Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Presidente Mexico City Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Looks incredible! Nicolas75, have you ever stayed in this suite?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
I just stayed there a couple nights and was over-charged again + given the fake two category upgrade. This IC hotel is simply not worth $300 a night.

The Holiday Inn properties in Mexico City are a fabulous value IMO
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by #1son
I just stayed there a couple nights and was over-charged again + given the fake two category upgrade. This IC hotel is simply not worth $300 a night.

The Holiday Inn properties in Mexico City are a fabulous value IMO
Yikes! What did you book and what were you given? I booked 4 nights in November for ~$190 a night.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:42 pm

I booked a basic room and got a basic room with view of the Park rather than view of Polanco, I was under-whelmed and it was +/- 275 night with VAT
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by #1son
I booked a basic room and got a basic room with view of the Park rather than view of Polanco, I was under-whelmed and it was +/- 275 night with VAT
Brutal. Is that even a 2-cat upgrade?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Does anyone know if this property sustained earthquake damage? Thanks
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:24 am

Looking to burn an ambassador cert by February...can anyone speak to whether (1) it's worth it to spring for the lounge access, and (2) is this location in any way reasonable for tourism purposes?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by trouble747
Looking to burn an ambassador cert by February...can anyone speak to whether (1) it's worth it to spring for the lounge access, and (2) is this location in any way reasonable for tourism purposes?
from a location point of view, Polanco is in my opinion the area, where you want to be. I don't know the current set up of the lounge, so can't speak that much about it. The club rooms are in my opinion not different from the other rooms, apart from the floor. View could be both to Polanco or Chaputelpec parc. When I last time stayed there I think in 2014 the lounge had good breakfast offer and also in the evening they had a decent warm spread
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:05 am

the Club Lounge is much better these days but as above poster noted, the rooms are nice but nothing special, do not expect any major upgrade if you have status

I like the Polanco area
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 1/4 - 1/6

Location: The hotel is located in the very pleasant Polanco neighborhood next to the Auditorio Natcional in an area with a number of other hotels (the Marriott and Hyatt Regency). You can walk to the Auditorio Station on the Metro 7 Line. Nearby are a number of restaurants from touristy chain places to local places. It's a safe and quiet neighborhood and about a 20 minute drive to the Centro Historico and 20 minutes to MEX with no traffic. MEX is an $8 Uber ride.

Hotel: The hotel is a generic looking high rise. There's a large lobby with a travel office (Aeromexico office and currency exchange), gift shop and two restaurants. The Club Lounge is on the 34th floor and is really pleasant (details below). It's very easy to get a cab or Uber here and the staff were all extremely helpful.

Check In: As an Ambassador I was able to check in at a private table. I was given a little shot glass souvenir, coupon for a free bottle of wine with dinner in the restaurant, a list of benefits which included fruit and water, a free movie and a 4 PM check out. When I learned I wouldn't get breakfast I upgraded to club access for $30 which is well, well worth it.

Room: I don't like judging hotels by a two queen room as they're usually the worst but this was not overly impressive. It was pretty small and the beds were hard and had only two bed pillows on them. On the plus side the bathroom while small had an amazing shower. There were also outlets next to the bed and noise was not an issue. The rooms also have blackout curtains.

Lounge: The best part of the experience. The 34 floor lounge is stunningly beautiful with great views, lots of comfortable seating and excellent service. I went for breakfast twice and was blown away by the spreads. Omelet bar, eggs, bacon, waffles, sausage, Mexican dishes, cold cuts, smoked salmon, breads, cereal and really good coffee.

The hotel was 30,000 points a night though is going up to 35,000. Even at that rate it's a good hotel and I'd gladly be back.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:58 am

the Club Lounge is no doubt much improved
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:45 pm

Any recent updates on this property? (Platinum Ambassador.)
Old Aug 1, 2021, 10:07 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
InterContinental Mexico City = Nice Renovated Hotel But Weak Elite Benefits

Presidente InterContinental Mexico City

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Campos Eliseos 218 Mexico City, MX 11560

InterContinental Mexico City = Nice Renovated Hotel But Weak Elite Benefits (20 Photos)

I stayed at InterContinental Mexico City Presidente as part of a mattress run to compare with similar hotels from Marriott, Accor, and Hyatt chains.  While I found the IC hotel to be quite nice, unfortunately as is usually the case the IHG Spire Ambassador loyalty benefits originally offered were not competitive at this property and it required some haggling at check-in to end up with competitive value for the money compared to other hotels.

Check In

I received free breakfast at all six other hotels in Mexico City during my trip, a suite upgrade at all but one, and lounge access at those which have one and if not closed because of covid.  In contrast, the IHG loyalty benefits did not impress: at check-in I was informed that I was upgraded to a view room (no suite), and that as per the rules of the program, as Spire Ambassador I would not get free breakfast or lounge access.  The only little extra over the standard rules was that they would allow the 20 USD credit to be used for in-room dining rather than limit it to the restaurant only. 

