Reload this Page >

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rove312
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci
Main airport of Rome, located in Fiumicino
NOTE: Wikiposts are community property and maintained; they can be edited by signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts.
Wikipost contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner next to Edit button).

Location: 35 km (22 mi.) southwest of Rome, connected by road (taxi, etc. approx. one hour) and train (30 minutes).

Address: Aeroporto Internazionale Fiumicino, Via dell' Aeroporto di Fiumicino, 320, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italy

Websites
Link to Rome Airports official site (English); Collegamento a sito ufficiale di Aeroporti di Roma (Italiano)
Extensive information on transportation, arrivals and departures, etc.
Link to Wikipedia page on FCO.

Terminals
As of December 2021, FCO's active terminals are T1 and T3.

To determine the terminal for your airline, do a search at https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ore-travelling . As of May 2022, the list of airlines using each terminal appears outdated; for example Lufthansa isn't on the list of airlines using T1, but a search shows it using T1. For the most part, Schengen based airlines use Terminal 1; non-Schengen Terminal 3.

Gates are numbered with A for Schengen, E for non-Schengen; U.S.-bound flights are generally from the satellite gate area E31-44, accessed by a rail people mover. All gates can be accessed from either terminal; for example ITA flights to the U.S. check in at T1, on the east side of the complex, but depart from the satellite gates well to the west.

Baggage claim is at T1 for Schengen (i.e. if connecting, the flight to FCO departs from a Schengen airport), T3 for non-Schengen, regardless of which terminal the airline uses for check-in.

Lodging
Two hotels located at FCO, One located on its periphery:
Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Via Arturo Ferrarin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino, Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-65258 FAX: +39-06-6525 6525
517 Soundproofed rooms
Airport Train Station at walking distance
Connected to all terminals by covered pedestrian walkway
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop)
Complimentary shuttle bus to downtown Rome 8 times a day
Link to property website
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

HelloSky Rome
Via Generale Felice Santini (Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci), 00054 Fiumicino RM
TEL +39 06 971 50 200
E-mail: [email protected]
Located landside, in front of Terminals 1 and 3
29 Rooms, not a traditional hotel: includes an arrivals lounge, shower rentals and VIP fast track offers
More info in this post: FCO: HelloSky's New Arrival Lounge + Air Rooms (Hilton no longer only onsite hotel)

Hilton Garden Inn
Via Vittorio Bragadin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-6525 9000 FAX: +39-06-6525 9001
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop - no pedestrian access
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport {ITA}

Other hotels and B&Bs are located at Fiumicino near the airport, including Best Western Hotel Rome Airport, Golden Tulip, Sllep and Fly, etc.

Transport
Link to FT thread: FCO ground transportation options
Link to ADR FCO page on transport, parking, etc.
Link to Rome Toolkit page on FCO surface transport.

Train Station is well signed, covered pedestrian way with moving walkways, lifts / escalators, 5-10 minutes walking from terminals.
Leonardo Express (Trenitalia) to/from Rome Termini railway station departing every 15-30 minutes and trip time of 32 minutes. 14€. Onward connections. Advance online ticket purchase includes discounts include fast track and FCO lounges. Trenitalia link
Regional FL1 trains to/from other Rome stations including Rome Tiburtina. Departures every 15 to 30 minutes.
Frecciargento (Trenitalia high speed train) to / from cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice daily.
Departure from Fiumicino Airport: 13.53. Arrival at Fiumicino Airport: 14.07.

