Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions

Older Thread (Prior to December 31, 2016) could be found here. The Wiki was taken from this thread.
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by angelsgirl85
I haven't had luck with BRG for a couple of years, but I think I found a valid claim for the Lowest Price Promise for a Holiday Inn in Germany.

It's a non-refundable rate, though, so I'm wary and would like advice on whether to book the Your Rate non-refundable or YR non-refundable + breakfast. There are a variety of OTAs with lower rates. I'm not sure if I can compare rates with better cancellation policies than IHG's or not:

Amoma.com - has 2 lower rates: one for room only, "semiflexible" (partial refund for cancellations 5+ days in advance) OR one for "nonrefundable, breakfast included"

Elvoline.com - has lower rate with breakfast, fully refundable if cancelled 2+ weeks in advance

otel.com - has lower rates for both room and room + breakfast, fully refundable if cancelled 5+ days in advance

hotels.com - has lower rates both for room only and room + breakfast; both are essentially non-refundable (90% refund if cancelled before 5 PM day of arrival, which seems in line with the clause/rule below)

To complicate things, Germany seems to have a unique rule:

Rate Rules:
Cancellation Policy: Booking requires full prepayment for the entire stay, charged to your credit card between time of booking and day of arrival. Cancelling your reservation or failing to arrive results in forfeiting your prepayment less a deduction for the saved expenses to the hotel (generally 10% of booking price), which will be repaid to your credit card. Taxes may apply. *Cancellation policy for hotels in Germany: There will be a deduction from this charge for expenses saved by the hotel (generally 10% of the booking price).

I'm not sure if this is a government-mandated law (in which case even the 'non-refundable' rates of the other OTAs would also give back 10% even if they don't state this), or if this means I shouldn't even attempt a claim since no other OTA lists this clause exactly - though hotels.com comes close.

If anyone can recommend which room/rate to book and which OTA to challenge for LPP, I'd greatly appreciate advice.
If the lowest rate at OTAs are lower than Your Rate at ihg.com, then you can go ahead and file a claim (I would only rely on major sites like hotel.com, expedia etc.) - provided that you are ok with the rate if they reject you for whatever bogus reason.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by mitpat474
you can still do OTA non refundable vs IHG flex rate though.
I just got denied for this. IC Palazzo in Vegas only lists refundable rates, $229/night. OTA has non-refundable for $139/night. Filed BRG and was denied since OTA was non-refundable and I booked a refundable on IHG.com.

I emailed back that there is no option to book refundable on IHG.com and I compared lowest price on IHG.com with lowest price on OTA, waiting for a response but not sure what to expect.

Here is the email:

"We have verified the competing site www.agoda.com and we were able to find out that the lower rate is listed and available. However, please note that you have booked a flexible rate where it is possible to cancel the reservation without penalty before 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on Saturday, 4 February, 2017 will result in no charge, while the third-party site levies a Non Refundable Rate. Please be advised that this would make the lower rate being claimed more restrictive than the reservation you have booked and as such we are unable to compare the two rates for the purpose of the Guarantee."
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:17 pm

Can anyone point me to sites for Oman (charging in Omani Rial)? Can offer AED sites in exchange
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by whimike
I just got denied for this. IC Palazzo in Vegas only lists refundable rates, $229/night. OTA has non-refundable for $139/night. Filed BRG and was denied since OTA was non-refundable and I booked a refundable on IHG.com.

I emailed back that there is no option to book refundable on IHG.com and I compared lowest price on IHG.com with lowest price on OTA, waiting for a response but not sure what to expect.

Here is the email:

"We have verified the competing site www.agoda.com and we were able to find out that the lower rate is listed and available. However, please note that you have booked a flexible rate where it is possible to cancel the reservation without penalty before 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on Saturday, 4 February, 2017 will result in no charge, while the third-party site levies a Non Refundable Rate. Please be advised that this would make the lower rate being claimed more restrictive than the reservation you have booked and as such we are unable to compare the two rates for the purpose of the Guarantee."
They apply different rules for the Palazzo and Venetian. Cancellation terms must match at these hotels in order for the guarantee to be valid. With all other hotels you can match a refundable rate on IHG.com to a non-refundable 3rd party rate as long as the refundable rate is the lowest rate on IHG.com. It's silly they apply different rules to two hotels, but that's how it has been the past year or two. If you look back in this thread you will see other reports of this.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:03 am

New Zealand?

