Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by lfc84
I booked an AP rate (which of course cannot be cancelled). My rate has been ammended to House Comp. The cancellation policy now states it can be cancelled up to 4pm on day of arrival without penalty. In the past my stays have never changed to house comp they've remained on AP with the same cancellation terms - so can i cancel it without penalty or not now it shows house comp and more relaxed cancellation terms ?
Has your CC been charged the AP rate ?

You might follow a similar path to what I have done in the past, namely wait until the hotel charges your CC, then after a few days email the hotel mention the booking and the BPG, and enquire when they will be returning your payment as the room is now free. Assuming they oblige and refund the CC, then you might be in a position to cancel the reservation (might need to use the mobile version, as if modified you wont be able to do it on the full website), and the hotel is unlikely to recharge you IMO.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:06 pm

Just a question about The Palazzo/Venetian BRGs...
What website have you guys used to find successful claims?
If you don't want to share with everyone else, please PM me.. I tried scanning the forum but did not find anything

Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Kangaroo12
I'm in the same situation. Some of my claims were revoked. I think they are checking the account activities of people who were awarded too many free nights.

I was just exercising my rights to file for as many free nights as possible - within T&Cs. What's the point of removing the 30 day restriction if they will chase those people who claimed for a lot of free nights?

I have passed this over to a government agency in our country. Hope they will be able to help me.
T+C's cover abusing/circumventing the intent of the IHG BRG guarantee. A bit of a catchall as IHG can decide for themselves how to interpret both 'abuse of' and 'intent of' regarding their BRG. So I think IHG are covered.

I see IHG eventually limiting total number of BRG nights per person per year, and maybe only comping 50% of first nights cost to discourage BRG'ing an IC at $500/night when never spending over $100 night on a room at a HIX on a paid stay.

Some redflags could be....
o Number BRG nights exceeding nn nights in total
o Number BRG nights exceeding nn nights in nn days.
o Failed claims counted too (as shows intent of person to have a BRG night)
o BRG's only for single night bookings, no multinight stays.
o No IHG bookings other than for BRG's
o High ratio of BRG nights to paid nights
o low average paid night rate versus high average BRG night rate
(eg no paid nights over $100 but making BRG claims on $500/night IC's)
o Sharing mismatch with 'friends/family' to all book several rooms on IHG before all claiming, so IHG can't fix website and only have to BRG just once.
Especially if repeating the pattern with same people booking same BRG hotel nights at the same time on multiple occaisions.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by scubaccr
T+C's cover abusing/circumventing the intent of the IHG BRG guarantee. A bit of a catchall as IHG can decide for themselves how to interpret both 'abuse of' and 'intent of' regarding their BRG. So I think IHG are covered.

I see IHG eventually limiting total number of BRG nights per person per year, and maybe only comping 50% of first nights cost to discourage BRG'ing an IC at $500/night when never spending over $100 night on a room at a HIX on a paid stay.

Some redflags could be....
o Number BRG nights exceeding nn nights in total
o Number BRG nights exceeding nn nights in nn days.
o Failed claims counted too (as shows intent of person to have a BRG night)
o BRG's only for single night bookings, no multinight stays.
o No IHG bookings other than for BRG's
o High ratio of BRG nights to paid nights
o low average paid night rate versus high average BRG night rate
(eg no paid nights over $100 but making BRG claims on $500/night IC's)
o Sharing mismatch with 'friends/family' to all book several rooms on IHG before all claiming, so IHG can't fix website and only have to BRG just once.
Especially if repeating the pattern with same people booking same BRG hotel nights at the same time on multiple occaisions.
As long as you stick to the T&C then you are not abusing the BRG - what they meant by abusing is more like the same person use 2 ID to get 2 consecutive nights at a hotel etc.

I think it's wrong they flag BRG users - if they want to do this - change the T&C. No one force them to offer such a generous BRG. They can limit whatever they want - and if they don't do it then they should also follow the T&C themselves.

Revoking a claim is absolutely unprofessional IMO.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Is this a new denial tactic?

I submitted a brg Thursday lunch time. I got a reply 6 hours later asking for more time to check that the rates were comparable.

Since then - nothing.

I sent a polite chasing email yesterday and again no reply.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Geoggy

I submitted a brg Thursday lunch time. I got a reply 6 hours later asking for more time to check that the rates were comparable.

Since then - nothing.

I think the advice is to try and do the claim by phone if you can. doing it by email gives time for the rate to magically disappear.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Originally Posted by Geoggy

Since then - nothing.

Its most probably that the rate is lower but they are looking for another way to deny it coz the rate is not clear enough to them on the third party website.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: PC Plat, HH Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold
are you able to view details on mobie site?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:14 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Just received a refund into my bank from a SIN HI Orchard booking that was not refunded at time of original claim, had to claim after the stay was complete. The refund claim took 25 days and strangely I was refunded £27 more than I origanally paid which is ~ 11% extra, so not a currency fluctuation.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I think the advice is to try and do the claim by phone if you can. doing it by email gives time for the rate to magically disappear.

That's bad advice. Never do the claim by the phone . Many many times I have found a Brg successful over the phone only to get a sorry but upon further checking the rate has magically disappeared. And have nothing in writing to come back with . Better emails
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
I have always claimed by phone and it has been fine However, most of mine are hotels I would book anyway and not very high value (£70 - £130), not sure if that makes a difference.

I have been finidng an interesting pattern today while looking for a BRG. On the IHG web site the rooms for the two hotels (both HIX's) I have been looking at only give a double with sofa bed or twin with sofa bed option. They are cheaper on a comperaion site, but on there they offer only double or twin (no mention of a sofa). That is one way of making it impossible to make a claim!
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I have had all my BRG's approved by email and when I call the rate disappears on me
Old Feb 9, 2013, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by cober6711
Woohoo! Just got an approved BPG for the InterContinental Park Lane in London!

1-25-13 to 1-26-13, 1 person classic room with breakfast (flexible rate):

InterContinental.com: £ 711

Competing site £231

Amazing!
What was the site with the better rate? I have declined several times as the site did not bill in Pounds.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
That's bad advice. Never do the claim by the phone . Many many times I have found a Brg successful over the phone only to get a sorry but upon further checking the rate has magically disappeared. And have nothing in writing to come back with . Better emails
I am curious on the final outcome of the 2 nights that the BRGs were revoked and you had to pay out of the pocket (or did you?)
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:20 pm

Got an approval email for Holiday Inn Express Hawthorne (LAX). Reservation hasn't yet changed online, but it should hopefully work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.