Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG accelerate 2019?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Whether you can get away with something has literally nothing to do with whether it is ethical or not. A person's character is defined by how they behave when no one is looking.

Don't you think that if your employer wanted to offer you additional compensation that it would be documented in policy somewhere, and not left to you to try to find ways to nickel and dime them? I have to think that if my job reduced me to hustling for $50 gift cards, I'd be looking for a new gig.
There is nothing unethical about booking a bonus points package. I am quoting your own company policy:

However, frequent flyer and hotel benefits are not acceptable justification for use of Non-Preferred Vendors or paying higher airfares.
Basically, your own company travel policy is saying things below:
1, You should book preferred vendor
2, You should not pay higher airfares
3, If you have to book from non-preferred vendor, or high airfares, your reasoning must be others rather than hotel benefit.

Now, I would be happy to recognise defeat if any three points above preventing you from booking a bonus points package. So, if IHG is your preferred vendor, if you book a bonus points package, there is nothing in your own company travel policy said you should not. Point me to the exact word if you disagree.

Now, if IHG is not your company's preferred vendor, there is nothing preventing you booking it neither. There would be two scenarios, one is if your company's preferred vendor charges higher room rate than IHG, then you are justified to book IHG. Because you are not going for the hotel benefits, you are going to cheaper rate. In this case, cheaper rate trumps the reason of hotel benefit. If your preferred vendor charges a room rate cheaper than IHG, then the ethical thing to do is to go with your preferred vendor.

The ethical thing about business travel is that when a Hilton is 150 dollars, and your preferred IHG is 180 dollars, you stay at Hilton. But if your preferred IHG is 150 dollars and company preferred Hilton is 400 dollars, you try to save company money by going to IHG in the justification that you saved company 250 dollars.

There is nothing unethical about choosing a package that is within company travel policy. And your own quoted travel policy does not forbid you to book such package from what you have quoted. If you are unsure, please ask your own HR department or travel team.

Another point I am going to make is, when you entertain your client during a business meeting, the company's preferred venue charges $1000 dollars. Do you agree that being 'ethical', you should take your client to some back street behind the market to save money?

Each company has their own travel policy, you have no right to call someone book 'bonus points package' 'unethical'. It is not for you to judge. It is for each individual company. After all, business traveller could have chosen a more expensive hotel for room only and sign expensive food and beverage bills to fit within the travel policy, but what it is unethical about to stay in a cheaper hotel and get few extra points in return? Plus, your own quoted company travel policy does not specifically forbid you to do so.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:03 am
Suspended

Just to report back that the IHG Q1 promotion will be open between 15th January to 30th April. The last date for registration is 15th March.

The promotion is said to award at least 40,000 points.

No registration yet, and the language is somewhere between 'free nights' 'free stay' or 'into the nights', not sure if it is accelerate. Once there is more information I will be the first to report here.
bsdstone, FFlash, minz56 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:05 am

Programs: Priority Club
Promotion Q1 2019

Originally Posted by Blackfox
Hi there,
Is there some kind of promo for Q1 2019? Like IHG accelerate used to be?
I'm holding on reservations but at some point soon I will have to make a decision and if IHG doesn't provide anything I may have to shop other brands in my wallet.
Hopefully we can get this thread back on topic. Seems to have drifted off onto a Company Benefits Thread.

Thanks,

UKD
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
Just to report back that the IHG Q1 promotion will be open between 15th January to 30th April. The last date for registration is 15th March.

The promotion is said to award at least 40,000 points.

No registration yet, and the language is somewhere between 'free nights' 'free stay' or 'into the nights', not sure if it is accelerate. Once there is more information I will be the first to report here.
Thanks! Hoping for something good!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Thanks! Hoping for something good!
Link is posted in a separate thread. But registration is not open yet. Enjoy.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Concerto
Not sure about Choice Hotels, they have rather a lot of crappy hotels in their portfoliol, some extremely crappy ones as well (e.g. Ramsgate!). I was wondering about Wyndham...
I've been looking at Wyndham myself because they're in the process of absorbing La Quinta, and I've got a stash of LQ points on hand. So far my take is that there can be some good value in very specific locations, especially if you can make their vacation apartment/condo/cottage redemptions work for you. But you often have to wade through a bunch of bad budget hotels in order to get there.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
That is what I felt I was doing at Choice, and definitely was doing at Accor, so I stopped. Too many bad hotels, one after another.

But this thread, which is a sort of speculation thread about an Accelerate equivalent for 2019, has veered way off topic. It would be really helpful to see what the promotion offers, if the registration is finally open. Would certainly help with stay planning over the coming weeks.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Link is posted in a separate thread. But registration is not open yet. Enjoy.
Where?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by adobbing

Where?
THIS ONE.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:18 pm

There is nothing unethical about booking a bonus points package. I am quoting your own company policy:

Basically, your own company travel policy is saying things below:
1, You should book preferred vendor
2, You should not pay higher airfares
3, If you have to book from non-preferred vendor, or high airfares, your reasoning must be others rather than hotel benefit.

Now, I would be happy to recognise defeat if any three points above preventing you from booking a bonus points package. So, if IHG is your preferred vendor, if you book a bonus points package, there is nothing in your own company travel policy said you should not. Point me to the exact word if you disagree.

Now, if IHG is not your company's preferred vendor, there is nothing preventing you booking it neither. There would be two scenarios, one is if your company's preferred vendor charges higher room rate than IHG, then you are justified to book IHG. Because you are not going for the hotel benefits, you are going to cheaper rate. In this case, cheaper rate trumps the reason of hotel benefit. If your preferred vendor charges a room rate cheaper than IHG, then the ethical thing to do is to go with your preferred vendor.

The ethical thing about business travel is that when a Hilton is 150 dollars, and your preferred IHG is 180 dollars, you stay at Hilton. But if your preferred IHG is 150 dollars and company preferred Hilton is 400 dollars, you try to save company money by going to IHG in the justification that you saved company 250 dollars.

There is nothing unethical about choosing a package that is within company travel policy. And your own quoted travel policy does not forbid you to book such package from what you have quoted. If you are unsure, please ask your own HR department or travel team.

Another point I am going to make is, when you entertain your client during a business meeting, the company's preferred venue charges $1000 dollars. Do you agree that being 'ethical', you should take your client to some back street behind the market to save money?

Each company has their own travel policy, you have no right to call someone book 'bonus points package' 'unethical'. It is not for you to judge. It is for each individual company. After all, business traveller could have chosen a more expensive hotel for room only and sign expensive food and beverage bills to fit within the travel policy, but what it is unethical about to stay in a cheaper hotel and get few extra points in return? Plus, your own quoted company travel policy does not specifically forbid you to do so.
Everyone on the internet is a lawyer. Good luck with your life.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:13 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

As the promotion is now open and has its own thread, I am goiung to close this speculation thread.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
adobbing likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.