Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: Extension of Annual Free Night from IHG Rewards Club Visa / Mastercard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
12/17/21 - separate thread discussing the already-extended certificates expiring 12/31/2021: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2054777-will-ihg-extend-expiration-certificates-set-expire-12-31-21-a-6.html
12/16 Updated today: https://thepointsguy.com/news/ihg-free-night-update/
12/15 People are seeing a new certificate posted with expiration of 8/31/2021
12/8 Doctor of Credit: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-ihg-to-extend-free-night-certificates-until-august-2021/
12/8 The Points Guy: https://thepointsguy.com/news/ihg-free-night-update
12/3 Loyalty Lobby: https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/12/03/opinion-ihg-is-really-shortsighted-for-not-extending-expiring-certificates
11/18 Loyalty Lobby: https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/11/18/...g-certificates

IHG Executive Contact Information for those who want to escalate:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/intercontinental-hotels/

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Extension of Annual Free Night from IHG Rewards Club Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jeffersun
Just got 40k for a chase FN expiring tomorrow. Phone rep said something to the effect of "chase is authorizing us to give points, but no extensions". Also told me I could still use the FN (which would have to be tonight so yeah not happening but...). All easy and painless apart from the 30 min phone hold
how many points are they offering?
Old Dec 30, 2022, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by RedElmo
how many points are they offering?
poster said 40k
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward
poster said 40k
Dang. And I forced myself to use it. I would have loved 40k
Old Dec 31, 2022, 12:39 pm

Just spent 90 minutes mostly on hold and they would not exchange or extend the cert expiring today. They did however give 10k points, citing its 'worth $135" if i were otherwise going to purchase points. It does not appear chase is covering anything as the points posted as such, perhaps thats because according to them, I could not use the award for a stay tonight, albeit still shows as available in my account, and I presume it will not as of 11:59 tonight. They should maybe consider making it more transparent "not eligible for stays beginning the night of 12/31/22, instead of 'expires 11:59 pm 12/31..."

"12/31/2022
IHG One Rewards Goodwill
10,000 pts"
Old Dec 31, 2022, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
I just called about my expiring award and was offered 20K goodwill points. I figure it was worth calling to get something for this award that I was unable to use.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 3:12 pm

Also just called and they gave me 25k points. The rep mentioned if I called a day earlier they would be able to issue the full 40k points 😅 but cannot do so today since the cert expires today
Old Dec 31, 2022, 3:33 pm

I posted in the other thread about my experience of not being offered anything for my expiring cert when I called in. I tried once more today and was told no extension, no conversion to points, but they gave me 5k points as a goodwill gesture. I don't know how they come up with the amounts because it seems to differ from person to person.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by pOOpiehead
Also just called and they gave me 25k points. The rep mentioned if I called a day earlier they would be able to issue the full 40k points 😅 but cannot do so today since the cert expires today
That has to be the craziest customer service ever. BTW, I had two expiring, and after they gave me points for one, they said no way would they give me anything for the second one.

So I went to use the second one today and it literally disappeared from my account. There one minute, gone the next. So I called back in and they said no way are we gonna comp you for a second expiring free night, even though it had disappeared and so was unusable.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 7:44 pm

I hate these ambiguous rules.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 7:45 pm

Yea my cert disappeared 3-4 hours early Eastern time. I was going to use it tonight last minute. Oh well....
Old Dec 31, 2022, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by scottybweyy
Yea my cert disappeared 3-4 hours early Eastern time. I was going to use it tonight last minute. Oh well....
same scenario a few years back (2019?), called IHG customer service and supervisor credited 40k points to my account to offset night expiring early

- (btw, found out that IHG certs expire at midnight Zulu time)

Last edited by medellinfein; Jan 1, 2023 at 5:23 pm
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:05 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by scottybweyy
You can't use it on 12/31. The checkout has to happen by 12/31.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by medellinfein
same scenario called IHG customer service and supervisor credited 40k points to my account to offset night expiring early
- (btw, found out that IHG certs expire at midnight Zulu time)
The number of points really is arbitrary. I called two weeks ago regarding extension or conversion to points, and was told that the certificate has already been extended from its original expiration date to end of 2022 and cannot be extended again. Rep also claimed to have no option of converting to points. Ended up booking a stay on Dec 30, but the hotel flooded due to a rainstorm and had to cancel. The certificate did not reappear on my account. But I'm not sure if its due to the hotel failed to properly cancel the stay, the cancellation occurred after the free cancellation cut-off time, or some other IHG hickups.

Called IHG, got transferred 3 times, and was eventually offered 10K.

Originally Posted by js1993
The terms say:
Anniversary Free Night must be redeemed, and stay must be completed, within 12 months from date of issue.
The term "completed" seems to indicate the check-out date. However, free nights have always be redeemable for check-in on the date of expiration. IHG promotions also use the check-in date for the "stay completed" date for bonuses.

Last edited by ithinkurdumb; Dec 31, 2022 at 8:58 pm
Old Dec 31, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
The terms say:

The term "completed" seems to indicate the check-out date. However, free nights have always be redeemable for check-in on the date of expiration. IHG promotions also use the check-in date for the "stay completed" date for bonuses.
I thought that latter loophole, such as it was, stopped working at least a year or two ago.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
That is not stated anywere afaik.

Source?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.