Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Combining a reward night and a paid cash night (2 night stay)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Question Combining a reward night and a paid cash night (2 night stay)

IHG is about a fourth/fifth hotel chain for myself so I only have an orphan amount of points in my account, about 21,000.

There's a Holiday Inn Club Vacations Resort that is super convenient for an upcoming trip in a few weeks and I'd be staying for 2 nights. Each night is 25,000pts so I was looking at topping my points up to 25,000 (perhaps transferring some of my wife's Chase UR over) and doing one night on points and then paying cash for the other.

If I do that can I email the hotel or some such and have them combine the two reservations into one so I don't have change rooms? Will have my young daughter and the paraphernalia for a 20month old so switching rooms would be little annoying...

Thanks!
Old May 19, 2022, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Fraser
If I do that can I email the hotel or some such and have them combine the two reservations into one so I don't have change rooms? Will have my young daughter and the paraphernalia for a 20month old so switching rooms would be little annoying...
Yes that’s fine. If you use the same account details they will probably do it automatically anyway without you having to contact, but for comfort best to email or - my preference - give them a call during workday hours (for reservations) and they’ll sort it for you. The reservations will still show as two bookings in your account but the hotel will join them up.

Also bear in mind that you can use the cash+points option and/or just buy points, which may or may not be better value than booking one night cash, depending on the rates available.
Old May 21, 2022, 4:18 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
I wouldn't want to rely on the hotel automatically linking the two reservations, best to email them in advance. You might want to consider making the paid night the first night and in a better than basic room, chances are that you keep it for 2 nights.
Old May 21, 2022, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You will not be asked to change rooms if you book the same room type both times.

Asking in advance to combine reservations or similar is just a recipe for disaster. For example, the points price might have increased and you could end up paying more.

+1 for comparing the Cash & Points rate for 2 nights to just booking 1 with points and 1 with cash. And/or comparing against the cost of buying the required points during a points sale.

In general, either the points rate offers better value (buying points if necessary) or the cash rate offers better value.
Old May 21, 2022, 4:39 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Asking in advance to combine reservations or similar is just a recipe for disaster. For example, the points price might have increased and you could end up paying more.
It's not really asking them to combine reservations, just to make sure they allocate you the same room on consecutive days and it's worked very well for me on many occasions of combining points or credit card free nights with paid nights. The points payable will remain the points paid at the time of booking regardless of if the points rate has gone up at the time stay.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Indeed this would only keep the OP in the same room

I had two separete bookings for an IC in March and emailed them to say 'I have these two bookings can you please keep me in the same room'

The bookings remained separate in my IHG account and they posted as two separate stays with the correct number of nights and the correct number of points.
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.