Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC: SAMUI BAAN TALING NGAM RESORT -Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Some reflections after my trip here in December.

Firstly, whilst the club beachfront pool villas all seem to be the same price there is a surprising variation between them given that there are only circa 12 of them.

There are effectively 3 different sizes and layouts and 3 different positions. The best design is I think where the entire villa is built sideways on to the beach. This gives the widest footprint and possibly the best internal layout. There are then 2 other types of villa arranged end on one being bigger (wider) than the other and with a better layout (more conventional bed/living room layout, without desk behind the bed. The 3 locations are directly behind the main pool and kids area (horrid), facing an open green that anyone can walk over (moderate) or fully walled and inaccessible to anyone but the villa occupant (best option). The more private location started from 509 and ran to beside the water sports centre and gym). The worst location was 501-4.

Despite my asking for the horizontally aligned villa in the most private location we received the smallest type of vertical alignment with the moderate location. We found the villa rather cramped in all honestly and with a significantly worse layout than the Conrad which we would use as our benchmark. It was impossible to keep things neat and tidy given the limited amount of living space. Just on the basis of the room, I would pick the Conrad or a Beachfront Ocean View Villa at the Meridien instead in a heartbeat (and we could have had either for a very similar cost).

In terms of RA treatment it was fair, I did get an upgrade to the same villa I had paid for over 6 nights on a reward night (our first night following arrival). I also got a cost reduction from the rate I had booked for the villa to that for a lower room category (saving circa 26K THB overall) as there was no further AMB upgrade possible. We had an invite to a wine tasting evening which was otherwise chargeable and the minibar with the option to take one complete set of snacks (no free refills) across the range, daily refill of contents (beer and soft drinks) and a single set of the 20cl spirits (6 in total, 2 whiskeys, white rum , vodka, gin and brandy). There was the freedom to choose which 6 you had (e.g .3 gin and 3 vodka for instance) but these arbitrary stay based restrictions stick in my throat a little (you get the same if staying for a week as staying for a day). On the whole I thought this was fairly reasonable compared to the miniatures in a typical IC minibar and I only used one of the small gins (we had taken other booze with us to drink by our pool). There was also a separate wine fridge (mini cellar) which I assumed was beyond the scope of free RA drinks. It would have been exceptional value if included but I wasn't going to risk 6k THB on buying a bottle to test it.

The club approach was OK, breakfast in the room from room service or main amber restaurant )which had a very poor buffet layout IMHO), afternoon tea in the lobby lounge and evening drinks and canapes at the air bar. We had afternoon tea once and found it somewhat meh and had the evening drinks on 3 nights. I thought the evening cocktails were quite weak (in alcohol), but the offering was pleasant enough and on a par with many other club lounges.

To be honest given the schlep to the main hotel and the fact that we had our own booze in the room, I felt that the evening drinks were of limited value but others might disagree. One nice thing that was allowed is when I realised that I could drive my hire car to the Flames restaurant close to our villa I moved it there from the main car park to simplify access and getting out and about beyond the hotel (which was to prove useful).

Room issues above aside (annoying as they were), my big gripe about the property is the incredibly patchy service. Frankly I would expect far better from any IC, it was incredibly difficult to make myself understood in English, far harder than it should be at a high end hotel. Forget anything beyond very simple requests, it will be a recipe for frustration, best to keep things very, very simple to avoid errors and issues. I ended up speaking in that way that I would ordinarily find patronising using simplistic English to try to avoid adding to the problems. My wife who is a dual Thai/UK national and who speaks fluent Thai and English also found it very, very hard to be understood and have requests effectively executed. The real issue is one of staff competence in addition to language skills.

I won't detail all of the service issues we had but there were quite a number. Ultimately in this situation you either waste your leisure time fighting or give up and simplify what you ask for to fit the competence of the surroundings. We did the latter and cancelled some on property dining arrangements as a result going off to the Conrad and elsewhere for various dinners.

The GM Michael did take an interest and offered us spa treatments on the house as a way of making things up to us. As I told him, I was not looking for freebies I just wanted to get the sort of good service I would expect from a typical IC, however since that proved elusive we did ultimately take him up on the offer of spa treatments and had very enjoyable 3 hour couples treatment that I would otherwise have been happy to pay the circa 15k THB menu price.

We also had on our penultimate night a rather nice private villa BBQ where staff put in a huge effort to make for a special evening.

All in all I think this could be a great property as it has the right basic building blocks but I want to relax on holiday and expect even moderately complex asks to be met and this is simply not possible at the IC B.T.N. We very definitely had a better stay when we last visited the property in Meridien guise some 10 years prior despite the extensive refit that has been done under the IC Flag.

