Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Presidente Mexico City Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2005, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Any recent stay at InterContinental PRESIDENTE IC MEXICO CITY

Plan to stay there for 6 nights. Safety is main concern at MEX city. Any comments are welcome.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by sxchan
Plan to stay there for 6 nights. Safety is main concern at MEX city. Any comments are welcome.
While I've never stayed at this property, I did walk through the lobby on a trip to Mexico City a few years ago, it seemed like a nice property. I'll be in the capital next weekend, when I intend to go to the Intercontinental for a meal at The Palm as well as a little sightseeing. The hotel is in the Polanco district, which is the upscale neighborhood in Mexico City, the W hotel is also in the neighborhood. The State Department issued a warning, I understand that it went out today, warning American citizens about travel to the capital, due to the abductions. My guess is that since this somewhat of a tourist area, the Hard Rock Cafe is just down the street, it could potentially be a target, since more tourists will be in the area. I intend to only wander in the area during the day as a precaution.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Several stays there, and no overt security problems. As everywhere, be streetwise - use taxis with four doors, not those green VW beetles with 2 doors. In fact, I walked around and felt fine.

If you have IC status, you'll use the lounge high up - probably busy at conference time.

In the hotel entrance are names of VIPs who have stayed there, including William Jefferson Clinton and Fidel Castro - wouldn't it have been great if they had been there at the same time !

The bar on the ground floor can be noisy when they have live music.

On one occasion, I was woken up by a swaying feeling - the room appeared to be moving from side to side. I blamed drink and went back to sleep. I found out later that we had had an earthquake. The alarms had sounded and many walked down to the ground floor (not me). The point about this is that the hotel was designed to avoid earthquake damage. Earthquakes are rare of course.

Then there was the car crash on the way to the airport ... (but that's another story.)
Old Jan 29, 2005, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
I was there in August 2004. It is very convenient to a metro stop and, as mentioned above, is in a very upscale neighborhood. The hotel is well-guarded and the area feels quite safe. There is a strong police presence on local streets in Polanco. This is probably one of the better areas of Mexico City in which to stay.

The Club lounge is also very nice, although it can get full at peak times.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Intercontinental Ambassador
A few questions ...

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the following:

1. I'm seeing that the fine print of the rates for this hotel indicate that there is an extra $15 USD "service fee" per night not included in the rate. (This is separate from the 17% tax.) Is that standard for this hotel? Mexico City generally? Seems odd to me.

2. I'm a Royal Ambassador trying to figure out what level room to reserve in conjunction with my Free Weekend night certificate. There is a "Club IC" rate which states "CONTINENTAL BUFFET BREAKFAST AT THE CLUB LOUNGE". There are also "Luxury Weekend" rates that state that breakfast for two persons are included. Am I correctly assuming that the Luxury Weekend rates are for a cooked breakfast in a restaurant located at the hotel as opposed to access to the Club continental buffet?

3. If I were to choose a "Luxury Weekend" rate (including, presumably, a restaurant breakfast), and if I already have a free mini bar as a Royal Ambassador, is there any particular advantage to booking a more expensive rate that specifically includes Club access? (I do realize that I may get upgraded to the Club level as a RA benefit, but I'm just trying to figure out whether I should do anything to ensure this happens if the RA status isn't particularly recognized.)

4. And speaking of that .. any RA experiences at this hotel that anyone would care to share?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Unfortunately....

I have no answers but I wanted to commend you on the thoroughness and clarity of your questions. Yet another highlight of the inconsistencies of the AMB program.

Originally Posted by ORDBoyInLAX
I'd appreciate any thoughts on the following:

1. I'm seeing that the fine print of the rates for this hotel indicate that there is an extra $15 USD "service fee" per night not included in the rate. (This is separate from the 17% tax.) Is that standard for this hotel? Mexico City generally? Seems odd to me.

2. I'm a Royal Ambassador trying to figure out what level room to reserve in conjunction with my Free Weekend night certificate. There is a "Club IC" rate which states "CONTINENTAL BUFFET BREAKFAST AT THE CLUB LOUNGE". There are also "Luxury Weekend" rates that state that breakfast for two persons are included. Am I correctly assuming that the Luxury Weekend rates are for a cooked breakfast in a restaurant located at the hotel as opposed to access to the Club continental buffet?

3. If I were to choose a "Luxury Weekend" rate (including, presumably, a restaurant breakfast), and if I already have a free mini bar as a Royal Ambassador, is there any particular advantage to booking a more expensive rate that specifically includes Club access? (I do realize that I may get upgraded to the Club level as a RA benefit, but I'm just trying to figure out whether I should do anything to ensure this happens if the RA status isn't particularly recognized.)

