rome at 5.90€. Link.
Or try S.I.T from T-3 with three stops in the center. http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/fares/
Direct bus to Naples: https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Left luggage / porterage
Luggage storage in Terminal 3, International Arrivals, daily every 7 am to 11 pm
Telephone: +39 0665953541
Rate: 10€ per suitcase for up to 24 hours; payment upon collection of baggage.
Luggage porter service available for a fee, which can be requested at the ADR information desks and from the interactive multimedia stations.
​To book the porter service:
Telephone +39 0665958349-7510
Fax +39 0665955133
email [email protected]

Print Wikipost

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2024, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by PB2
Flying out of FCO tomorrow, T1 A gates with Iberia to Madrid. 2 adults, OW Emerald and Sapphire, with a guest each. Is the Plaza Premium lounge the best place to head? I read the “premium” drinks are free for some airline guests - Iberia? Anyone know if Iberia usually open checkin desks a strictly STD -2hr or if they are likely to be open earlier? Believe we can show Amex Platinum cards for security fast track - anyone have experience of taking guest through? Any advice appreciated!
Amex Platinum will get you fast track, but guests aren't mentioned in the published policy, just the primary cardholder and authorized users.The Plaza Premium lounge is great, but it's over in T3 airside, which is on the other side of passport control. Not sure if they'd let you, but would not be worth the hassle. There's a Prime Class lounge in T1, which is the A gates, that I've heard is decent.There's also a Prima Vista lounge which the internet says is bad, but I haven't been.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:33 am
PB2

Thank you - oneworld website says there is also a Plaza Premium lounge at the T1 A gates, so will pop in there.
PWMTrav likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by PB2
Thank you - oneworld website says there is also a Plaza Premium lounge at the T1 A gates, so will pop in there.
Huh, you're right! I'd give that one a shot first too. The one in T3 was very good - including made to order food, but no idea if the T1 lounge is similar. I know nothing about this site, but reviews are few and far between and they wrote one: https://sealthedealtravels.com/blog/...co-terminal-1/
Old Mar 5, 2024, 12:12 am
PB2

Thanks - just to follow up we went to the Plaza Premium in the T1 schengen area. It’s on level one by a few other lounges. I was impressed by what seems a fairly new terminal. Whilst the lounge is small and fairly busy it was modern and kept clean by friendly staff. Food was just a buffet with 5/6 hot options plus pastries and a salad bar. Water is by filter tap. The manned bar had a very extensive list of drinks/cocktails, all with prices, but as I’d read online, with Iberia entry at least, all drinks are free. I had a glass of white (10€), aperol spritz (6€) and limoncello (5€) all without charge - I had to ask as this info wasn’t volunteered. Indeed the lady in front paid and only then got a refund once she heard me asking if free. No champagne as you’d perhaps expect - they did have Prosecco. The bar also has a proper coffee machine instead of using the bean to cup down by the buffet. I had a double espresso and others had cappuccinos - some of the best coffee we had during our time in Italy. Toilets only had 2 cubicles so maybe better to use those in the main terminal. All in all, an impressive third party schengen lounge, if mainly for the drinks. No mention of any time limit for us. Oh, and Iberia checkin was open 3h before the flight when we arrived. Just one desk at that time, serving the business queue first.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by PB2
...{long snip}...I had a glass of white (10€)...even longer snip}...
Whaaaaat? This is more than what you'd pay for a glass of wine in Germany or in Sweden! I wonder whether there exists an Italian, even an alcoholic, who would be willing to pay this amount for a glass of wine (I guess the latter would have come to the airport with his own bottle, bought for half that amount).
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Purchase of Cotral bus tickets

Originally Posted by Grace B
I've now set myself up on the app (which was quite a feat as I'm not in Italy and it's a bit buggy). It would appear that I can now use it to purchase (virtual) Cotral tickets, but the real test will be when I actually try and get on the bus.
For those who may be interested, I have now been able to purchase a ticket via the Cotral app, and will activate it when I arrive at FCO next week.

This was not an easy or straightforward process. I tried using several different credit/debit cards over a period of several days, and the app refused to cooperate, basically ignoring them. Today I tried again with a UK debit Mastercard (which I had also previously tried) and it worked like a charm.

