FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IC Madrid Master Thread (Archive Thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1836649-ic-madrid-master-thread-archive-thread.html)

gcinet Apr 21, 2001 12:24 pm

IC Madrid Master Thread (Archive Thread)

Anyone stayed there? What are your thoughts?

Greg

Djlawman Apr 21, 2001 3:13 pm

Stayed there last summer for three nights while on vacation. While it was nice enough, I was not particularly impressed. Wish we had stayed at the Palace instead. It is in a business area, not much nearby. Staff was very friendly though, and our room (with a rollaway for our son) was fine. Got our fruit/water basket and 6CC amenity (bottle of wine). Food was okay. I guess my biggest complaint was that it is not near enough to many of the major sites. Will be happy to answer an specific questions you might have.

Djlawman

ralfkrippner Apr 13, 2002 12:21 am

IC Madrid

Im planning a trip in June to MAD. Is this a good hotel? They mention they will just end some renovation in June. What to await for upgrades?

The rate is a new lowly advertised rate of 140€ p. room incl. breakfast.

Shareholder Apr 13, 2002 4:37 pm

I've stayed here a few times and find it comfortable and quite acceptable. It is a bit far from the centre of the city -- plaza del Sol, the Prada, etc. -- but close by a metro station. Also a short walk to several nice districts for small local restaurants, shops and cafés. Upgrades will depend on your SCC status, of course.

Roger Apr 14, 2002 9:38 am

The renovation is almost complete. When we were there in February, the gym/sauna wasn't open, but they offered alternative facilities (which we didn't use).

As I'm a regular SCC member, we were upgraded to a junior suite, with wine, fruit, water etc and used our 2nd night free voucher.

As Shareholder points out, the hotel is slightly remote, but taxis are reasonably priced - although our taxi driver from the airport managed to make a 'mistake' with the Euro currency until I pointed it out to him! I felt I needed the extra €10 change more than he did.

I'm not sure how typical this is, but as you have got used to the Euro, Ralf, this should not be a problem for you!

SFOBayFlyer May 12, 2002 10:07 pm

Not a bad hotel for the price we paid! We found a super rate of 109 Euros a night and for that price, you couldn't beat it. Make sure you request a nice view, as you may end up with a room facing a block wall...Overall good service and a nice place for the money

jackplum Mar 22, 2005 5:34 pm

IC Madrid

IC Castellana-Madrid

Headed there first week of April - Any comments or observations?

Thanks in advance

Shareholder Mar 23, 2005 3:28 am

I've stayed here on most visits to Madrid. It is not central to most tourist areas, though these can be reached by bus down Castellana, subway, or a pleasant walk. Rooms are a reasonable size though it has been a few years so I don't know if they've been rennovated recently. They didn't need it when I was last there, but some people do prefer modern styling to the more traditional 80s decore of most ICs. There are a few nice districts nearby for evening walks or local restaurant meals, sidewalk cafes and bars if the weather is nice. Never experienced any problems here, and they often had special offers for Ambassadors: bottle of wine with meal, that sort of thing.

jackplum Mar 23, 2005 6:20 am

Thanks.

My previous stays have been in the area south of Puerto del Sol. Now with my Ambassador status and free certificate, I figured going a bit upscale wouldn't hurt. I have friends in the Salamanca district so this should be just about in between them and the Prado to Plaza Major corridor. Just a quick hop on the Metro either way.

I did get an email from the hotel welcoming me and that was unusual and unexpected. I think the PC CSR passed on that I'm going there for my anniversary.

Unfortunately, Madrid is the only city I'll be visiting that has any IC properties. It's interesting to pick destinations based on hotel affiliation!

Thanks again.

USAFAN Jun 4, 2005 10:36 am

I was there recently - I guess it was renovated since Shareholder was there.

I wrote this at Tripadvisor:

"..This is really a great hotel. Our room was pretty large, nicely furnished and very clean.
The staff at the executive floor was terrific and very helpful...we did not stay at the executive
floor, but could use their top service.

Yes, the location is in a business area, however, it's a very nice area. In walking distance to the
ABC Serrano shopping center. The Metro is not far, the "Madrid Vision" bus stops nearby.
Taxis are not expensive. This may be the best hotel we ever stayed...we generally stay at
Westin or Hilton.

I would go back to Madrid and this hotel anytime...."

Shareholder Jun 5, 2005 10:54 am

I see you were impressed, USAFAN -- I have since shared a pint with Jackplum who told me more details of his visit -- but just curious if you are an AMBASSADOR or RA, and they gave you Club access on a regular room rate as part of their upgrade benefit?

USAFAN Jun 5, 2005 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
I see you were impressed, USAFAN -- I have since shared a pint with Jackplum who told me more details of his visit -- but just curious if you are an AMBASSADOR or RA, and they gave you Club access on a regular room rate as part of their upgrade benefit?

I am an Ambassador. When I checked in, the reception called the club (mentioning "Ambassador") and a girl came and showed us to our room, which was not on the club level....but very nice (with a bottle of red wine and fruits). She told us that we can use the "club services". It would have cost us Euro 30/40 or so more to stay at the club level.
And the girls at the club desk helped me to pick up my Avis car from Noevos Ministeros and not Gran Via ...
Bottom line: It's a well run hotel .. and it's a pleasure to stay there. Also Madrid was great, pretty city, nice people. I think it's nicer than Barcelona .. We went MAD-Toledo (by car)-MAD-BCN

stimpy Jun 5, 2005 12:49 pm

Back when I was just an Ambassador, I stayed there several times. I was never offered club access, but always got a nice room with a bottle of wine and fruit. The price is usually quite reasonable and the reason I generally choose the I-C over the CP in Madrid. However if the I-C is full and their prices are high, I don't mind the CP at all.

USAFAN Jun 5, 2005 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Back when I was just an Ambassador, I stayed there several times. I was never offered club access, but always got a nice room with a bottle of wine and fruit...

I think I have to clarify ... I was not offered "club access". I was told that I can come to the Club, if I need any help etc.
Club access, staying at club level would have cost Euro 30/40 a night more...I don't recall the correct amount. Sorry for the confusion ..

ralfkrippner Sep 5, 2005 3:28 am

I'm currently staying at the IC MAD. I had booked two stays with two days each, one with a superiour room, one with an executive room and asked to combine both bookings into one. I got a new booking with an assigned club room.

The few times a year when I travel with my wife, upgrades are important to me - and you usually get the good upgrades only when just staying for the night instead of the vacation stays... So I sent a fax a few days ahead and asked if I could get an upgrade to a jr. suite when paying up to a club room (I am RA). I got a call back that they can't guarantee but will look into upgrading me upon availability on arrival without a charge. And yes - I got the jr. suite.

The suite is quite nice and large, facing the corner of castellana street. The club is very nice and offers a good breakfast buffet. The lounge staff is very friendly and helpful. Just one little downside: the minibar has not been refilled now for the second day - and I wonder if this is by chance... :(