Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pointbreaks Discussion Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darkhunter
Honestly I think that CP is a fantastic deal for Venice.
Thanks for the reassurance.
I'm not sure I can agree that it's better than staying in Venice for a first timer, but it does sound very easy and convenient (as long as the trains don't go on strike!).
I've booked my parents there.
Shouldn't be too much of a jolt downgrading to a room here after their last stay at the Grand Hotel, Stockholm
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by LapLap
I'm not sure I can agree that it's better than staying in Venice for a first timer, but it does sound very easy and convenient (as long as the trains don't go on strike!).
Shouldn't be too much of a jolt downgrading to a room here after their last stay at the Grand Hotel, Stockholm
The point about being good for a first timer is that you don't have to lug your bags into and around the city. The CP has a free airport shuttle and you can then make you way into the city without baggage.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Not quite a good deal as the last time I booked this hotel, at .01 for two nights, but still reasonable.

After the initial "confusion" with the above rate, they did right in the end. Everyone who stayed there seemed to think the hotel was decent. Just remember if you need transportation to call the hotel up.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
The point about being good for a first timer is that you don't have to lug your bags into and around the city. The CP has a free airport shuttle and you can then make you way into the city without baggage.

The Hotel offers shuttle service to and from Venice Marco Polo airport for reservations made through this website. Please provide flight details in advance. Price 5,00 per person per way.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/1/en/hotel/vceqa
Old Aug 3, 2010, 1:49 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
Yeah that's basically what I was getting at.

I mean if you are on like a really romantic trip or something and being in venice with like a view of the canal or whatever is the most important thing then no its not the hotel to pick. But just remember that kind of venice experience is very expensive. I just know that when I was in venice that city is very very much like a maze. You can look at a map and think point A to point B is very close but it's not. You just do so much crazy weaving, it's hard to explain. Or maybe I'm just stupid and did it wrong, lol.
I just know I saw so many lost looking people lugging luggage around, it was tough. They looked MISERABLE. I was glad I stayed at the CP
For a 1st timer it's just confusing until you know the layout of the city
and where everything is. Where as the CP is simple to find. If you
are in a car there are signs (or GPS) and its fairly easy to find or again by train it's right there, you can't miss it. Or as someone else said they will pick you up at the airport too.

I'll say what it really comes down to is money. If you can afford the expensive water taxi's and stuff and that's not a problem then yeah stay in Venice, it's a fantastic city. Or if you are confident that you know where your hotel is by walking. But if you are on a tight budget then this CP is a nice quiet, clean, out of the way (but still perfect location) hotel.

1 tip for those going. You buy your train tickets at the hotel. But don't
forget to validate them at the yellow machine before boarding the train.
Though I have to say no one ever asked for/checked our tickets but you probably should anyways. You just stick the ticket in and it prints
like the time and date on it then its good for, I think, 90min.
You probably do this for all train tickets in Italy but I dunno for sure as this was the only train I did as I had a rental car.

Of course yes of the trains go on strike I guess you are in trouble
I dunno how often that happens or how likely that is.

Overall I think this is a great PB chance. Nice hotel to use as a base for visiting other parts of Italy as well. The Lake Garda area and Verona is not super far. Like 1 hr drive. Nice day trip. Italy's motorways are great too and you can speed like a maniac
Old Aug 3, 2010, 1:55 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
The Hotel offers shuttle service to and from Venice Marco Polo airport for reservations made through this website. Please provide flight details in advance. Price 5,00 per person per way.

Wow, well that's a recent change. It WAS free.
I guess that does take this hotel down a small notch.
Still 5 euro aint bad.

I dunno, I liked the hotel and I would stay here again
unless of course money was just no object then yes
I would get like a fancy place on the canal in venice.
But unfortunately I'm rather poor, lol, so that's probably not going to happen.

I dunno for a meager 5K points it's hard to complain. Nice hotel.

1 other thing to keep in mind if you are flying in on one of the budget airlines like ryanair they do not (or may not) fly into Marco Polo airport.
So transportation will probably be more expensive
(no matter what hotel you pick)
Old Aug 3, 2010, 2:50 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Hi,

How do I gift a room wherein I will not be going with them.. Normally we can put our companion as the additional person, but what if I want to gift it to a friend and his wife ?? The booking done from the site always shows my name as the guest name and its only possible to put a name on the additional guests place ??
Whts the safe option to gift PB nights or for that matter any reward night ??

appreicate some advise.

Thanks
Abhi
Old Aug 3, 2010, 3:14 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter

I've just left Venice. For those staying at this hotel, I recommend coming into the city by train. It's much cheaper to buy a vaporetto ticket outside the train station that you can use for all stops than it is to pay for the Aliaguna from the airport into the city, then buy vaporetto tickets. No, I didn't stay at this hotel, but I did arrive in Venice by train and left from the airport, so have very recent experience as to the expense of arriving in the city by each method.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
How do I gift a room wherein I will not be going with them.. Normally we can put our companion as the additional person, but what if I want to gift it to a friend and his wife ?? The booking done from the site always shows my name as the guest name and its only possible to put a name on the additional guests place ??
Whts the safe option to gift PB nights or for that matter any reward night ??
Just view your reservation in your account and add the lead person as the extra guest. Add that this person will be checking in the space for notes. I myself usually send an email to the hotel before their arrival and mention again that the lead person will be checking in to my reservation. Ive never known it to be an issue and there are plenty of threads in this forum with similar advice from others who have also never experienced a problem. The only hiccup may be that others trying to call your guests by phone may have to ask for your name when requesting to be put through.

-

Not sure about some of the assumptions made on this thread. On my first stay in Venice I booked a room overlooking the canal in the delightful Cannaregio district. The double room was around 60Euros a night (hardly a fortune).
Its with subsequent stays that Ive chosen hotels outside of the central Venice area.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1 other thing to keep in mind if you are flying in on one of the budget airlines like ryanair they do not (or may not) fly into Marco Polo airport.
So transportation will probably be more expensive
(no matter what hotel you pick)
I always look at this before making a reservation.

Easyjet does go to Marco Polo.

Ryanair to Treviso (Marco Polo is 12km away, Treviso 17kms)
You can get the bus from Treviso airport to Treviso train station for 2Euros.
From Treviso station you can either get a bus to the Hotel (stops outside)
or get a bus from the airport to Mestre station and then get a train to the Hotel.
It will take an extra 30-40 minutes but the cost will be similar to the 5Euro shuttle from Marco Polo Airport to the Hotel.

A bit more hassle - yes.
More expensive - no.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:18 am

HI Budapest - has anyone stayed there? some info I found:
it's in the outskirt next to a Tesco supermarket
there's a shuttle which cost 5/person (each way? or return)
In a TA review someone wrote that there's a train station 5 minutes away
and it will cost 1 to get to the centre?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:20 am

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
I'm going to Vancouver in September and was looking at the various options. Luckily the Holiday Inn Downtown Vancouver is on PB and I booked 6 nights, saving myself close to $1000! I know the hotel isn't exactly downtown or that great, but it's not a big deal if I can save that much money.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:27 am

Programs: VA Gold
Yes quite mediocre for Oceania and also quite interesting it only goes to October 31...Oh well, will keep my points for another list
Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Must...Fly!
Yes quite mediocre for Oceania and also quite interesting it only goes to October 31...Oh well, will keep my points for another list
Quite interesting? PB's are often for 3 months or less.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Wow, well that's a recent change. It WAS free.
I guess that does take this hotel down a small notch.
Still 5 euro aint bad.
Yep, news to me too. I've never paid for the shuttle. But still that is a lot cheaper than a taxi would be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.