Bus link (Terravision info on this linked page is outdated. See the other link below)
Several local busses serve FCO, and can get you to Ostia Lido, Fiumicino, several Rome locations including Termini rail station, connections to the underground, etc. Terravision bus is the one of the economical transport to Rome at 5.90€. Link.
Or try S.I.T from T-3 with three stops in the center. http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/fares/
Direct bus to Naples: https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Left luggage / porterage
Luggage storage in Terminal 3, International Arrivals, daily every 7 am to 11 pm
Telephone: +39 0665953541
Rate: 10€ per suitcase for up to 24 hours; payment upon collection of baggage.
Luggage porter service available for a fee, which can be requested at the ADR information desks and from the interactive multimedia stations.
​To book the porter service:
Telephone +39 0665958349-7510
Fax +39 0665955133
email [email protected]

Print Wikipost

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:58 am

Thank you....it's extremely helpful for us.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
You'll be fine. The steps are:
- Passport Control (biggest variable, but the most I've ever waited is 30 mins)
- Get bags (probably there by the time you arrive at the carousel)
- Walk 10 mins over to T1
- Recheck bags (the longest I've waited was 30 mins, and it was for an Aer Lingus flight, and we were the longest line in the whole damn terminal)
- Clear security (5-10 mins, or closer to 1-2 mins if you have expedited security - I saw signs that said Amex Platinum cards get you through there, fyi)
- Walk to gate (5-15 mins - T1 is long, my last flight landed at the very end of the terminal and it took us 15 mins to get landside, not walking fast at all)

So anyhow, you're going to have some time on your hands. T1 is a modern terminal with shopping, food, etc. ITA also has a lounge there, but I've never been in it (now, or when it was Alitalia).
Another question please

When we move to Terminal 1 do we actually exit Terminal 3 and walk around on the sidewalk ? We will have picked up our bags and will need to recheck them in T1 as this leg is on a separate ticket with ITA.

Are the Terminals connected where we could walk inside shielded from the elements ? or a people mover you could stand on ?
Old Mar 29, 2023, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Macrinus
When we move to Terminal 1 do we actually exit Terminal 3 and walk around on the sidewalk ? We will have picked up our bags and will need to recheck them in T1 as this leg is on a separate ticket with ITA.
Are the Terminals connected where we could walk inside shielded from the elements ? or a people mover you could stand on ?
Yes, you have to exit T3, but not onto the road. The terminals are connected outside by raised covered walkways, mostly with walkalators, so you will be sheltered from the elements.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by goback
I used a proper bank ATM up near the COVID testing facility last week. It was hidden away, but there. I was charged a €2 surcharge at the machine, but it didn't translate onto my bank account.
What bank ATM is this? We are arriving via SK (Terminal 1), and I would like to withdraw some Euros for tour guide gratuities, etc. before heading into the city.

Also, we are flying WizzAir back to Sweden. This would be a 6pm flight on a weekday in June. We won't be checking any bags, and I'm hoping to get a QPass. How early should we arrive if we want to get through security by 5pm at the absolute latest?

Last edited by pseudoswede; Apr 3, 2023 at 7:11 pm
Old Apr 5, 2023, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
What bank ATM is this? We are arriving via SK (Terminal 1), and I would like to withdraw some Euros for tour guide gratuities, etc. before heading into the city.
Since you're talking about taking a train from the airport, when I was last there I used an ATM from Intesa Sanpaolo at the airport station.
pseudoswede likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 8:07 am

https://www.adr.it/fco-connect

For now I see this only in Italian, and it probably doesn't help too many readers here. It says that people who've taken a high-speed Trenitalia train (on the same day? Probably not limited to the few high-speed trains that go to the airport) can use a baggage check-in counter at the airport station for ITA-operated flights, and flights to the U.S. and Israel are excluded.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, ITA Executive
New ITA Lounge T1

Finally, a closer located lounge for the ITA Gates. I got an email today advertising the opening of the "Hangar Lounge" in Terminal 1 (A). A quote from the email: "The new Hangar Lounge replaces the Piazza Venezia Temporary Lounge". This lounge will open on April 20th. It will have a working area with all necessary services, a VIP room for more privacy, and of course a buffet and a bar. Very exciting!

According to the lounge map on the ADR website, it will be located very close to the Schengen Area ITA departures. You can see on the map below that there are two new lounges being built for the corridor next to A61-83 - one of these is the new Primeclass Lounge, which I saw is now on Priority Pass! It is on the second floor.

