Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions

Older Thread (Prior to December 31, 2016) could be found here. The Wiki was taken from this thread.
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2017, 11:33 pm

Programs: HH Dia, IHG Dia Amb, MB Ti, WoH G, OWE
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
.... It seems IHG does not give this department much room to do anything outside of the terms and conditions.

dont cancel the one you have because you won't be getting another one lol...
As expected, reply just came thru and the suite claim been denied. Now, canceling my suite. Thx for the input.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: HH Dia, IHG Dia Amb, MB Ti, WoH G, OWE
Another claim just approved. IHG flex vs OTA non-ref. For sure this claim more than 50-miles than previous claim.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by boris10475
That is their standart procedure since introducing Member rates. You usually got to book IHG Member Rate thru IHG.com and compare it to OTA rates. They do not seem to care about refundable/non-refundable as long as OTA rate is lower that the lowest Member Rate on ihg.com.
I've just tried this.

The booked flex IHG member rate was higher than the OTA rate (non changeable).
However the OTA rate was lower than the lowest non changeable IHG member rate.

The claim was denied on the basis the reservation was not for the lowest available rate. They attached the relevant para.

Last edited by wobbly wings; Mar 26, 2017 at 9:49 am
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by wobbly wings
I've just tried this.

The booked flex IHG member rate was higher than the OTA rate (non changeable).
However the OTA rate was lower than the lowest non changeable IHG member rate.

The claim was denied on the basis the reservation was not for the lowest available rate. They attached the relevant para.
The rule with IHG has always been that you had to book the lowest available rate on IHG.com. Since most of us don't want to book non-ref rates, you need to find an IHG where there is no non-ref and the lowest rate is flex. I, personally, have yet to find such hotel.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by michael_v
The rule with IHG has always been that you had to book the lowest available rate on IHG.com. Since most of us don't want to book non-ref rates, you need to find an IHG where there is no non-ref and the lowest rate is flex. I, personally, have yet to find such hotel.
I was replying to a post suggesting they would not insist on this, or that at least some agents would not.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by wobbly wings
I was replying to a post suggesting they would not insist on this, or that at least some agents would not.
I do not think you get it. You have to book the lowest available rate on IHG.com in order to have any chance for BRG approval. IHG does not care if the lowest available rate on IHG site is flexible or unrefundable. If, for your particular property the lowest available rate is refundable, then you have 0 risk in making a booking and submitting the claim - you can always cancel your IHG booking. If the lowest available rate ( usually IHG member rate ) on IHG site is unrefundable rate, then you run a risk that your claim will be denied and you will be stuck with unrefundable booking. After you made the lowest rate booking on IHG site you will have to compare it to the lowest OTA rate again irrespective of whether OTA rate is refundable or unrefundable. You always compare the lowest rates on IHG.com to the lowest OTA rate no matter if you can cancel or not. FYI almost all of IHG hotels revert to refundable only rates as you get closer to check in dates. Some of them 7 days out, some 4 days out, some 3 days out. So, for your particular property probably 3 days out they will only have refundable rates available and if you find valid competing rate- there is still time to put your BRG claim in as most properties have 24 hour or even 6 pm check in day cancellation policies for refundable rates
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:42 am

IHG BRG's team is extremely infuriating to deal with and borderlines on a scam at the rate they're refusing to payout.

I extended the use of my old address because the BRG Team said they will send the check and I will get it within 10 - 14 business days. 16 business days later, no cheque according to my previous landlord.

Now they're insisting that they'll CONTINUE to resend the cheque to an address I have ZERO access to and refuse to direct deposit, provide an image of the cheque or anything so that I can get the claim that I rightfully can get.

This is beyond infuriating, do they expect someone to consistently stay at the same place and NEVER move? My folio's invoice for that stay even states my NEW address and not the old one.
Has anyone ever managed to get their representative to payout via another method?

Last edited by Yunnnn; Mar 28, 2017 at 8:29 am
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Yunnnn
IHG BRG's team is extremely infuriating to deal with and borderlines on a scam at the rate they're refusing to payout.

I extended the use of my old address because the BRG Team said they will send the check and I will get it within 10 - 14 business days. 16 business days later, no cheque according to my previous landlord.

Now they're insisting that they'll CONTINUE to resend the cheque to an address I have ZERO access to and refuse to direct deposit, provide an image of the cheque or anything so that I can get the claim that I rightfully can get.