I pointed out to them that while they are following the rules of the program for suites, breakfast, and lounge, that was entirely their decision to do the bare minimum – nobody prevents them from offering more.  At first they tried to upsell lounge access for 30 USD per person per day and/or a suite upgrade for 80 USD per night.  I declined by saying I am getting all those perks for free at other hotel chains due to top tier status.  The receptionist then called the guest service relations manager and after the conversation their offer improved to 30 USD per night for suite+lounge+breakfast.  I accepted it because it was good value, but it did require some negotiation which is normally not necessary at other hotel chains.

Room

The suite was quite nice with great views of the park in front of the hotel, it had the convenient extra half bathroom near the entrance, and overall spacious everywhere (living, bedroom, main bathroom).  There was a stand-alone shower in addition to a bathtub, everything was in good condition as per the recent renovations, and they had L’Occitane bathroom amenities.  I wish there was no carpet in the room but overall that might be the only blemish I could find.  There were even some tech features such as the TV in the bathroom mirror and the electric controls for blinds.  

IMG_7214.jpegIMG_7215.jpegIMG_7216.jpegIMG_7217.jpegIMG_7218.jpegIMG_7219.jpegIMG_7220.jpegIMG_7222.jpegIMG_7221.jpegIMG_7212.jpegIMG_7213.jpeg

Dining

The lounge looked nice and felt quite posh.  All food was served by staff - the buffet was discontinued.  The breakfast a la carte menu was decent, although perhaps just a small notch below the offerings of other comparable hotels in the city but not a big difference.  For happy hour 6-9pm they served some snacks (set menu), three food trays in total including the last one which was desserts.  From 6-8pm it was possible to have alcoholic drinks.  Overall since this lounge is pay-for-access it could have been superior to other hotels where elites have free access, but other than the décor which was attractive, in some ways the offerings were a tad inferior for example at Hyatt Regency the hors d’oeuvres were served 4 hours and drinks 3 hours plus guests have a choice from the a la carte menu rather than the set menu at IC.  

IMG_7223.jpegIMG_7224.jpegIMG_7225.jpeg1_IMG_7226.jpegIMG_7227.jpegIMG_7228.jpegIMG_7229.jpegIMG_7242.jpegIMG_7243.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi had subpar speeds of around 5 Mbps.

Overall

Overall my stay was good but it required a conversation at check-in to end up with a similar value proposition than what I had at similar hotels in this price range.  For example at Sofitel and Hyatt Regency I had a suite upgrade, lounge access, and breakfast without having to ask for anything.  At IC for a solo traveler 30 USD per day for the lounge is ok, however for a couple then at 60 USD per day the alternative hotels which provide lounge access start looking more attractive than IC especially if room rates are in the neighborhood of 200 USD per night.

InterContinental Mexico City = Nice Renovated Hotel But Weak Elite Benefits

Would you like to write a review on the Presidente InterContinental Mexico City?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:44 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
when comparing IHG Ambassador with other top tier status at Hyatt or Accor you are comparing apples with pears and therefore the comparison is not quite fair. As Royal Ambassador which is the top tier at IC hotels you would get the lounge including breakfast as guaranteed perk. Suite would depend on the room level you've booked.

Apart from that a nice review and from my last stay 2.5 years ago I can confirm your observations
Old Aug 2, 2021, 6:07 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by boekel
when comparing IHG Ambassador with other top tier status at Hyatt or Accor you are comparing apples with pears and therefore the comparison is not quite fair. As Royal Ambassador which is the top tier at IC hotels you would get the lounge including breakfast as guaranteed perk. Suite would depend on the room level you've booked.
Point taken, it's not completely fair. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say the following:

As Accor Platinum (one step below Diamond) you get lounge+breakfast, as IHG Spire Amb you don't. I cannot say whether I would have received a suite upgrade at Sofitel if I had been Platinum rather than Diamond, but in the past in some hotels of the world I did get suites although less frequently than as Diamond.

As Marriott Platinum (two steps below Marriott Amb), same thing: lounge+breakfast, although in this case the lounge was closed at JWM so it was breakfast only. Suites can be possible as Marriott Plat or Titanium as well.

Hyatt Explorist (below Globalist), could get lounge access if using one of the handful of club upgrades issued every year, not sure about suite upgrades but during my stay it would not have happened because standard suites were full and they gave me a premium suite. No way an Explorist would get a premium suite.

So bottom line I agree with you that the fair(er) comparison would be to compare IHG to levels below the top for other chains. The conclusion would not be completely different under that angle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.