Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RA referral value

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2005, 5:39 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by EdV
When pressed on what's the "normal" manner she said, "Attaining PLT status (I assume via points or nights) and 3 nights in IC properties (not the same one either!). :-: When I asked about the $100 renewal she said that yes it will maintain RA AND PLT status, but still NOT entitle me to a referral cert! Make sense to anybody else?
No ! (Though it would show that PC are aware of and have closed the potential loophole of referring yourself that was in discussion earlier). But glad to hear at least that the 3 stays in 3 different ICs (so long as you have earned Plat.) rule is officially still the qualification criteria, cos this has been doubted by a couple of reports on the Forum.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum Royal Ambassador,GC Elite,HH Gold,DC Gold,*A Gold
It is true that the referred person is not meant to get a referral voucher, but some people have been lucky enough to get them, luck of the draw I guess.

Dino
Old Jun 13, 2005, 7:47 pm

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
Two people I referred both got the referral vouchers in their package. So I guess a lot of people may get lucky.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by EdV
Isn't it true that the newly referred RA would get all of the above, EXCEPT the additional referral form? I have just received an RA referral from a friend here on FT (thanks you know who) but haven't yet activated it. I called the line for a quick question and the agent told me that I would get the entire package as listed above and many times before, but WITHOUT THE REFERRAL CERT!. She said that I would need to qualify in the "normal" manner to get that.

When pressed on what's the "normal" manner she said, "Attaining PLT status (I assume via points or nights) and 3 nights in IC properties (not the same one either!). :-: When I asked about the $100 renewal she said that yes it will maintain RA AND PLT status, but still NOT entitle me to a referral cert! Make sense to anybody else?

I wonder if some of us who did get the Referral Certificate with our initiation RA packages got them because we would have otherwise qualified under the new 3 stays at 3 different properties within a 12-month period? I know I had at least that number of stays before I was gifted my referral cert, and had my 60K points for requalifying for Plat the following year?

When I sent that Referral Cert on to another FTer who I felt deserved the upgrade in status, he spoke with the Customer Service people before sending it in and they told him not to bother, he had enough stays and they upgraded him there and then. He kindly returned my cert, which I than passed along to another FTer who had helped me on another matter.

I have just renewed, so expect my kit in a week or two. Shall advise if it contains the RA Referral Cert as well as the 5K one [which I think I shall hold off cashing in until the start of 2006, just to fast-track myself should promos next year not be so generous, or the required points are raised...
Old Jun 14, 2005, 1:40 pm

I 'sold' the referral certificate I had to a fellow FT'er...the price...a decent bottle of Port...the thought of actually selling it on ebay or wherever never entered my head...after all the help I have had on this forum I felt for once I was giving something back. ^

I do agree with those who say one ought to check who it goes to...by that I mean have they been contributing to FT...either on a frequent basis if a more recent member...or for a long time if not too many posts.

That is of course subjective...but are all decisions not so?
Old Jun 14, 2005, 1:50 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
wonder if some of us who did get the Referral Certificate with our initiation RA packages got them because we would have otherwise qualified under the new 3 stays at 3 different properties within a 12-month period? I know I had at least that number of stays before I was gifted my referral cert, and had my 60K points for requalifying for Plat the following year?
Shareholder, this would absolutely make sense in terms of the referral cert and whether or not the referee would get one. :-: I'm not sure when I plan to utilize my cert but I'll of course post the results here.

It will be interesting because I do NOT have enough stays to warrant RA status on my own. So I wonder if they will send me a ref cert as well.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 5:58 pm

Programs: Priority Club, Royal Ambassador
I gave my last one to a work colleague who is IC'ing for his ruby wedding anniversary ... the new one I just received is going to another colleague for her honeymoon ... what better way of distributing minibar largesse
Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:46 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
I agree that these certificates should not be sold or bartered for large somes. I for one would not look to sell a certificate or ask absured amounts of points for the certificate. I would be content to give back to the community and ask either a B1G1 certificate, 5k certificate, or a nice bottle of wine or something to show that the referral is appreciated.

I personally have given away several NWA certificates that I couldn't use, and a couple I could have used and didn't realize it. When it came time for me to need a certificate, I have a very tough time finding one, and the people I gave my certificates to (one was a very recent member) wouldn't even respond to my e-mails or PM's. They decided after they got what they needed Flyertalk wasn't for them.

I think that the flyertalk community should be about sharing experiences and letting people know the great deals that we find.

Just my 2 cents

Sincerely,

Timo
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:51 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Your heart is in the right place, timo469 . Unfortunately, the reality is that there will always be those who only know how to take and not to give, whether on FT or in society at large.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Deleted ......
Old Jun 26, 2005, 7:26 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Originally Posted by JimmyTheJock
I 'sold' the referral certificate I had to a fellow FT'er...the price...a decent bottle of Port...the thought of actually selling it on ebay or wherever never entered my head...after all the help I have had on this forum I felt for once I was giving something back. ^

I do agree with those who say one ought to check who it goes to...by that I mean have they been contributing to FT...either on a frequent basis if a more recent member...or for a long time if not too many posts.

That is of course subjective...but are all decisions not so?
Thanks do doing so. This is what helps make FT a LONG TERM community.^
Old Jul 10, 2005, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Has the value of RA changed lately? 100K miles or 150K PC points sounds like a good deal, even though it sounds like a bit much in terms of miles or points. How much is the gurranteed upgrade and free mini bar worth to you guys? So what drinks are usually kept in the mini bar anyway? I have never looked since I don't drink. So who is in need of a referral?

Last edited by Motion122; Jul 10, 2005 at 6:37 pm
Old Jul 10, 2005, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, Priority Club Plat AMB.,HHonors Gold,Amex
I honestly think that RA value is on the increase although 90-150k points is a lot to drop over time or at once. A referral would surely be nice and the easy route but I think I may have to earn my keeps since I'll feel a double hit losing hundreds in transfer fees plus many thousands of points.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 2:56 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Now there's been a lot of debate on this about the ethics & everything - personally I think the average opinion is skewed by it being easier to post the abhorrence of trading RA, than your agreement of it.

My opinion is/was, since it had become so easy to get RA, then why not trade it, as the mystique was lost - but hopefully they are toughening up qualification for it now.

But anyways, my point is, & I would hope we can all agree on it - anyone who is demanding points being transferred into their account, rather than someone redeeming in their name - incurring a substantial monetary transaction & loss, well that's deplorable & against all the spirit & ethos of FT, IMHO.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by tristan727
But anyways, my point is, & I would hope we can all agree on it - anyone who is demanding points being transferred into their account, rather than someone redeeming in their name - incurring a substantial monetary transaction & loss, well that's deplorable & against all the spirit & ethos of FT, IMHO.
If someone is willing to pay the transfer fee, then whats the problem? An RA cert is worth whatever someone is willing to offer for one.

What is interesting about RA, compared with, say, an airline upgrade cert, is that its value varies hugely from person to person. Someone planning 10 IC stays this year in 'high cost' countries and with a love of mini-bars will value a referral far more than someone who only wants it for a one-off stay somewhere.

Of course, the irony is that anyone with 90,000 points in their PC account will already be Plat. These people would probably find it easier and cheaper to simply do 3 IC stays and then claim RA for free!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.