4. And speaking of that .. any RA experiences at this hotel that anyone would care to share?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Any more recent experiences at this IC and at the new CP that's on offer for 5K a night?
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:19 am

Programs: NWA, AC, HH, PC
I stayed at the presidente hotel 1 month ago for 3 nights. For a ***** hotel, I found the hotel a bit crusty, not crisp at all. At that time, I was only platinum and I got upgraded to the 17 floor, facing the park, basic room. The breakfast is expensive for what it is, 25$ + tip. There is a starbuck in the front of the hotel if you don't eat much for breakfast. The area is probably the best of Mexico, polanco. There is very good Argentinian restaurant 5 minutes from the hotel. Turn right when you exit the hotel and left a the first major street. It's at the corner. Internet is 20$ US. The place is always packed. If I go back, I would probably stay at the W hotel if it's the same price, 2 blocks of the IC.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
For some notes on my recent stay at this property, check the RA Experiences thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...04#post7589304

Generally the property, once the finest in the city, has been showing its age and similar afflictions that occur to top properties from the 70s/80s when they get eclipsed by newer top end properties. Though I found nothing tatty or frayed, there were some problems. Views are spectacular from the higher floors to either the park (south) or north.

Otherwise, the location was good for visiting the museums and galleries in the Bosque de Chapultepec/Polanco district and the district quite safe. It is a 2-minute walk to the Auditorio subway station from which you go two stations north or south to lines that will get you to most tourist areas in the historic parts of the city. I felt quite safe during the daytime hours using the subway or walking the streets, but as others note, use common sense and don't appear to be a tourist with camera dangling and jewellry arrayed for all to see.

I think this is a good spot, as I myself used it, to spend the weekend and to make use of an Ambassador 2nd Wkend Nt cert. The Bosque area is best seen on a weekend with families and locals filling the areas delights of parkland and museums. For a weekday stay, I would probably pick one of the two HIs located in the Historic or Rosa District which seem to offer more of the charms of the old city and are conveniently located to most of these sites.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
IC Presidente Mexico City Master Thread [merged]

I get the impression that Presidente Hotels are not as enthused regarding Royal Ambassador status as perhaps most other InterContinentals.

Sometimes I've needed to remind them about upgrades, and never have I received anything remarkable.

I have been to 4 of the hotels a total of about about 7 times and base my view on that experience.

I keep going because I like being on the beach in Mexico.

What have you seen?
Old Jun 21, 2007, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This could be true. I stayed at the IC Mexico City in April, booked a Club King room and was given a Club King room. When I went back to the lounge attendant to point out I had not received an upgrade as a RA, she claimed this was an upgrade from an Executive room, i.e. being moved up to the Club level. However, I showed her my reservation which clearly showed I'd booked what I was given: a Club King room. She found me a suite, but it took some pressure on my part.

I believe the IC Miami West is owned by the Presidente group, but there I was automatically upgraded from a Standard King to a Club King...didn't press them for a suite, as Club with lounge access was good enough for the two night stay.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Shareholder
This could be true. I stayed at the IC Mexico City in April, booked a Club King room and was given a Club King room. When I went back to the lounge attendant to point out I had not received an upgrade as a RA, she claimed this was an upgrade from an Executive room, i.e. being moved up to the Club level. However, I showed her my reservation which clearly showed I'd booked what I was given: a Club King room. She found me a suite, but it took some pressure on my part.

I believe the IC Miami West is owned by the Presidente group, but there I was automatically upgraded from a Standard King to a Club King...didn't press them for a suite, as Club with lounge access was good enough for the two night stay.
I could be wrong but I think less attention may be given to these things in Mexico when it comes to training. They are certainly good at pressuring guests to look at their timeshare program.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 7:38 pm

Just checked in in Mexico City in the IC Presidente.
No upgrade at first. Then i asked if the room is upgraded. Answer. No. Hotel full. No upgrade.
Then I complained, check in lady typed a few things in the computer and found an upgrade.
When i got to the room it was - a standard room, but on the club floor.
Complained again. Spoke to the assistant Manager. Pretty unfriendly. He told me upgrade is only when the hotel has better rooms available, but since it is full....
They finally gave me Club access '- the Key at first did not work in the club lounge.

I will post more in the RA experiences post later.

Seems pretty rude and unfriendly hotel.

They also charge 700 Pesos (60 $) for the 20 min ride from the airport to the hotel in a beat up minivan. Seems a bit pricy......
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What type of room did you originally book? If just a normal one, then your upgrade should be a two level, excluding Club unless you booked Club...basically some form of suite but not with Club access unless your original room was a Club room.

Did you book the car through the hotel for an airport pick-up? You'd do just as well, or better, using the normal airport taxi system. Or...

The hotel is across from a subway station and it's just one transfer to the airport line...a few pesos and you've got all the rest to spend in the restaurants behind the IC.

Last edited by Shareholder; Feb 13, 2008 at 10:03 pm
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
What type of room did you originally book? If just a normal one, then your upgrade should be a two level, excluding Club unless you booked Club...basically some form of suite but not with Club access unless your original room was a Club room.
That was my reason for starting the thread--I have had more difficulty at the Presidente IC's that others with upgrades. I've been to 4 of them.

I got an apology email from Cozumel 3 years ago with a promise of special treatment when I return but it was a one-time visit. I really like the place but there are other stops I need to make along life's journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.