Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Denied check-in due to living too close to the hotel - HIE Roanoke Civic Center

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2022, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Platinum elite, upgrade received before arrival.

At check-in, the agent said the hotel policy is no guests who live within 50 miles of the property. Apparently this is how many hotels in the region try to keep drug dealers/users out.

Both the hotel and IHG customer service agree that the hotel did not disclose the 50 mile radius rule in advance; not mentioned anywhere in booking process or on website.

Impossible to talk to anyone at IHG customer service who could provide any resolution or advice. Hotel's only advice was to find another hotel without the rule.

What is reasonable compensation for a situation like this, and what is the best way to contact IHG to get said compensation?
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
While the "no locals" policy is not that unusual, the hotel's failure to disclose it on IHG's booking site is pretty outrageous, especially since:

1. it would be easy for the property to do so; and
2. the property does disclose the policy on Travelocity's site:

"Only bookings from non-local guests are accepted; guests whose residence is within 50 mi (80 km) of the property will not be allowed to check in"

Source: https://www.travelocity.com/Roanoke-...el-Information

(Scroll down to "policies.")

In terms of compensation, I think that that would depend upon how badly you were inconvenienced, and whether you had to pay more for accommodations elsewhere. And I would make the point to the IHG representative that if third-party booking sites have more accurate information about an IHG property than the IHG website or app does, that will only encourage travelers to book through third-party sites. I'm pretty sure that IHG would prefer that travelers not do so.

Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 1:32 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by Doppy

At check-in, the agent said the hotel policy is no guests who live within 50 miles of the property. Apparently this is how many hotels in the region try to keep drug dealers/users out.

[...]

​​​​​​How sad is that...
Old Aug 20, 2022, 2:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Both the hotel and IHG customer service agree that the hotel did not disclose the 50 mile radius rule in advance; not mentioned anywhere in booking process or on website.

Impossible to talk to anyone at IHG customer service who could provide any resolution or advice. Hotel's only advice was to find another hotel without the rule.

What is reasonable compensation for a situation like this, and what is the best way to contact IHG to get said compensation?
Some of us check in with passports or passport cards and make our loyalty program account addresses on file to be in different jurisdictions than the residences. Greatly reduces the chances of this hitting in the US. If the hotels with such policy insist on a driving license, then that could complicate the matter for some.
MatthewLAX, wrp96, becks1 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I sometimes stay in Paris - my own town - to enjoy a suite in a palace.

Thank God this policy does not apply in the City of Light. 😊
Old Aug 20, 2022, 4:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
That's sad,
Also sloppy not being mentioned on their website

You could say you want to escape the summer heat and move into a hotel because of the airconditioning....
Likewise in Amsterdam more locals have fled into the hotels because of the scorching summer

Reasonable compensation in your case is the amount of points you would need to have to
make a booking:
at this hotel or at your alternative choice
nicolas75 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 4:59 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some of us check in with passports or passport cards and make our loyalty program account addresses on file to be in different jurisdictions than the residences. Greatly reduces the chances of this hitting in the US. If the hotels with such policy insist on a driving license, then that could complicate the matter for some.
Agree that checking in with a passport seems like a simple solution. Do hotels routinely mandate a state-issued ID if one tries to use a U.S. passport? I doubt that the hotel has access to the address on file in one's loyalty account, right?

There have been a lot of discussions about these policies on FlyerTalk. They are unfortunate but I suppose I have some empathy for the business decision that properties make. It seems like quite a heavy-handed solution to a problem that presumably only arises with a small minority of guests but, in America's highly litigious society, it's a way to avoid discrimination claims from people arbitrarily denied check-in.

If you were a hotel owner and felt compelled to institute such a policy, would you exempt travelers with elite status? This would seem like a good solution that would avoid discriminating against protected classes. It seems unlikely, though obviously not impossible, that a miscreant would have elite status (a hooker might have top-tier status in every hotel chain if she could convince her customers to book the rooms in her name), plus the property would theoretically be able to obtain more information about the identity of a customer with elite status once the customer committed a crime. I guess a sophisticated criminal would fake data in the rewards program. Interesting cost/benefit analysis for the hotel.
altabello and ewoo like this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 5:14 am
Suspended

RE: Passport - Surprised the thread hasn't been overrun with accusations of "fraud" and " omg you're breaking the rules poor hotel" etc etc.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:20 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
This rule is complete bunk: last Spring, I had to completely replace the roof of my house and the entire upstairs looked like a bomb hit it. We stayed at a local hotel for a few days and then at an Airbnb for a few more. Locals do have legit reasons for needing these accommodations, especially if one lives out in the distance suburbs or small towns and spent the night living it up on the town.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by northinsouth
This rule is complete bunk: last Spring, I had to completely replace the roof of my house and the entire upstairs looked like a bomb hit it. We stayed at a local hotel for a few days and then at an Airbnb for a few more. Locals do have legit reasons for needing these accommodations, especially if one lives out in the distance suburbs or small towns and spent the night living it up on the town.
This and many other perfectly legitimate reasons, more than the unlikely point runs they're trying to avoid.

I can think of at least several mistresses worth of reasons...
moondog, milski, DrTom and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by northinsouth
I suspect locals doing remodeling or repairs to their homes are a noteworthy minority of all guests at extended stay hotels. If the project would be completed quicker by turning off the water for a couple of days, then hotel it is.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I suspect locals doing remodeling or repairs to their homes are a noteworthy minority of all guests at extended stay hotels. If the project would be completed quicker by turning off the water for a couple of days, then hotel it is.
HIE is not an extended stay chain.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 12:03 pm

This shows what a run down place the US became. Very sad.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by estrela
This shows what a run down place the US became. Very sad.
deleted

Last edited by Ghoulish; Aug 20, 2022 at 1:05 pm
Old Aug 20, 2022, 1:03 pm

This is so strange. Is there really that many people booking a hotel room at, what, $85 a night, using their credit card to check in and showing photo ID, and then using it for a crime that disrupts the hotel operations?

And if there are actually that many disruptive criminal acts happening, does their policy of not letting someone with a home address within 50 miles actually stop it?

EDIT: I'm still thinking about this. Maybe it is IV drug users and they are leaving needles that are a safety risk to the hotel employees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.