Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Madrid Master Thread (Archive Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2006, 4:10 pm

IC Madrid Master Thread [merged]

Just spotted that the CP at Plaza de Espana is no longer a CP (or any of the other IC brands)

Does any one know what has become of this property? or which chain is now branding it ?

Thanks

Ian
Old May 30, 2006, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
When I tried to make a reservation for that CP last fall, a customer service representative would only say that they had "left the chain." I was disappointed, considering that the hotel had a wonderfully central location and rooms were usually at a decent price. I tried to do a quick internet search this evening as to who is the current operator, but couldn't find anything.

On my last trip, at Easter, I stayed at the IC and was quite happy with that choice.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Bad news. I liked that property and the location.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 2:35 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
It's a bit of a pain that the only 2 practical ICH properties in Madrid are the IC and the HI. None of the HIX's are anywhere near the centre... it would be nice to have at least one more ICH property in town.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by schofs
It's a bit of a pain that the only 2 practical ICH properties in Madrid are the IC and the HI. None of the HIX's are anywhere near the centre... it would be nice to have at least one more ICH property in town.
True...!

However, the IC is such a great hotel ... I like the location ... and the underground to the city center and MAD is not far.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Originally Posted by USAFAN
True...!

However, the IC is such a great hotel ... I like the location ... and the underground to the city center and MAD is not far.
Completely agree - it's my favourite hotel in Madrid, service from the the lounge staff is second-to-none
Old May 12, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: CO Gold - 1MM, IC Plat, Hertz PC
Sorry to *bump* this thread up, but I was searching for why this CP closed....I passed by the building today (Edificio de Espana) and the entire building is vacated, every business in it has been closed and the windows are papered over. Looking inside (between the cracks) the CPs lobby looks like someone went through there with a sledge hammer.

Sure wish this hotel was still there, it was a great location with a nice atmosphere overlooking the plaza de espana. My last stay there I had the top floor with a large private balcony overlooking the plaza.

For anyone interested in a hotel in the near vicinity I am staying at a Sofitel about 2 blocks from there and its just about as nice, albeit not a ICHG.

Does anyone know what is becoming of the building or why it closed up shop? Its hard to believe such a large building in centro Madrid could sit idle for too long. or if another CP is in in the works for Madrid?
Old May 12, 2007, 3:59 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
I stayed in the (excellent) IC Madrid in January and there was a magazine in the room with an article on the building that used to contain the CP. I can't remember exactly, but seem to remember the building had been sold and arguments were taking place about it's future.
Old May 13, 2007, 9:47 am

Programs: not a lot
Anyone recommend anywhere nice to eat in Madrid?

It's for my wedding anniversary so cost is not an issue.

I was thinking of booking at 'La Broche', anyone recommend it or somewhere similar?

LL
Old May 14, 2007, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by LiviLion
No question. Paradis. It's probably the best and most romantic in town. It is very close to the Westin Palace. The whole ambiance is incredible and the food divine.
Old May 14, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Originally Posted by LiviLion

It's for my wedding anniversary so cost is not an issue.

I was thinking of booking at 'La Broche', anyone recommend it or somewhere similar?

LL
I would vote for El Botin.
Old May 17, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: BA GFL. AA EXP. Amex Plat. Mucci.
I walked by the CP property last Friday.....it's been closed for good. No new hotel in its place....
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
So, this would seem to be the thread covering the IC Madrid on Castellana. Had a very pleasant 3 day stay there recently, on points. After making the bokking online for a superior room i got in touch with inhouse reservations and asked about upgrades. Response was AMB provides one level upgrade, to deluxe room with no Club access. Upon my request they agreed i could "buy up" the room rate based on the unrestricted rates from superior to Club (45 euro per night), and then take my one level AMB upgrade to a junior suite, with club access. A no brainer IMO.

The club had good food all day, with a very large breakfast buffet, and hot cooked choices as well. The wine selection was so so but the cava was good as were the San Miguels.

Location is a little quiet with banks and embassies but quiet close to Serrano St, and one day we walked from the Palace back to the IC (about 90 minutes but it was a nice day.) Taxis there were plentiful and not expensive (for Europe.) All in all a very pleasant experience- I would return.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
The club had good food all day
Food is not that excellent at the lounge, except for the breakfast

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Location is a little quiet with banks and embassies but quiet close to Serrano St
The Plaza Colon and Retiro park are quite close to the hotel. Taxis are very cheap in Madrid, and the nearest metro station is hundred meters from the hotel.
At check-in, ask for a room with a view, because upgrade for RA from standard room is generally a nice executive room, but on the - ugly - courtyard.

This is the translation of the review I made in French on tripadvisor.com

The movida already seems far, but Madrid is still a very charming city. More bourgeois - and perhaps more austere - than Barcelona, the capital of Spain have indeed many creative and pleasant places.

To enjoy the charms of this city, the Hotel InterContinental Madrid is perfectly situated, close to the subway station Gregorio Maranon, 800 metres from the Plaza Colon and the luxury shops, and about 2.5 km of the very nice Parque del Retiro.

The hotel welcomes you in a lobby with stucco and gilt which remind you that you are in an luxury institution , with the traditional charms of the past (although the building is actually quite recent).

The junior suites are quite spacious and very traditionally decorated. The rooms overlooking the inner courtyard, which is not exceptionally beautiful, have the advantage of being very quiet, but on the other hand are low light.

The Club InterContinental Lounge is a pleasant, albeit average size: located on the first floor, and overlooking the - busy - Paseo de la Castellana, it offers throughout the day refreshments, sofas and in the morning a good breakfast.

The fitness centre is also small, but well equipped. The hotel has no pool, which is a bad point as it is quite tempting to swim when temperatures in the city increase sharply in summertime.

The highlight of the hotel: exceptional and friendly service on the part of all staff,.

If the hotel has not the greatness or the splendour of the Ritz Madrid, it nevertheless remains an excellent choice by its location and its quality of service.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: not a lot
The IC Madrid is excellent and the staff are fantastic.

I was there on business recently and the company booked me the cheapest room possible.

A couple of days before arrival my booking was changed to an Executive room. The day before arrival it had been changed again to a Junior Suite.

The junior suite was about 2.5 x the rate of the superior room.

I filled in a comments card at the IC club desk and by the time I had gone home I had a scanned letter of thanks from the General Manager in my inbox.

Add in free club access, free minibar, free wireless internet, etc and you have a great hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.