Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

3 week stay at Intercontinental -- get IHG credit card/buy Ambassador status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hyatt

My husband is set to stay at Intercontinental Suites Cleveland for 3 weeks while he has outpatient treatment at Cleveland Clinic (staying on corporate rate affiliated with the medical program). We are new to IHG and don't currently have any points or status but would like to maximize the experience as much as possible. Would you recommend getting an IHG credit card? (Note he get a Marriott visa a little over a month ago). What about buying the Ambassador status? We don't have any other current plans for IHG stays but certainly would make use of the points in the future if we had them.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

First, add your IHG account number to the reservation. Then, I would recommend emailing the hotel to ask what Platinum status (from the credit card) or Ambassador status would get on your reservation with your specific corporate rate. Different corporate rates might have different T&C restrictions on upgrades.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:36 am

With the credit card comes platinum status, platinum status gives you a 50% bonus on earning points, so that might be interesting.

Enroll for the Accelerate promotion, before the stay, so you will also earn more points.

I would only consider Ambassador if you do intent to stay at ICs in the future. Benefits are limited, and not guaranteed when staying on points.

If you would buy Ambassador, make sure to buy it upon check in at the hotel you have this 3 week stay. Ask them upfront what they are willing to throw in (good upgrade) when buying it with them. This might sweeten the deal, and make it worth it even for just this single stay.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by 336

If you would buy Ambassador, make sure to buy it upon check in at the hotel you have this 3 week stay. Ask them upfront what they are willing to throw in (good upgrade) when buying it with them. This might sweeten the deal, and make it worth it even for just this single stay.
Careful with that advice. I don't know how it is these days, but in the past you wouldn't have been eligible to earn IHG Rewards Club points for the entire (30-night) stay when you bought Ambassador status at check-in... and that's missing out on a whole lotta points!!! I therefor suggest doing it prior to your stay.

Also, I did a random check comparing both regular rates to the corporate clinic rate... on al 5 nights checked the roomrate was identical, with the exception of the corporate identification number added. So instead of you getting a discount with this rate, I rather think that the clinic is receiving a commission on your hotelstay. If this is the case, you're better of booking BAR through a cashback site, for instance there's currently 6% cashback at www.mrrebates.com?refid=1129557, I usually use https://www.shoop.de/invite/fvikdr1s5v/ which currently gives 12% cashback on InterContinental Hotels, but it's a -very efficient- German site which might be challenging for most people whom don't read or write German.

Last edited by Stealthmode; Jun 14, 2018 at 3:09 am
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by 336
With the credit card comes platinum status, platinum status gives you a 50% bonus on earning points, so that might be interesting.

Enroll for the Accelerate promotion, before the stay, so you will also earn more points.

I would only consider Ambassador if you do intent to stay at ICs in the future. Benefits are limited, and not guaranteed when staying on points.

A one category upgrade is guaranteed
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:10 am

A one cat upgrade from an entry level room is in some places barely noticeable.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by 336
And if you reserve a room in the category under a suite it will be noticeable. This isn't really the point .... a one category upgrade is guaranteed as Ambassador and not as you suggest "Benefits are limited and not guaranteed"
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I would get the $89 IHG card. This will get you an additional 15 points per dollar spent at the hotel (5 for Platinum status, 10 as a credit card benefit). If you spend $3000, this gets you an additional 45000 points, good for a free night at most IHG hotels (as a reference, the IC Cleveland is 30000 points per night).
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by blitzen
And if you reserve a room in the category under a suite it will be noticeable. This isn't really the point .... a one category upgrade is guaranteed as Ambassador and not as you suggest "Benefits are limited and not guaranteed"
Nope. Benefits are not guaranteed on a reward stay. Which is exactly what I said initially. What did you want to prove with misquoting me intentionally?

If you have a paid stay, and study the room categories upfront, the guaranteed upgrade can give you a great deal, if you are weary about imaginary upgrade categories which too many ICs seem to have.

If you simply book an entry level room, dont get your hopes up of getting a noticeable different room.

Last edited by 336; Jun 14, 2018 at 9:23 am
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thealphalion
First, add your IHG account number to the reservation. Then, I would recommend emailing the hotel to ask what Platinum status (from the credit card) or Ambassador status would get on your reservation with your specific corporate rate. Different corporate rates might have different T&C restrictions on upgrades.
When I called to make the reservation I did ask about the ambassador status and the agent was all "oh you should definitely get it." When I asked what room type the upgrade would be he said he wasn't on site and didn't know, but that the rate code I was using was eligible. I haven't yet tried contacting the hotel directly.

