Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gave up my apartment to live in hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2007, 6:58 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Shared Apartment

I have a collegue who I from time to time meet on the road. He has giving up his appartment and lives mostly out of hotels. He's from a large "University town" and rents a room out of an appartment with three other guys, where he has his basic stuff. As I understand it, he's there about once a month.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbellero
I went to the US embassy in Bahrain about a year ago and was told that they no longer add pages to US passports. Did I get bad information?
Yes you got bad information. I had the latest set of additional pages added in November 2006 without a problem- if you are outside the US it is free and usually takes around 3 hours. Very good service...
Old Feb 18, 2007, 7:23 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Yes you got bad information. I had the latest set of additional pages added in November 2006 without a problem- if you are outside the US it is free and usually takes around 3 hours. Very good service...
Thanks. I will keeep this in mind and perhaps look for something on the State Department's web page before I go to the consulate the next time.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Sometimes it only takes 20 minutes, like at the Shanghai embassy. Amsterdam is another good place to get it done. Maybe Berlin is weird or you talked to the wrong person.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:28 am

Programs: TG Gold, NW Gold and various other bits of plastic...
Originally Posted by Emma65
Going slightly off topic here but I really don't understand people who move to a new country and bring all their possessions in a 20 or 40 foot container paying through the nose.
Some of us are fortunate enough to have the company pay for that 20ft or 40ft container

I agree with the sentiment that moving around is a great time to declutter (and we do see it as that) but I also like the fact that wherever home is, there will always be things from our previous homes around the world. It's also nice now that we're starting a family - I want to be able to have some continuity for the kids to help them settle into wherever we end up every few years.

Originally Posted by holtju2
I just need to find out to which continent, country, and city to settle down.
Why do you need to settle down anywhere? I couldn't live out of a hotel as BostonJim is planning but over the last few years, I've recognised that our current lifestyle of moving to a new country every 4 years or so is very good -new cultures, new experiences, etc. As our children reach school age, the style and frequency of moves may change but I no longer think that we'll settle down somewhere at the end of it all.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:18 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I've spent less than 40 days in the place called home in the last year but home is where the heart is. Besides, I've been missing the dog and the dog is getting to a time of his life when he will need me. So, I hope much of the next year will be at home with shorter site assignments.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:04 pm
Marriott 10+ Badge

If you take a Middle East Assignment you will normally get the equivalent of 40 kg extra luggage per person. This can turn out to be a lot of cash which can in turn be used to ship a container.

I personally am at a watershed moment - wondering if I should get rid of all my possessions which have been in a home that I haven't visited in 6 months. It gives you a sense of freedom to not have anything. However, it also is nice to have something that is yours in a place to call home.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Exclamation Tax trap

I once read about somebody who took 365 days of on-the-road travelling expenses off his taxes (travelling saleman who was never at home). The IRS said that since he was on the road for 365 days that year, he didn't get to deduct "away from home" expenses because he had no home to be away from.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:08 pm
Marriott 10+ Badge

That is pretty cheeky of them. I suppose he should have gone home one day of the year, incurring additional expense and causing the IRS to "lose out" on more tax revenue. Tax authorities everywhere are ridiculous.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 4:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by cbellero
That is pretty cheeky of them. I suppose he should have gone home one day of the year, incurring additional expense and causing the IRS to "lose out" on more tax revenue. Tax authorities everywhere are ridiculous.
Only sort of cheeky. You already get a standard deduction, which is intended to defray the basic costs of housing. If you are living on the road, you don't have the double expense of maintaining a separate home. So why should one be able to deduct those expenses again? Wouldn't this be (more than) doubling your deduction? That doesn't seem overly fair to me either.

All that aside, I do think it important to think carefully about the tax implications of living on the road, as you may find you open yourself to multiple jurisdictions claiming that you owe them tax - I know Massachusetts won't let you out of paying very easily if you can't show a new home somewhere else. A little planning ahead will save some headaches down the road.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 4:32 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

I agree with you that careful planning is necessary. Most likely a tax adviser is required.

Btw, I was under the assumption that the 365-day traveller was actually maintaining a home. If that is the case, then I think he should still be able to deduct everything.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Priority club Platinum Royal Ambassador, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriot Spg, Trip reward's, Air tran
Thank's again everyone.
I never thought about the possibility of losing my tax deduction and will talk with my accountant about it.
Jim
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2
Writing this from Grand Hyatt in Tokyo. Tomorrow moving to Park Hyatt Tokyo and will spend the next week in both Grand and Park Hyatt's in Melbourne.

Originally Posted by Max Power
I lived in the Hilton Zurich for a few years - it was very pleasant, someone changed my linens, cleaned up my room, and made my bed every day... I had a hard time going back to 'normal' living after that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the biggest complaints of a constant traveler is living out of a suitcase, right? While I understand the need to give up permanent residence and relocate to a hotel, doesn't it become a bigger inconvenience when you keep hopping hotels? You'd still have to keep packing, moving, unpacking, etc. I guess I always pictured Max Power's approach to "living" in a hotel rather than holtju2's.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:56 pm
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by yashan
You'd still have to keep packing, moving, unpacking, etc. I guess I always pictured Max Power's approach to "living" in a hotel rather than holtju2's.
I think, you will get up routine.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by yashan
Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the biggest complaints of a constant traveler is living out of a suitcase, right? While I understand the need to give up permanent residence and relocate to a hotel, doesn't it become a bigger inconvenience when you keep hopping hotels? You'd still have to keep packing, moving, unpacking, etc. I guess I always pictured Max Power's approach to "living" in a hotel rather than holtju2's.
Bulk of my stays are in few hotels in LA area. Right now I am on a long vacation and traveling in four different continents.

I had plenty of Hyatt FFN's available and wanted to try different Hyatt hotels in places where I hadn't been before. Now I know that I will not return to Grand Hyatt Melbourne where I would rather stay at the Park Hyatt. I also learned that the Park Hyatt Tokyo is not really that great. .

Here in Sydney I spent first two nights at the InterContinental, then one night at the Park Hyatt, following three nights at the InterContinental, and one final night at the Park Hyatt.

Writing this from the IC's Club Lounge. I told club attendant to get somebody to refresh my suites minibar.

You do learn how to live out of a suitecase, although I haven't seen my since I checked it in at the LAX 28th of January. AC found it at YYZ on 15th of last month but has not been able to deliver it to me so far.

Last edited by holtju2; Mar 2, 2007 at 1:58 am Reason: a typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.