I really regret not picking the Conrad for this trip. I actually would have moved after Xmas eve if the Conrad had, had any availability.

Samui has some great higher end properties from the W and Vana Belle to the Conrad, Banyan Tree, 4S etc. Since the IC seems to be playing in the same pricing space I would expect service levels and room quality to be much closer than it currently is.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Eurobonus Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Just returned from Koh Samui having spent 7 nights at the Intercontinental and then 4 nights at Conrad. Personal perspective is very important here I think as we were IC Platinum Ambassadors but HH Diamond members. In short, I might have been expecting less at the IC and more at the Conrad.
Prior to arriving I corresponded with the management team regarding our rather complicated booking. We were using 2 x 2 accelerate nights from the Autumn 2015 promotion, a weekend free night voucher and then 1 points nights. Essentially, we started off in a family room and were then booked into the classic room for the rest of the week on 3 other bookings ( the lowest category).
My priority with the family in tow was to have the same room throughout and they agreed to give us the family room for the whole week. For me that would have sufficed as an upgrade but they proceeded to apologise for not having given us an upgrade on the family room and suggested 15% off spa treatments and F&B. I countered with a request for free breakfast instead which at 1000 baht per person would soon add up. Again to my surprise they agreed.
Upon arrival, in contrast to my later experience at Conrad, the welcome couldn't have been warmer, friendly or more personal. The assistant manager came out and chatted to us, apologised again about the upgrade and gave us his business card if we had any queries. I was a big fan of the large lobby area as it gives the resort a real focal point with some atmosphere.
The room it self to be honest wasn't in the greatest location. Coming down the stairs from the lobby you turn left and go under the Air Bar and towards the end of the building. I remember someone commenting on here that those are the worst rooms so I was expecting the worst. However, the room itself was very spacious and well furnished, decorated itself. The problem with that location is that it is near the housekeeping service area and near the machinery room for the pool pump. So you had some noise when the room was quiet and also when you came out if you went up the back way via the infinity pool you would often see inside the service area and also an outdoor unused deck where they were keeping outdoor furniture.
The great part about the whole stay for us though was we were constantly being asked about our stay by staff and received an email every day asking how our stay was going. I thought this was an excellent and hassle free way of touching base.. I mentioned in one email that were not entirely satisfied with the room location so we were shown an alternative room. A panoramic oceanview room which was in a much more ideal location. By then however, my daughter had fallen in love with the bunk-beds so we decided to stay put and instead I requested a meal at the restaurant by way of compensation. Again this request was entertained. In complete contrast, at Conrad on the other hand, nobody once asked or showed any interest in how our stay was progressing aside from when we made a complaint on the first day.
In short, I was very pleased with the IC Samui in terms of the resort and customer service. Unlike the previous poster, I really felt they were going the extra mile to ensure our stay went well. Conrad on the other hand was a different matter, More on that later in the other thread!

Last edited by waribai; Jan 8, 2017 at 12:23 am
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Just completed a superb 6-night stay on a mixture of Amb Weekend and paid (third night free offer) in a two bedroom Ocean View Villa. I am RA. Hard to find any fault, even though there was heavy rain for the first three days. Constant attention from our butler and other staff, always looking for feedback. Steve, the butler, suggested a couple of local restaurants which were both hits.

I-Talay is around 400 metres along the beach, and is a very laid back restaurant and bar. The food was excellent and the menu has enough choice for all. We stuck to the Thai food and went back a second time because we loved it so much. Also went to Island View, which provides a pick-up service. Again very good, but more of a formal restaurant. Great location right on the beach.

We didn't venture further as flooding had closed many roads. It didn't matter though, we were looking for a "do nothing" holiday.

Food at the hotel restaurants is quite OK, nothing special, and is of course highly priced vs local options. We thought they could do with one more bar or restaurant.

