Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:16 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I stayed at the CP Birmingham around 3 weeks ago (1st time) and was told that they dont do upgrades even for Platinum members. I was disapointed by this especially since hotel seemed half empty. SO I stayed in Standard room.

I stayed there again this weekend for 2 nights (Fri and Sat). This time I booked a Club room on 2for 1 rate. (getting htis rate means hotel is not haevily occupied)

I noticed that the club floors was empty. I did visit the club lounge at around 7:15pm and noticed that there were around 10-12 people having their complimentray cocktail hour.

I think we should complain as Priority Club terms and conditions state an upgrade for Platinum customers when available, this hotel is just not giving upgrades out even when hotel is nr empty, absolutely stupid!

Platinums are your bread and butter regular customers.Did you speak with the manager? You shouldnt really have to ask for an upgrade.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 6:16 am

I did fill in a comments card but it was one of those machine-readable ones and there was nowhere to put freeform comments.

I understand the hotel not being able to upgrade if the better rooms are full but hearing 'no upgrades for Platinum members' threw me a little as

a) It's the first time I've heard it
b) The upgrade is the only in-hotel benefit that Platinum members can benefit from.

I think I'll follow your suggestion of dropping them an email. Thanks

Jester
Old Jan 26, 2009, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Originally Posted by MrJester
I did fill in a comments card but it was one of those machine-readable ones and there was nowhere to put freeform comments.

I understand the hotel not being able to upgrade if the better rooms are full but hearing 'no upgrades for Platinum members' threw me a little as

b) The upgrade is the only in-hotel benefit that Platinum members can benefit from.

I think I'll follow your suggestion of dropping them an email. Thanks

Jester
Hi Jester

In contrast take a look at the CP Liverpool

Upgrade to Executive level
Free in room movie and popcorn (had a choice)
Club lounge access
Free internet

All booked under a standard room.

Regards
J
Old Jan 26, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Originally Posted by Radioman
Hi Jester

Club lounge access
Free internet

Regards
J
Now that is what I call good Platinum benefits!

excellent, is this the CP on Albert Docks?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by navatwal
Now that is what I call good Platinum benefits!

excellent, is this the CP on Albert Docks?
Hi navatwal

Its the one along from the HIx at the Albert Dock.

Car parking is charged at £7.50 a day, but thats pretty cheap.

Regards
J
Old Jan 26, 2009, 7:31 am

Hi Jester

Club lounge access
Free internet

Regards
J
I agree I've had similar upgrades in the CP Liverpool (although the Lounge in my opinion is a little disappointing).

I've also had good (Club level) upgrades at CP Liverpool (John Lennon) Airport when I have booked the least expensive (standard) room.

Last edited by SamsoniteBoy; Jan 26, 2009 at 8:30 am
Old Jan 26, 2009, 8:15 am

Programs: Amex Plat; IHG Spire Elite; AZ Freccia Alata, SPG Gold; ClubCarlson Gold; Accor Plat; BA Bronze.
Originally Posted by MrJester

CP Nottingham (where I am tonight) has a similar policy - no upgrade (to Executve level) for Plats - so don't book a superior room and expect an upgrade. You *might* get an upgrade from Standard to Superior. They do offer some drinks vouchers or free snacks, or something. Their policy is definitely not to upgrade Plats (I called and asked).
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by yossimills
CP Nottingham (where I am tonight) has a similar policy - no upgrade (to Executve level) for Plats - so don't book a superior room and expect an upgrade. You *might* get an upgrade from Standard to Superior. They do offer some drinks vouchers or free snacks, or something. Their policy is definitely not to upgrade Plats (I called and asked).
So if I book a Superior room, I don't get an upgrade right? How does this tally with the terms and conditions of the Platinum membership which say that I should be offered an upgrade of some kind?

"Platinum level members will be offered a complimentary upgrade, as determined by the hotel, which might include rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views. The upgrade will be offered at time of check-in, based on availability, and will only apply to the member's personal guest room. The hotel is not required to upgrade members to suites or specialty rooms. Upgrade benefit will not apply to rooms booked as a Reward Night reservation. "

Jester
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by SamsoniteBoy
I agree I've had similar upgrades in the CP Liverpool (although the Lounge in my opinion is a little disappointing).

I've also had good (Club level) upgrades at CP Liverpool (John Lennon) Airport when I have booked the least expensive (standard) room.

Hi SamsoniteBoy,

Yes this hotel does give some good upgrades and access to the lounge. Was surprised at the bacon rolls in the morning in the club lounge. Room gift was nice as well.

The only let down is the charge for internet and no wireless access unless you to to the lobby and pay for it. Apart from that a great hotel....^
Old Jan 26, 2009, 10:49 am

If I booked a superior room then I would expect an upgrade to an Exec if that was the next level up.

Its about time we started putting forward as many complaints about these hotels and letting PC know that we are not happy.

Regards
J
Old Jan 26, 2009, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If I booked a superior room then I would expect an upgrade to an Exec if that was the next level up.
Unless the hotel classes rooms with club access as being speciality rooms in which case they would be technically within the terms

Dave
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Unless the hotel classes rooms with club access as being speciality rooms in which case they would be technically within the terms

Dave
Ah but if these hotels are trying to get out of doing things and playing fair then we should still say something about it. Would be interesting to see who the bad ones are.

Its a play of words IMHO.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 12:24 pm

Hi SamsoniteBoy,

Yes this hotel does give some good upgrades and access to the lounge. Was surprised at the bacon rolls in the morning in the club lounge. Room gift was nice as well.

The only let down is the charge for internet and no wireless access unless you to to the lobby and pay for it. Apart from that a great hotel....^
Hi,

I'm sure in the CP Liverpool (City Centre) the (wired) internet was complimentary in the Club Rooms - I just plugged the cable into the laptop - there was definitely no charge.

I do think that Liverpool is particularly well served with ICG options - certainly the HI Express is one of my favorites.

& of course the Staybridge especially when it's on the PointBreaks list.

A
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by SamsoniteBoy
Hi,

I'm sure in the CP Liverpool (City Centre) the (wired) internet was complimentary in the Club Rooms - I just plugged the cable into the laptop - there was definitely no charge.

I do think that Liverpool is particularly well served with ICG options - certainly the HI Express is one of my favorites.

& of course the Staybridge especially when it's on the PointBreaks list.

A
Yep I have to agree Albert Dock HIX is really nice, love the boiled eggs and toast in the morning, BUT, the parking at the HIX has got worse and you have to get up before 8am to get out and feed the meter or get a ticket.

Yes I do remember getting a free voucher for wireless Internet at the HIX.

Would not stay at the HI as thats a dump. The Staybridge is nice but if works paying I dont like the fact that I only earn half the points...

Regards
J
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:23 pm

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
Evening bud, by the looks of it you need to update your status as it still says PC Gold. Don't undersell your achievements

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.