This is beyond infuriating, do they expect someone to consistently stay at the same place and NEVER move? My folio's invoice for that stay even states my NEW address and not the old one.
Has anyone ever managed to get their representative to payout via another method?
I would just initiate the charge back through credit card I paid with. The property you stayed at is the one who was refusing to adjust your rate to 0 in the first place,so let them sort it out with BRG team who should pay for what. Just print out all your BRG approval emails and IHG's promise to deliver your check within 14 business days which they failed to do in case your credit card company will ask for documentation to support your dispute.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:14 pm

I would just initiate the charge back through credit card I paid with. The property you stayed at is the one who was refusing to adjust your rate to 0 in the first place,so let them sort it out with BRG team who should pay for what. Just print out all your BRG approval emails and IHG's promise to deliver your check within 14 business days which they failed to do in case your credit card company will ask for documentation to support your dispute.
I'm concerned that if I do that I may lose the IHG Points or existing bookings on my account as I think this will violate some really small terms and conditions clause.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Yunnnn
I'm concerned that if I do that I may lose the IHG Points or existing bookings on my account as I think this will violate some really small terms and conditions clause.
i probably would not do a charge back.. I feel like there would be some unknown consequences from that that you don't want to deal with !!

i HAVE to my utter shock been able to have them update an address for me recently, but they changed an address # and added an apartment number. They had to have it authorized by a different department.. I believe it was accounting. Ask them nicely for accounting to review your request, maybe you'll get lucky.

but I know from experience they work under very tight guidelines.. and if anything happens outside of that consider yourself really lucky.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:54 am

I do not think you get it. You have to book the lowest available rate on IHG.com in order to have any chance for BRG approval. IHG does not care if the lowest available rate on IHG site is flexible or unrefundable. If, for your particular property the lowest available rate is refundable, then you have 0 risk in making a booking and submitting the claim - you can always cancel your IHG booking. If the lowest available rate ( usually IHG member rate ) on IHG site is unrefundable rate, then you run a risk that your claim will be denied and you will be stuck with unrefundable booking. After you made the lowest rate booking on IHG site you will have to compare it to the lowest OTA rate again irrespective of whether OTA rate is refundable or unrefundable. You always compare the lowest rates on IHG.com to the lowest OTA rate no matter if you can cancel or not. FYI almost all of IHG hotels revert to refundable only rates as you get closer to check in dates. Some of them 7 days out, some 4 days out, some 3 days out. So, for your particular property probably 3 days out they will only have refundable rates available and if you find valid competing rate- there is still time to put your BRG claim in as most properties have 24 hour or even 6 pm check in day cancellation policies for refundable rates
Thanks for the explanation but honestly I do. I've been doing precisely this for several years. However a post above seemed to suggest the claim would be approved even if the reservation was not on the lowest available rate as long as the lowest available rate was more expensive than the lowest OTA. This is how it works on SPG and would have enabled to bypass the restriction you mention of waiting until only flex rates are being sold, normally just a few days before the stay. But thanks for taking the time to respond
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:18 am

Question about the "hotel's currency" condition. An OTA has an option for "Hotels' currency" and it gave prices in the local currency, while IHG quotes in US$. I assume I should set the OTA to US$ in this case?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
Question about the "hotel's currency" condition. An OTA has an option for "Hotels' currency" and it gave prices in the local currency, while IHG quotes in US$. I assume I should set the OTA to US$ in this case?
Correct - the currencies must be identical.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
No, it is not a case of selection form an OTA Website banner a pull down to display currency in the same currency as IHG.COM (or IHG app) books the hotel in (although helps to make a direct price-price comparison when IHG+OTA display in same currencies.

The BPG criteria is "that OTA charges your CC in same currency" as the IHG booking route charges.

Changing OTA from us$ pricing display to eg Euro for a Paris, France hotel, is no good if at the final payment, your CC is charged in usd still.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:55 pm

Anyone had any experience making a BRG claim against advance purchase recently? I've got what i believe to be a valid claim and the OTA price is lower than both the Advance Purchase Rate, and the YOUR RATE by IHG® Rewards Club Advance Purchase rate.

Thing is do i book the cheapest rate available ie the YOUR RATE, or the lowest publicly available rate which would be advanced purchase

Don't want to give IHG a technicality by going for the wrong one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.