Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Recent discussion (After January 01, 2016) could be found in this thread.

Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:25 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I can understand the viewpoint that one would not care about the profitability of the hotel. After all, it's a business, and it's certainly in fashion these days to consider every business as evil, without the possibility of a human element behind it.

But I really can't understand the viewpoint that pervasive claims for multiple rooms won't be what eventually causes the program to be canceled. Regardless if it is something IHG is imposing on the individual hotels, they do still have a bargaining position and can quite effectively lobby for the program to end. Probably all it would take is a handful of "flagship" ICs consistently losing a few thousand $ a night to cause a change. Losing the ~$30 cost of one night use of a standard room is one thing. But losing 6x$30+ for club rooms? Multiple times? Or having one luxury suite open and losing $2000 of revenue because you couldn't sell it? Maybe that discussion is already in progress.

The lack of self-interest on the part of claimants is kind of shocking. But then again, FT has taken a decidedly short-term viewpoint lately.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
FT has taken a decidedly short-term viewpoint lately.
There's a definite undercurrent of systemic apocalyptic collapse in today's society, fear of sweeping program devaluations, credit card cutbacks and conversion to very limited revenue based models appear more rational than fears of oil shocks, demonetization or global anarchy.

I'm still getting approval for a couple ~standard rooms per month with relatively little difficulty. I've successfully arranged separate simultaneous BRGs for myself and family members on a couple occasions, they have the same last name and I used my credit card for both, but they have a different home address. I won't be surprised if the Best Price Guarantee get pulled soon, but backing then pulling the program would be an embarrassing management failure for IHG.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:44 pm

IHG reimbursement to Europe

Hi, anyone has any experience (previous/recent) on the process of reimbursement to European bank account? I have a bank account in EURO currency, and my location is Czech Republic. Appreciate inputs, advice and things to be concerned about. Thanks a lot.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: LH M&M SEN, bmi DC Gold, CO Gold Elite, bahn.comfort nothing
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Hi, anyone has any experience (previous/recent) on the process of reimbursement to European bank account? I have a bank account in EURO currency, and my location is Czech Republic. Appreciate inputs, advice and things to be concerned about. Thanks a lot.
Works without problems. You just have to sent IBAN, BIC, Bank Address, etc. and they will transfer it.
They sometimes want to have a SORT Number, that does not exist officially for European Bank Accounts, but this number is actually included in the IBAN and works.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:44 pm

Thanks a lot. Are you in Czech Republic as well? It's because the currency being used here is mainly Czech Crown then secondly Euro, so I'm not sure whether there will be a problem with USD fund transfer.

Originally Posted by piiit
Works without problems. You just have to sent IBAN, BIC, Bank Address, etc. and they will transfer it.
They sometimes want to have a SORT Number, that does not exist officially for European Bank Accounts, but this number is actually included in the IBAN and works.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
How does this reduce their competitiveness? If anything - it strengthens it and the IHG brand by strengthening the brand website to ensure that is the best price out there.

As for reducing their revenues/profits - that's debatable as well. For the few claims that do get approved (IHG once provided numbers that stated well an insignificant amount of claims are submitted, and an even smaller amount approved; not enough to break the bank anywhere), these rooms would probably sit empty, therefore it's hardly a revenue killer. Furthermore, these lower rates are often on sites where the individual hotel sold a block of rooms at a discounted price; something they know they arent supposed to do but are willing to take the risk of a BRG in order to sell more rooms - so it's a win win for them.
If you are a hotelier, would you rather sell a block of hotel rooms upfront at a discount so to guarantee the revenue / profit for a big part of your inventory or you would rather take a wait and see attitude and let the real demand to pick up the slack?

Travel industry is such an industry that a lot of the demand is fairly uncertain and difficult to predict, based on many factors including the obvious, economic conditions, and the now also become more obvious, social turmoil in many parts of the world... So the ability to sell a block upfront to lock in an acceptable profit is a very attractive option. Most hotel chains allow branded hotels to do that and mitigate the "best price" via some programs that are reasonable to all parties involved.

Just look around, other hotel chains which once offered the free room guarantee, all pulled their programs before IHG went into the fray... because the free room guarantee is very prone to being gamed, and it is hard to have a T&Cs that covers every aspect a gamer would go after.

For the major hotel chains, SPG does not even have much to offer on the best rate guarantee other than a 2K SPG pts. HHonor's pretty much is non-existent. But both chains still prosper. Marriott takes a sensible approach - the customer gets something to compensate their efforts of hunting the lower prices, the hotels still get some revenues, the corporate is much easier to deal with when it comes to the approval and honoring the approval.

Whoever the honchos at the IHG marketing dept simply have no clue about how a real world is out there when they brought out their free room guarantee. Unbelievable corporate blunder that is still going on.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Thanks a lot. Are you in Czech Republic as well? It's because the currency being used here is mainly Czech Crown then secondly Euro, so I'm not sure whether there will be a problem with USD fund transfer.
You really need to talk to your bank to see what their policy is. You need to ask them if they accept $ in USD, whether they will charge you for receiving $ etc.

What I found out is that every bank is different and policies are different in various countries.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:33 pm

Now being asked for names and addresses of my second guest. That all seems very strange to me -- is the hotel really going to check that the second guest matches what I put down? Surely that can't be right?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA G
Is the Crowne Plaza in Osaka considered an "ANA hotel", and thus ineligible for BRG?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by mabramovich
Now being asked for names and addresses of my second guest. That all seems very strange to me -- is the hotel really going to check that the second guest matches what I put down? Surely that can't be right?
part of their rule to try and prevent same household getting another BRG. But I have read you can just say 'undecided' and that works.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Just look around, other hotel chains which once offered the free room guarantee, all pulled their programs before IHG went into the fray... because the free room guarantee is very prone to being gamed, and it is hard to have a T&Cs that covers every aspect a gamer would go after.
But even "gamers" are having a hard time finding these deals, therefore unless they are booking excessive amount's of rooms at the same hotel, this program is hard to abuse.

For the major hotel chains, SPG does not even have much to offer on the best rate guarantee other than a 2K SPG pts. HHonor's pretty much is non-existent. But both chains still prosper.
And in not so many words you've explained why IHG has to go this route. SPG and HHonor's prospers not due to their BRG or their rate structure, but due to the quality of those chains. IHG has a lot of toxic properties and a stale reputation they need to overcome. Upper middle class families arent going to rush to stay at a Holiday Inn, but they have no problem staying at a SPG or Hhonors hotel. Those opting for a Holiday Inn, however, are more price sensitive than their Hilton and Sheraton/Westin counterparts as they are most likely opting for price rather than quality as their reason for staying. And yes, I know the IHG chain makes up more than just Holiday Inn's, however the majority of their rooms in the chain are HI's.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
part of their rule to try and prevent same household getting another BRG. But I have read you can just say 'undecided' and that works.
Or you can say it's none of your business
I think they want to verify if the second guest has already score a free room somewhere else..
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nacho
Or you can say it's none of your business
I think they want to verify if the second guest has already score a free room somewhere else..
... or they're trying to prevent people from reserving and selling BRG nights. Imagine a cab driver claiming a dozen nights a month on spec, offering fares looking for hotels a "special deal" and switching the incidentals to the fare's credit card while checking in with them.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:38 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
So there is nobody concerned about the reasoning why my claims were denied ? Internal reservations comparisons!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
So there is nobody concerned about the reasoning why my claims were denied ? Internal reservations comparisons!
Definately concerned. Thats unethical. Contrary to t&c.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.