Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC: SAMUI BAAN TALING NGAM RESORT -Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Crofton138
Does anyone have any recent experience of staying at this hotel? The reviews on Tripadvisor seem to be generally very good.

I have three nights in June 2019 to plan for.
Have to say, we got treated like gods here last year.....stella upgrades to the beach front villa from a modest booking, huge flexibility on mini bars and with refresh, great club experience service, if a little repetitive and found most of the F&B pretty good, very good in fact ... and from memory not hugely expensive.

That said I agree there are some F&P elements of the hotel could do with some sprucing up and whilst not seeing the larger groups mentioned in recent posts ... there were indications of that. Staff and management were very supportive pre-stay and during stay. This was a year or so back.

In fairness other regulars commenting on this post are knowledgeable and I tend share their views in reviews and feedback generally, and indeed regularly ask their opinions. We stayed a week or so and enjoyed it. More than a week would be a stretch.
Eltham and Crofton138 like this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Have to say, we got treated like gods here last year.....stella upgrades to the beach front villa from a modest booking, huge flexibility on mini bars and with refresh, great club experience service, if a little repetitive and found most of the F&B pretty good, very good in fact ... and from memory not hugely expensive.

That said I agree there are some F&P elements of the hotel could do with some sprucing up and whilst not seeing the larger groups mentioned in recent posts ... there were indications of that. Staff and management were very supportive pre-stay and during stay. This was a year or so back.

In fairness other regulars commenting on this post are knowledgeable and I tend share their views in reviews and feedback generally, and indeed regularly ask their opinions. We stayed a week or so and enjoyed it. More than a week would be a stretch.
Agree, excellent stay for us too. The GM regularly came by to check everything was OK. The hotel was quiet when we were there. One wedding from memory but not intrusive.
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Crofton138
Does anyone have any recent experience of staying at this hotel? The reviews on Tripadvisor seem to be generally very good.

I have three nights in June 2019 to plan for.
Stayed back in July and found the service generally very good, the ever present Fongbeer who is director of guest relations is someone to seek out before or during your stay she was fab while we were there. The new club setup just off the reception area has the perfect million dollar view that the hotel is famous for. I would say that afternoon tea and evening snacks and drinks are pretty solid not a massive choice in the evening but ok to start only a light breakfast can be had in the lounge consisting of a couple of sets to choose from otherwise it's in the main restaurant which can be very busy at times although the food is good.

Food quality is pretty high through out the hotels outlets and they are very flexible with room service orders, the food is pricey by thai standards but not to dramatic the only negative that I found and it seemed pretty uniform through out is that cocktails really lacked any zing very weak in fact which is a shame for a beach resort where cocktails should be a real feature.

There are a couple of places to eat a little way down the beach but not much else unless you have transport and although the view from the top is amazing up close the beach is a bit meh in my opinion a little to grubby and a bit rocky in parts.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Eltham

Agree, excellent stay for us too. The GM regularly came by to check everything was OK. The hotel was quiet when we were there. One wedding from memory but not intrusive.
Yes the GM there is a pro, he is ex IC Singapore and a top guy ... very customer focused in my experience, listening and acting.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by shoven
Stayed back in July and found the service generally very good, the ever present Fongbeer who is director of guest relations is someone to seek out before or during your stay she was fab while we were there. The new club setup just off the reception area has the perfect million dollar view that the hotel is famous for. I would say that afternoon tea and evening snacks and drinks are pretty solid not a massive choice in the evening but ok to start only a light breakfast can be had in the lounge consisting of a couple of sets to choose from otherwise it's in the main restaurant which can be very busy at times although the food is good.

Food quality is pretty high through out the hotels outlets and they are very flexible with room service orders, the food is pricey by thai standards but not to dramatic the only negative that I found and it seemed pretty uniform through out is that cocktails really lacked any zing very weak in fact which is a shame for a beach resort where cocktails should be a real feature.

