FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Gave up my apartment to live in hotel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/659806-gave-up-my-apartment-live-hotel.html)

BostonJim Feb 13, 2007 7:03 am

Gave up my apartment to live in hotel

During 2006 I spent 305 night's in hotel's so i have decided to give up my apartment and just live in hotel's year round. It will be cheaper and easier for me in the long run. (Guess you could say I'm homeless now)

Has anyone else ever done this? If so, Do you have any tips or suggestion's
Jim

Club_IC Feb 13, 2007 8:58 am

OVer the last year, I have travelled on average two weeks each month, but have not yet given up hope of enjoyed a little more settled existance. Therefore, while I usually have a very comfortable stay in hotels I stay in while travelling, I have given up on the home as yet;-)

Macspreader Feb 13, 2007 9:58 am

Originally Posted by BostonJim (Post 7214089)
During 2006 I spent 305 night's in hotel's so i have decided to give up my apartment and just live in hotel's year round. It will be cheaper and easier for me in the long run. (Guess you could say I'm homeless now)

Jim

Get yourself a copy of this book for a start :D

So good luck to you, but I couldn't do it - I need somewhere to kick back, dig the garden and chill - couldn't manage that in a hotel.

shiwala Feb 13, 2007 10:59 am

Interesting concept. What about all your personal stuff...put it in storage?

jimc_usa Feb 13, 2007 11:06 am

Jim

A great idea - but I would want a more homely hotel room - like a Residence rather than a Holiday Inn

BostonJim Feb 13, 2007 3:59 pm

I stay at Hilton's, Doubletree, Holiday inn's, and intercontinental's

GoingAway Feb 13, 2007 4:10 pm

Look at the resources for RV'ers. There are businesses that will collect mail for you and forward it to any post office (you call them a week or two in advance and then request the mail when you arrive at that city). There are also phone numbers with just voice mail (although cell phones work fine these days for that). Not sure how old you are, I think I could've done that a few years back but these days I like to be home on occasion.

duchy Feb 13, 2007 4:21 pm

Are there credit score implications in been "of no fixed abode" ?

GoingAway Feb 13, 2007 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by duchy (Post 7217783)
Are there credit score implications in been "of no fixed abode" ?

I'd imagine the office address would be used

Savage25 Feb 13, 2007 5:15 pm

Jim

I did that a few years ago...gave up my apartment in SIN and checked into a hotel in BKK for 629 days.

BostonJim Feb 13, 2007 5:22 pm

Everything's in storage, I'll use the office address.
I'll keep everyone updated
Jim

Camino1 Feb 13, 2007 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by BostonJim (Post 7217634)
I stay at Hilton's, Doubletree, Holiday inn's, and intercontinental's

Macspreader has a good book idea. Can prevent complications down the road.

smartassmurf Feb 13, 2007 6:58 pm

Funny

I have mentioned this, usually joking around with people, but it would save a ton of money.

Certainly an interesting idea!

SAS

azepine00 Feb 13, 2007 7:58 pm

Search betterbidding website, zbenye has been living in mostly pricelined hotels for several years. There are others as well.

CaveatEmpty Feb 13, 2007 9:04 pm

Not that farfetched, really.
There's a version of the story that espouses living on a cruise ship instead of a retirement home .. :cool:

/.