FCO Lounge Map from ADR Website. Obtained 13 April 2023
Old Apr 13, 2023, 8:41 pm

The Piazza Venezia lounge will be closed? Well, I never liked this lounge (for no real obvious reasons) so, as far as I'm concerned, "good riddance" !
Old Apr 25, 2023, 12:20 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
I'm considering this connection at FCO, does it seem viable on separate tickets? I will have one check-in bag.

BAH-FCO - GF27 - 0635 Arrival (Business) - T3
FCO-TIA - AZ582 - 0915 Departure (Economy) - T1
Old Apr 25, 2023, 1:29 am

Assuming that you have no problems getting though immigration, then, yes, this connection is viable, even with a check-in bag. It would be a comfortable connection if your inbound flight arrives on time, and I see from FlightAware that it usually does, but you are of course vulnerable to delays.
Anish likes this.
Old May 12, 2023, 3:39 pm

Can I make it?

Need advice from the expert community.

Trying to determine likelihood of getting through FCO with minimal time to flight. Here’s the situation:

Saturday afternoon departure in early June

United 506 FCO-SFO
3:20 pm departure
Likely from Terminal 3 E30-40+ gates
Polaris/biz class - United global services
Online checkin so boarding passes in hand
Carryon bags only
Good shape and willing to sprint!!

I don’t care about lounge, food, shopping or anything. I just want to make the flight.

I’ll arrive at airport at 1:45pm. So 1:35 hrs from departure.

Not sure if I get fast track with biz class but willing to pay the €7 in advance if it helps.

Odds of making it?
Old May 12, 2023, 7:21 pm

1) I guess you'll be arriving by train to FCO, and you assume that there will be no delay. The odds are good, but I remember once when, the next day, I read in thr paper that there had been a small incident and they stopped traffic for more than 60 minutes... You'd have missed your flight while waiting for your train to start moving again!
2) Going through security and immigration usually takes no more than 30 minutes so, again, the odds are good, Careful, though: I wrote usually not always.
3) If I were a gambler, I'do it, but I'm not! Are you?
Old May 13, 2023, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Raven139AS
Odds of making it?
Your odds are good, if there are no delays to your arriving at the airport. Of course, in order to weigh these sorts of decisions properly, one would need to know how critical it is to be on that flight, and what the costs are (pecuniary or otherwise) of missing it, but, in the absence of any further context, I would take the risk.
Old May 13, 2023, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
1) I guess you'll be arriving by train to FCO, and you assume that there will be no delay. The odds are good, but I remember once when, the next day, I read in thr paper that there had been a small incident and they stopped traffic for more than 60 minutes... You'd have missed your flight while waiting for your train to start moving again!
2) Going through security and immigration usually takes no more than 30 minutes so, again, the odds are good, Careful, though: I wrote usually not always.
3) If I were a gambler, I'do it, but I'm not! Are you?
thanks KLouis & RatherGhastly . I’ll be arriving by car service/limo so feel pretty good about arrival time.

I’m normally not a gambler but have no choice here as it is only way home for me on that day and fall back would be to reschedule.

should I get the fast track is that helpful? Don’t know if that comes with a biz class ticket or is somehow separate as it seems some EU airports I get it and others I don’t. Thanks!
Old May 13, 2023, 7:50 pm

I'd want another 30 minutes in case anything goes wrong, but that's just me. Your odds are good, but any real delay and you miss your flight. I think traffic might be your biggest risk - backups just happen in Rome.

I'm not sure if you'll have fast track - I ended up paying for it even though I was flying business, and at the airport learned that Amex Platinum also lets you through. I think you'll need to use the checkpoint to the right of the checkin desks for the fast track lane, then clear passport control, then take a fairly long walk. Fast track is just a shorter line, so be ready to take your laptop/ipad out, belt, shoes (I think).

My last time through, fast track was quick. Passport control took maybe 5 minutes (EU passports lane). Checking my bag took almost 30 minutes (Aer Lingus has no business class checkin at FCO, because there is no intra-europe business class with them), but subtract that and I would have definitely been at my gate in the amount of time you have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.