The moral of the story seems to be if you wish to use the app to purchase tickets allow plenty of time (at least a week) to do so.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 10:51 am

FCO self transfer

Hi, is 2 hours 20 mins enough time to self transfer with luggage at Rome FCO. Middle of June time, coming from Gatwick, landing midday, connecting to go Saudi.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by thew_ycc
Hi, is 2 hours 20 mins enough time to self transfer with luggage at Rome FCO. Middle of June time, coming from Gatwick, landing midday, connecting to go Saudi.
Possibly if everything is on time and there aren't excessive waits. I'd probably want a little more time though. If I understand the process correctly, you'd need to land, clear passport control, get your luggage, check it in at the counter, then clear security, passport control again, and then get to your gate. That'd be uncomfortable for me.
beckoa likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
If I understand the process correctly, you'd need to land, clear passport control, get your luggage, check it in at the counter, then clear security, passport control again, and then get to your gate. That'd be uncomfortable for me.
2:20 for an international transfer on separate tickets with checked bags will be potentially risky at most any airport anywhere in the world. FCO is actually pretty easy, with minimal formalities and very efficient, hi-tech security. The unknowns here are potential inbound flight delay, time to receive bags, and potentially long lines to recheck the bags, depending on airline and class of service/status.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 7:59 pm

OP: Medically speaking, there's no problem if you're in your twenties and fit. Otherwise you risk a heart attack and/or a stroke. And the immediate risk will already start at Gatwick while waiting to see whether your flight to FCO will be on time! Anyway, thanks a lot for bringing back from my deeply burried memories "Hier encore", this great song by Charles Aznavour.
beckoa and PWMTrav like this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 2:07 am

For those who may be interested, I have now been able to purchase a ticket via the Cotral app, and will activate it when I arrive at FCO next week.

This was not an easy or straightforward process. I tried using several different credit/debit cards over a period of several days, and the app refused to cooperate, basically ignoring them. Today I tried again with a UK debit Mastercard (which I had also previously tried) and it worked like a charm.

The moral of the story seems to be if you wish to use the app to purchase tickets allow plenty of time (at least a week) to do so.
Well, just to complete the story, I was able to successfully activate the ticket by scanning the QR code on the bus using the app, so the process does work, as long as you can actually purchase the ticket on the app (that seems to be the weakest link).

On arrival at FCO from ATH on A3 (Terminal 1) I did try to find somewhere to purchase a paper ticket as backup, but my efforts were in vain. Every caffe or likely looking outlet just shrugged their shoulders. So if you are planning to use a Cotral bus (for example, to EUR Magliana, Fiumicino or elsewhere in Lazio) I would recommend that you use the app, or else end up paying 7 Euros cash to the driver (not a King's ransom, I would admit).
Old Apr 8, 2024, 11:58 am

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
On arrival at FCO from ATH on A3 (Terminal 1) I did try to find somewhere to purchase a paper ticket as backup...
I just read this on Rome2Rio.com:
"Tickets can be purchased for €1,10 at WHSmith in area C (by gates C08-C16). Tickets for a single trip can also be purchased on board, at the price of €7"
Old Apr 9, 2024, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by rabilancia
I just read this on Rome2Rio.com:
"Tickets can be purchased for €1,10 at WHSmith in area C (by gates C08-C16). Tickets for a single trip can also be purchased on board, at the price of €7"
Certainly tickets can be purchased on board for EUR7. Though that's a bit of a hike from EUR1.30.

You may (or may not) be able to purchase Cotral tickets from W H Smith near the C Gates, but I've had no luck from W H Smith outlets at FCO. And in any case, if arriving at Terminal 1, as I was, it doesn't really help.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 7:37 am

That would appear to be outdated, since there are no C-numbered gates now. I think what were C are now A and served by Terminal 1, but the airport site's one listing for WH Smith has it in E airside.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by rove312
That would appear to be outdated, since there are no C-numbered gates now. I think what were C are now A and served by Terminal 1, but the airport site's one listing for WH Smith has it in E airside.
I agree. Everything on the Cotral website is outdated.

You just have to fend for yourself. So really, if arriving, just have to use the Cotral app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.