Can anyone suggest sites for New Zealand in NZD? I could only find airnewzealand.com, and that's it. Others will display NZD if you ask, but don't appear to actually bill in NZD. In exchange I can share successful strategies for USD.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by UserMark
Can anyone suggest sites for New Zealand ... In exchange I can share successful strategies for USD.
How about sharing those strategies without a quid pro quo?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:24 am

Submitted a claim on Thursday and got a reply 4 hours later asking for "additional time"...nothing heard ever since.

I guess they don't want to do the BRG :\
Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Yunnnn
Submitted a claim on Thursday and got a reply 4 hours later asking for "additional time"...nothing heard ever since.

I guess they don't want to do the BRG :\
I've gotten this many times before. It just depends how long they take to reply back. It could be a few hours, a day, a week, a month. You can always follow up after a couple weeks if you don't hear anything by then. They should respond before your stay though. When I get this response, sometimes they come back saying my claim is valid, but other times they say it's denied. It doesn't necessarily mean your claim has been denied.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:12 pm

Apologies if this has already been covered in this thread. I did try a search and came up empty. I have a question about a recent "Best Price Guarantee" claim which was approved.

First, just to add my data point, my claim was submitted at approximately 6:20 p.m. CST Saturday night and I received the e-mail at 1:45 a.m. Sunday informing me that my claim had been approved. So about a 7.5 hour response time.

Now with regard to the details of my claim. The IHG.com rates for the stay in question were as follows:

Night 1 - $396.90
Night 2 - $274.40
Night 3 - $249.90
Night 4 - $274.40
Night 5 - $216.58
Night 6 - $316.54
Total: $1701.72 Nightly Avg: $283.62

The rates on the "other site" for my stay were as follows:

Night 1 - $344.25
Night 2 - $238.00
Night 3 - $216.75
Night 4 - $238.00
Night 5 - $187.85
Night 6 - $274.55
Total: $1499.40 Nightly Avg: $249.90

As per the terms of the Best Price Guarantee, "we will provide you with the first night’s room price at the IHG hotel free and match the lower average nightly room price found for your entire stay for the rest of the nights of your stay."

So now on to my actual question. They will not INCREASE the rate for night 5 of the stay from $216.58 to $249.90, will they? The above sentence kind of makes it sound like the last five nights of the stay will all be adjusted to $249.90, but that obviously wouldn't make sense with regard to the night that was originally lower than that. However, I know that just because it doesn't make sense doesn't mean they wouldn't do it. I just want to know what would normally happen in this scenario.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by senoreit
Apologies if this has already been covered in this thread. I did try a search and came up empty. I have a question about a recent "Best Price Guarantee" claim which was approved.

First, just to add my data point, my claim was submitted at approximately 6:20 p.m. CST Saturday night and I received the e-mail at 1:45 a.m. Sunday informing me that my claim had been approved. So about a 7.5 hour response time.

Now with regard to the details of my claim. The IHG.com rates for the stay in question were as follows:

Night 1 - $396.90
Night 2 - $274.40
Night 3 - $249.90
Night 4 - $274.40
Night 5 - $216.58
Night 6 - $316.54
Total: $1701.72 Nightly Avg: $283.62

The rates on the "other site" for my stay were as follows:

Night 1 - $344.25
Night 2 - $238.00
Night 3 - $216.75
Night 4 - $238.00
Night 5 - $187.85
Night 6 - $274.55
Total: $1499.40 Nightly Avg: $249.90

As per the terms of the Best Price Guarantee, "we will provide you with the first night’s room price at the IHG hotel free and match the lower average nightly room price found for your entire stay for the rest of the nights of your stay."

So now on to my actual question. They will not INCREASE the rate for night 5 of the stay from $216.58 to $249.90, will they? The above sentence kind of makes it sound like the last five nights of the stay will all be adjusted to $249.90, but that obviously wouldn't make sense with regard to the night that was originally lower than that. However, I know that just because it doesn't make sense doesn't mean they wouldn't do it. I just want to know what would normally happen in this scenario.
1. your summing of IHG weeks total (and thus IHG average) is alas a bit low + wrong by 27
(and OTA average of 249.90 is lower than the 266 averaged rate of IHG nights 2-6, so is a further saving along side First Night Free (FNF) )

IHG site
1)396.90 - First Night Free
2)266.36 - Ave rate Nights 2-6 = 1331.82 -> total 1728.72 (av 6x 288.12)