There are a couple of places to eat a little way down the beach but not much else unless you have transport and although the view from the top is amazing up close the beach is a bit meh in my opinion a little to grubby and a bit rocky in parts.
Yes 100% that .... every detail in fact. Beaches were disappointing but all Thailand if I'm really honest. The walk to eat places were pleasing good as you say ... we went with skepticism but were pleasantly surprised ... recommendations from fellow FT'er's ...
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:57 am

Yes the GM there is a pro, he is ex IC Singapore and a top guy ... very customer focused in my experience, listening and acting.
Does anyone have his contact information? Have a stay there next month and I would like to see what I can arrange to alleviate some of the concerns I am reading here.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by varaujo2000
Does anyone have his contact information? Have a stay there next month and I would like to see what I can arrange to alleviate some of the concerns I am reading here.
Speak to his PA ..... [email protected] .... also a very focused and CS minded person. She has day to day access to him and he's a listener. So is she.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Amb MR PLAT
Hi
Im thinking about staying here in June need to use the BOGO cert. Anyone have any current updates on this property? im Spire Ambassador.
thanks in advance
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Anyone stayed here recently? Lots of activity in this thread from last year, but nothing this year...
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:33 pm

I just had a stay here with the family (2 adults, 3 children). 2 nights on weekend certificate booked directly into the 2 bed room residence and 2 nights on points but paid for upgrade into 2 bed room residence as well so all nights were in the same room.

I think the hotel is really good, with excellent view of the sea and the sunset at night. The 2 bed room residence is HUGE and has a nice layout. The main lobby and the club lounge also looks amazing and the service level we experienced from the staff was also quite good.

Because the hotel and its rooms and lobby are placed on a hill/mountain guests are transported back and forth from the rooms to the lobby and beach in golf cars - somehow this works really good.

We spend most of the time at the beach bar and the beach pool, but there are several other pools around the complex and I very few guests used these,

My only complaint would be the price level on food, but club access makes a lot of sense here, so if you use it wisely you could actually skip buying lunch and dinner if you go for the afternoon tea (which is quite nice) and the evening canapes. Club access also give you free minibar (non alcoholic drinks).

Written on my phone so sorry for typing errors etc...
Eltham likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Absolutely not in my experience this is one IC along with Managua on my never stay again list and I paid for my beach villa. Things might have changed in 18 months but this is just a big package tour hotel more aligned to a HI or CP branding.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 3:10 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
InterContinental Koh Samui = Good Hotel Dragged Down by Weak IHG Loyalty Benefits

InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort

295 Moo 3, Taling Ngam Beach Koh Samui, TH 84140

InterContinental Koh Samui = Good Hotel Dragged Down by Weak IHG Loyalty Benefits (37 Photos)

InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort

I am generally not a fan of IHG hotels because of weak loyalty program benefits compared to other chains where I have status.  Nonetheless I booked InterContinental Koh Samui with award nights to try this property.  I had modest expectations but I came out positively surprised – the hotel itself and the facilities are impressive, it is only the loyalty program which is dragging it down and making it less competitive compared to other chains.  Based on my experience I would say people who only have status with IHG should not hesitate to book there and they will have a nice stay.  In times of high occupancy when upgrades will be unlikely, IC will also not be a bad choice compared to other properties, but in current covid times with low occupancy everywhere it is harder for IC to provide a good value proposition when others give very generous upgrades.

The location of the hotel is not a strength of the hotel in my opinion.  If going to Koh Samui then personally I prefer being near Chaweng but IC is on the other side of the island in a quiet spot - for a quiet vacation I would pick other islands in Thailand rather Koh Samui but I guess it can be a matter of choice.  That said, the location was not as bad as I thought.  I read about the beach being separated from the hotel by a road and while this is technically correct, it’s not a busy road like in Phuket where many hotels are separated from the beach with a road so busy that there is non-stop traffic so it’s hard to cross.  The road to cross at IC is very small in a remote neighborhood so it almost felt like a private pathway on the resort rather than a public road.  

1_IMG_4616.jpeg

Room

I booked the entry level room as an award stay and I understand that based on the Platinum Ambassador benefits, hotels are not required to upgrade non-cash stays.  Nonetheless they gave us a one-category upgrade to an ocean view classic room.  Compared to other hotels in Koh Samui at the moment, this is far from being the most generous but at least the views were great and the terrace outside was very private.  The room itself was fairly spacious and had high ceilings which I liked.  I previously read that IC KS was aging, but most likely they renovated recently because the hardwood floors were shiny and in great condition, similar to the rest of the furniture in the room which looked fairly new.  The bathroom had a huge shower with recessed lighting around the shower head and large windows overlooking the bedroom and the sea views.  When we arrived in the room it was very hot with the sun beaming in the room however we turned on the air conditioning full blast and we could have a cool night of sleep.  The resort is facing west so many rooms have great sunset views.  