Originally Posted by 336
I did do that but since the IHG rewards account is new (I'm guessing), the offerings aren't particularly great, but it's better than nothing. I assume we could get at most the 500 for the app, 2,000 for Stay more, earn more, and 2,000 for bonus weekend stay?
500 points -- Download the IHG App
2,000 points -- Stay More, Earn More Get closer to the rewards you want when you stay 3 night(s) and earn 2,000 bonus points.2,000 points -- Your Rate Stay 2 times using our member exclusive discount, Your Rate, and earn 2,000 bonus points.
2,000 points -- Stay at Holiday Inn Stay at 3 Holiday Inn hotel(s)including Holiday Inn Resort and Holiday Inn Club Vacationsand earn 2,000 bonus points.
2,000 point -- A Bonus Weekend Stay Stay with us for the weekend and earn 2,000 bonus points. A Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday night stay required.
21,500 -- Your Achievement Bonus Complete 5 of the 5 offers and earn (an additional) 21,500 bonus points.

Originally Posted by Stealthmode
Also, I did a random check comparing both regular rates to the corporate clinic rate... on al 5 nights checked the roomrate was identical, with the exception of the corporate identification number added. So instead of you getting a discount with this rate, I rather think that the clinic is receiving a commission on your hotelstay. If this is the case, you're better of booking BAR through a cashback site, for instance there's currently 6% cashback at www.mrrebates.com?refid=1129557, I usually use https://www.shoop.de/invite/fvikdr1s5v/ which currently gives 12% cashback on InterContinental Hotels, but it's a -very efficient- German site which might be challenging for most people whom don't read or write German.
Thank you for this very helpful info -- I will keep in mind for the future. The rate we are using is not the published corporate rate, and I had to call to book. It's actually quite good -- $104 +tax per night for a suite.

A one category upgrade is guaranteed
Originally Posted by 336
This is what I was wondering. We are booked into a 2 dbl suite, there are 2 types of rooms higher than that -- both the same price: "pure room" for people with allergies (not much use to us) and "Ambassador room" which I am guessing is what the upgrade would be and seems to offer not a whole lot in tangible benefits over what we have: "Our Ambassador Rooms offer upgraded accommodations and services with spectacular views of the city skyline. These plush rooms with finer linens, robes, slippers, fruit and waters and upgraded bath amenities provide a level of comfort and privacy demanded by today's sophisticated travelers."
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by 336

Nope. Benefits are not guaranteed on a reward stay. Which is exactly what I said initially. What did you want to prove with misquoting me intentionally?

If you have a paid stay, and study the room categories upfront, the guaranteed upgrade can give you a great deal, if you are weary about imaginary upgrade categories which too many ICs seem to have.

If you simply book an entry level room, dont get your hopes up of getting a noticeable different room.
And are we talking here about an Awards Stay? NOPE case close > ignore mode on
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbeckett
I would get the $89 IHG card. This will get you an additional 15 points per dollar spent at the hotel (5 for Platinum status, 10 as a credit card benefit). If you spend $3000, this gets you an additional 45000 points, good for a free night at most IHG hotels (as a reference, the IC Cleveland is 30000 points per night).
Is this the same card you are talking about: IHG Premier? I haven't really researched the available cards yet, but the idea of leveraging a card application to make the stay earn enough points to be useful is appealing to me.

I have two concerns, the main one being his stay starts on Sunday June 17, so even with instant approval the card wouldn't arrive before his stay starts, although I would imagine I could get it to him before he checks out. I didn't know if this could potentially mess with any increased points earning. His stay is broken up into two reservations right now, and could be changed further if that would help (I'm guessing this would have to be done before the cancellation window closes). Second concern: He is under 5/24 but did apply for the chase Marriott card just barely over a month ago. This could affect approval?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:44 am

And are we talking here about an Awards Stay? NOPE case close > ignore mode on
It was part of OPs specific question in the first post...
What about buying the Ambassador status?We don't have any other current plans for IHG stays but certainly would make use of the points in the future if we had them.

Looks like you are a very selective reader...

The only irrelevant piece here seems to be to book a category just under a suite, as we are talking about an all suites hotel.

Last edited by 336; Jun 14, 2018 at 9:52 am
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by waterandwoods
Is this the same card you are talking about: IHG Premier?
Yes, this is the card. I have this card, it is attractive if you stay at IHG hotels at all and want to earn IHG points. The card is not very valuable for ordinary (non-IHG) spending.

Originally Posted by waterandwoods
I have two concerns, the main one being his stay starts on Sunday June 17, so even with instant approval the card wouldn't arrive before his stay starts, although I would imagine I could get it to him before he checks out. I didn't know if this could potentially mess with any increased points earning. His stay is broken up into two reservations right now, and could be changed further if that would help (I'm guessing this would have to be done before the cancellation window closes). Second concern: He is under 5/24 but did apply for the chase Marriott card just barely over a month ago. This could affect approval?
Apply now, you'll have the card in a week. Then substitute this card for the one that you use to check in so that the payment goes onto the IHG card (assuming that you do not have a pre-paid reservation). I think that this should work and get you the full points for your stay. I am not knowledgeable enough to help with your question about approval,
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:09 am

The 5/24 rule doesn’t apply to the IHG card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.