OTA Site
1)344.25 - first Night Free
2)231.03 - Ave rate Nights 2-6 = 1155.15 -> total 1499.40 (av 6x 249.9)

2. You are right in a sense, the OTA rate average for nights 2-6 is just 233.03 and average if including the first (most expensive) free night is 249.90

3. So yes since you have the average for 6night stay skewed by the most expensive night being the free on, and even more so one later night being just HALF that expensive night rate, the 6night OTA average of 249.90 is i)higher than OTA average of nights 2-6 (249.90 is higher than 231.03) so bad
ii)Lower than IHG average of nights 2-6 (249.90 is lower than 266.36)

BPG Working(s)
o The averaged OTA rate of 240.90 for nights 2-6 is saving you
a)Free night of 396.60
b)5 nights average saving of 16.46/night , total of 82.30 saving nights 2-6
c)total saving of FirstNightFree and Nights 2-6 at OTA ave = 479.20 off IHG rate
d)The highest rate room is your free night so you did very well there
e)due to high free first nights very high room rate and one other night at just half that high rate, the OTA average approaches average of remaining 5nights. This occurence is not that common
f)It is swings+roundabouts ... IE If first night free was not the most expensive, your free night saving woud be less AND the the OTA 249.90 average whilst being the same may have been higher than any individual night.
The higher FreeNight + Lower 5nights total saving would be similar saving if all 6 nights had same rate

If it helps you feel better ...
I show below that BPG saving would actually be identical if all 6nights at IHG were priced the same rate per night

Eg Same Rate each night Saving
===============================
IHG = 6nights at 288.12
OTA = 6nights at 249.90
Saving = 288.12 + 5(288.12-249.90) = 288.12 + 191.10 = 479.22

eg Actual Saving in Your BPG claim
=================================
IHG = i)first Night 396.90 ii)IHG average 2-6 = 266.36
OTA = i)average of 6nights 249.90
Saving = 396.90 + 5(266.36 - 249.90) = 396.90 + 82.30 = 479.20

Last edited by scubaccr; Feb 13, 2017 at 4:35 am
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:20 pm

scubaccr thanks for your correction on my math for the IHG.com total and average and thanks for your other calculations. I greatly appreciate it, and it makes more sense to me now.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by senoreit
scubaccr thanks for your correction on my math for the IHG.com total and average and thanks for your other calculations. I greatly appreciate it, and it makes more sense to me now.
Like I said it is all swings and roundabouts. Whichever night of the 6x booked nights was given free by IHG, the total saving would always remain the same, as the bigger the saving on firstnightfree, the smaller the saving on remaining nn nights (and vice versa)

For instance if the cheapest night was the FirstNightfree, then the remaining nights total IHG cost + IHG average would be that much higher , resulting in a bigger difference between IHG/OTA averages and thus a bigger saving on remaining nights.
In fact YET AGAIN the saving would be identical

eg Actual Saving Cheapest Night of 6 nights Free
====================================
IHG Free (cheapest) Night = 216.58
IHG Average/Total other remaining 5 nights = 302.43 / 1512.14
OTA average Night = 249.90
Saving = 216.58 + 5(302.43-249.90) = 216.58 + 262.65 = 479.23

So as you can see (and as IHG accountants, and maths graduates already knew) which ever way you dice it, on a multinight BPG claim it doesn't really matter which night is free, as saving remains constant.

Just thought it was worth mentioning so people know playing with dates to make first night the priciest provides absolutely no benefit.

Last edited by scubaccr; Feb 14, 2017 at 1:10 am
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:54 am

Anyone have a good OTA for hotels in the Philippines you would be willing to PM me? Heading there next week.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by UAL123
I've gotten this many times before. It just depends how long they take to reply back. It could be a few hours, a day, a week, a month. You can always follow up after a couple weeks if you don't hear anything by then. They should respond before your stay though. When I get this response, sometimes they come back saying my claim is valid, but other times they say it's denied. It doesn't necessarily mean your claim has been denied.
Well, 1 week has passed since my claim and my stay is in 2 days time!

I wonder if they're just waiting for the competing OTA to raise their prices before denying it.

Starwood and Hilton have much better programmes that are fairly responded to
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Yunnnn
Well, 1 week has passed since my claim and my stay is in 2 days time!

I wonder if they're just waiting for the competing OTA to raise their prices before denying it.

Starwood and Hilton have much better programmes that are fairly responded to
Claim just went through, after 1 week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.