IMG_4596.jpegIMG_4597.jpegIMG_4598.jpegIMG_4599.jpegIMG_4600.jpeg1_IMG_4601.jpegIMG_4602.jpegIMG_4603.jpegIMG_4604.jpegIMG_4605.jpegIMG_4607.jpegIMG_4608.jpeg1_IMG_4609.jpegIMG_4617.jpeg

Dining

Another weakness of the IHG loyalty program is the lack of breakfast benefit considering that almost every chain provides it for free to elites including Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Accor, and even SLH.  Only GHA and IHG do not have breakfast included among the chains where I stay.  To make matters worse, breakfast is not cheap by any means at IC Koh Samui.  They made me an offer at check-in for a special covid price which came out to 1300 THB for a couple.  Even with GHA which normally does not offer breakfast, at Anantara Lawana I can pay 3000 THB for a room which will include breakfast and at IC it’s a free night award and yet they still find a way to get 1300 THB from the stay so it’s not exactly a screaming deal.  Thankfully the breakfast buffet was excellent quality; not self-serve at the moment but lots of warm dishes available in addition to a small a la carte menu for eggs.  I also enjoyed the ice macchiato but strangely when we asked for coconut water they said there would be an upcharge, one more sign of the stinginess of IHG in general and the price of breakfast.  To further compound matters at check-out I was told that the 20 USD Ambassador credit does not apply to award stays, unlike what I was told at check-in.  I was not aware of such exclusion and after I pointed out to the conversation I had with another staff member they removed 20 USD from the bill without argument.

IMG_4618.jpeg1_IMG_4620.jpegIMG_4621.jpegIMG_4622.jpegIMG_4623.jpeg1_IMG_4625.jpegIMG_4626.jpeg

Back to breakfast, the restaurant venue was wonderful with seating both indoors and outdoors including great views.  

IMG_4619.jpegIMG_4624.jpeg

One aspect which can make IC stand apart from the local competition is the fact that they have a Club Lounge unlike any other hotel in Koh Samui that I can think of.  Unfortunately the lounge does not come cheap but at least it would be an option for those who like lounges and something that cannot be found elsewhere. Because the Club Lounge is immediately besides reception, interestingly our check-in was in the Club despite not having access.  The area looks great with excellent views like from so many other public areas of the resort.

IMG_4594.jpegIMG_4595.jpeg

Service

Service was excellent before, during and after our stay.  I had a few e-mail exchanges with staff before our arrival which included a pillow menu order which was a nice touch.  During the stay staff had great coordination and communication between each other via walkie-talkie and they could efficiently take care of our every needs.  Also after the stay they requested feedback to which I responded and they replied back rather than just ignore.  

Common Areas

The common areas of the hotel were very nice, overall the property was well maintained with nice greenery in the hill including stairs to go from the villa down to the pool and beach area.  The fitness gym was also down the resort right on the beach so the views from there were excellent and the equipment was new and modern with TV and internet connection on the screen including youtube for example. 

IMG_4610.jpegIMG_4612.jpeg

The hotel not only has a pool near the beach but also another one near the famous Air Bar.  That pool provides a different experience because the views are more about mountains than sea and beach.  The Air Bar has great seating for drinks at sunset with opening time at 5pm.  There were four more swimming pools on the resorts which I did not even go to, for an impressive total of six.

IMG_4611.jpeg1_IMG_4615.jpegIMG_4627.jpegIMG_4630.jpegIMG_4631.jpegIMG_4632.jpeg

The beach is a bit narrow and has seaweed right in front so for beach lovers I would say the beach is not a strength of this hotel, similar to Conrad which is also on the same side of the island.  We can see the seaweed issue when looking at the beach from up above.

IMG_4613.jpeg1_IMG_4614.jpeg

1_IMG_4628.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi worked very well during our stay with speeds of 35-40 Mbps.

Overall

Overall this hotel is solid and I can recommend it depending on elite status and circumstances.  If this hotel was part of another chain with more generous benefits I would be far more positive but given what it is at the moment it’s nevertheless not bad.  It would be most suitable for people who care about the view first and foremost because you only need to book the second category of rooms to guarantee a view, and elites might have that upgrade even if booking the first room type anyway.  If interested in a pool villa upgrade and free breakfast then there are probably better options but it depends on whether a particular guest has elite status with other chains or not.  For example in this price range (for cash) we can currently get Vana Belle (Luxury Collection) or Ritz Carlton with a private pool and most likely an upgrade with a view so not having a private pool makes IC a harder sell at this point in time for people who value a private pool. For points redemptions however, 35k pts per night at IC is not bad at all and much cheaper than the top Marriott properties.  