Overall a great stay.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: IC Plat Ambassador, GHA Platinum, HH Gold, A Club Plat, FB, Millemiglia, LH MM
I booked this IC for 4 nights on points at the beginning of February ((Chineese new year, so high prices). I'll probably add a paid night (before the awards one) and book a Tropical Club suite. I'm Spire Ambassador. What are my chances to remain all period in the same room (without club access, of course). Do I have. Any chance to get somehow upgraded nont only for the first night? I'm renting a car, so I don't take the free r/t private transfer from the apt which is included in club rate. What can I get / ask instead of it? Maybe some vouchers?
Thanks for suggestions
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Staying here in April with wife on combination of IHG credit card free nights and points. After searching thread, appears breakfast is 1,000 baht per person. Someone was offered upgrade to club at 4,250 baht per night, when they were staying on points. I believe club includes round trip transportation from airport. Other than breakfast, how is club lounge for afternoon for snacks, beverages? Any other benefits it offers?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canesfan
Staying here in April with wife on combination of IHG credit card free nights and points. After searching thread, appears breakfast is 1,000 baht per person. Someone was offered upgrade to club at 4,250 baht per night, when they were staying on points. I believe club includes round trip transportation from airport. Other than breakfast, how is club lounge for afternoon for snacks, beverages? Any other benefits it offers?
There isn't a club lounge it is a benefits package, breakfast, afternoon tea, evening drinks, round trip transfers (I think you need a car though in a location like this).
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: hilton, hyatt, ihg, accor, best western, marriott, starwood
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
There isn't a club lounge it is a benefits package, breakfast, afternoon tea, evening drinks, round trip transfers (I think you need a car though in a location like this).
I think you will have a butler if you book club. No butler if not club. That is my understanding although I might be wrong. I was there dec 2013. I don't know if there is any change. My butler is excellent. You might have a better chance of feeling a really special stay if you have a butler.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greenfrog2015
I think you will have a butler if you book club. No butler if not club. That is my understanding although I might be wrong. I was there dec 2013. I don't know if there is any change. My butler is excellent. You might have a better chance of feeling a really special stay if you have a butler.
Well that didn't work out well for us despite someone here praising the same guy.

I wasn't sure if the butler was a rom specific thing or club thing either way I didn't perceive it adding much value.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the clarification. I assume mini-bar is not included in Club package?

My wife and I have stayed at Conrad Samui twice without a car, and just toured the island each time for a day with scooters. We mostly plan on just hanging out at resort, and considering there are 2 beach restaurants within walking distance that gives us great alternative options for food. I know there's a car rental place nearby, is there also a scooter rental shop close by? We typically like to scooter around the island for a day...
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the clarification. I assume mini-bar is not included in Club package?

My wife and I have stayed at Conrad Samui twice without a car, and just toured the island each time for a day with scooters. We mostly plan on just hanging out at resort, and considering there are 2 beach restaurants within walking distance that gives us great alternative options for food. I know there's a car rental place nearby, is there also a scooter rental shop close by? We typically like to scooter around the island for a day...
At both the Conrad and IC we just rented a car to and from the airport but I think both can sort you a rental.

I think soft drinks from the minibar are included as part of the club product, obviously as RA our deal was a bit different.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Breakfast can be either in restaurant or room. Afternoon tea and evening cocktails are served in the lobby lounge. Food consists of a small selection of canapés brought to your table. They will bring you a drinks list, which was fine for our needs. Club also includes 2x pressing per day.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrOscarh
Breakfast can be either in restaurant or room. Afternoon tea and evening cocktails are served in the lobby lounge. Food consists of a small selection of canapés brought to your table. They will bring you a drinks list, which was fine for our needs. Club also includes 2x pressing per day.
Evening cocktails are served at the air bar or lobby lounge.

If you order breakfast in room you should ensure your order is simple as you will invariably find it messed up if even moderately complex.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Evening cocktails are served at the air bar or lobby lounge.

If you order breakfast in room you should ensure your order is simple as you will invariably find it messed up if even moderately complex.
Correct re cocktails but the Air Bar was out of action for most of our stay due to the constant rain. We had no issues with room service, breakfast or dinner. BTW the butler, Steve, was very helpful, but of course we could have coped just as well without. All the staff were anxious to be of assistance.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrOscarh
Correct re cocktails but the Air Bar was out of action for most of our stay due to the constant rain. We had no issues with room service, breakfast or dinner. BTW the butler, Steve, was very helpful, but of course we could have coped just as well without. All the staff were anxious to be of assistance.
I had Steve too and would agree he tried to be helpful albeit execution was not always so successful.

Everyone was keen and eager to be of assistance but many simply lacked the ability. This didn't seem entirely to be a language thing either because we had the same issues whether the instructions were in fluent English or fluent Thai.

The only way to get reliable service was to massively simplify interactions with staff.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:40 am
Suspended

I had Steve too and would agree he tried to be helpful albeit execution was not always so successful.

Everyone was keen and eager to be of assistance but many simply lacked the ability. This didn't seem entirely to be a language thing either because we had the same issues whether the instructions were in fluent English or fluent Thai.

The only way to get reliable service was to massively simplify interactions with staff.
My wife is Thai, and we were very happy with the service capability. As usual in Thailand it pays to spend time engaging with people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.