InterContinental Koh Samui = Good Hotel Dragged Down by Weak IHG Loyalty Benefits

Would you like to write a review on the InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort?

No, thank you.
Yes
NoY, Fims, puchong and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
3rd week of December stay.

After a stay at Vana Belle and the Conrad, I stayed at the IC, where I had been many years ago when it was branded Le Meridien (pre-Starwood).

The views are still spectacular, but no private pool like at the Vana Belle and the Conrad. The rooms need some renovation. I stayed in 2 rooms and was surprised by some sloppy painting jobs.
2 rooms because it's IHG and they would not upgrade me for the 2 first nights booked on points, while I got one category upgrade for the 2 other revenue nights. That being said, there was the famous IHF free bottle of water, included in the Ambassador membership.

As expected, (it's IHG) no complimentary breakfast (unlike at Vana Belle and the Conrad). I purchased it for the 3 first days (THB 765) and declined it for the 4th one, as I was checking out early.

On the evening prior to my check-out, after dinner, I went to the front desk to ask for a print-out of my bill. I noticed that they had forgotten to charge me for the 3rd breakfast and brought it to their attention.
They amended my bill and I told them that I would pay in the morning.
On the next morning, a 4th breakfast had been added to my bill although I did not go to the restaurant, as stated at the beginning of the stay and on the previous evening (with 4 associates being present and taking part in the conversation).
Well, my plan to check my bill on the previous day to have a smooth check-out did not work out as planned, as I was stuck there for a while, with the manager on duty (the Concierge) coming to the rescue.

I just realized another error / rip off: the THB 600 (that should have been over THB 660 to match the Ambassador F&B credit of USD 20) is not listed on my bill although I was told it would when I checked in, plus it was listed on my welcome letter.

Is there a management in this hotel?
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:50 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UASPG

After a stay at Vana Belle and the Conrad, I stayed at the IC, where I had been many years ago when it was branded Le Meridien (pre-Starwood).

The views are still spectacular, but no private pool like at the Vana Belle and the Conrad. The rooms need some renovation. I stayed in 2 rooms and was surprised by some sloppy painting jobs.
2 rooms because it's IHG and they would not upgrade me for the 2 first nights booked on points, while I got one category upgrade for the 2 other revenue nights. That being said, there was the famous IHF free bottle of water, included in the Ambassador membership.
I stayed at both IC ago (as well as Vana Belle and Cape Fahn) and just want to point out that we did spend a few nights at one of the villas near the beach and did have a private pool with that. Given the amount of pools at this resort though, it didn't seem worth it. When you go to the various colored pools (purple, orange, blue, yellow, etc.) they were nearly always empty.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
Originally Posted by UASPG

As expected, (it's IHG) no complimentary breakfast (unlike at Vana Belle and the Conrad). I purchased it for the 3 first days (THB 765) and declined it for the 4th one, as I was checking out early.

On the evening prior to my check-out, after dinner, I went to the front desk to ask for a print-out of my bill. I noticed that they had forgotten to charge me for the 3rd breakfast and brought it to their attention.
They amended my bill and I told them that I would pay in the morning.
On the next morning, a 4th breakfast had been added to my bill although I did not go to the restaurant, as stated at the beginning of the stay and on the previous evening (with 4 associates being present and taking part in the conversation).
Well, my plan to check my bill on the previous day to have a smooth check-out did not work out as planned, as I was stuck there for a while, with the manager on duty (the Concierge) coming to the rescue.

I just realized another error / rip off: the THB 600 (that should have been over THB 660 to match the Ambassador F&B credit of USD 20) is not listed on my bill although I was told it would when I checked in, plus it was listed on my welcome letter.

Is there a management in this hotel?
I was at IC last in Mar 2021 and echo that sunset views are great, but room would need renovation and service could have been better. Management could be better as well, service could be better. Certainly downgrade after Vana Belle, I had some issues and it took a while to negotiate a solution. Breakfast was average. But 765 sounds already discount, I think they attempted to charge initially us 1200 pp or so. I think new Kimpton, to be opened next month, is likely better IHG choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.