Wiki Posts
Search

10% Points Rebate with (legacy) credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:10 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, I've got a completely different weird story. A couple days ago I got an IHG 10% rebate entry in my account for 1,000 points. The only thing is: I had my last IHG reward night stay in the summer for 15000 points, and then 1,500 rebate for that posted a month or two later, and my previous IHG rewards stay for 10000 points (after C+P conversion to all points) was January 2016 and the 1,0000 point rebate for that posted a month or so later.

So I cannot for the life of me figure out why I got this 1,000 point 10% rebate all of a sudden in the past couple days.

Which in turn makes me wonder if the whole rebate posting has gone bonkers, and can result in different weird results for different people.
How do Cash and points rebates work? I'm looking at a hotel that is:

20K on points
or 15K + $40
or 10K + $70

If I book the 20K points redemption, I get 2K rebate. However, the cash and points redemptions are effectively coded as purchasing points and then redeeming points by IHG. So would I get 2K for any of the 3 scenarios? Or 2K for a points redemption, 1.5K rebate for the 15K + $40 redemption, and 1K rebate for the 10K + $70 redemption?

Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
So i had some reward reservations made a few months ago, received new IHG card two weeks ago and tested the water by rebooking two nights.

I cancelled two rewards nights at IC Le Moana Bora Bora, they never came back into inventory!

Surelty you shoudnt have to cancel and rebook in order to get 10% rebate!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
How do Cash and points rebates work?
Since the C+P booking is really a points booking where you purchase some of the points at the time of booking, you should get the rebate on the 20K. After all, if you make the reservation and then cancel it, you get 20K points back, not your original points plus your cash portion. Put another way, you are paying 20K points for the room, after buying some of the points at reservation time. However, I have not read the T&C to confirm my opinion.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by serpens
Since the C+P booking is really a points booking where you purchase some of the points at the time of booking, you should get the rebate on the 20K. After all, if you make the reservation and then cancel it, you get 20K points back, not your original points plus your cash portion. Put another way, you are paying 20K points for the room, after buying some of the points at reservation time. However, I have not read the T&C to confirm my opinion.
Do we have any new datapoints on this? Or would it be safe to do a C+P, cancel, and rebook as a full points award?
Old May 9, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by coffee18
Do we have any new datapoints on this? Or would it be safe to do a C+P, cancel, and rebook as a full points award?
You don't need to cancel and rebook it. You get the full 10% credit card rebate on the cash & points night for the full/total number of points. Reason being, as others have mentioned, once you pay for the partial points it's like a full points stay.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:24 pm
Original Member

Checking on data points for 10% rebate if they credit 2x a month.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sggolf
Checking on data points for 10% rebate if they credit 2x a month.
They post/credit the same time as the IHG CC points post. So once a month. At least that's my experience.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Steph58
They post/credit the same time as the IHG CC points post. So once a month. At least that's my experience.
Not me. I received the 10% rebate on points on both July 28 and August 8 most recently. August 8 was when all the other IHG Rewards Card credit was posted.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
So, far this year.

Mar 28
Jun 28
Aug 28

Those are the dates I have gotten my 10% back.....I see a slight pattern.
Also the same day my CC points post and I have varied from 2 weeks to 5 weeks on redemption to refund

YMMV
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cut off of tallying time

Fresh DPs

Had 4 reward nights between Sept 7 and 13th.

3 of them posted to account before Sept 15. 10% rebate of all 3 shows up today.

The stay on Sept 13th was posted to account on Sept 16 (but the welcome amenity points posted on Sept 14), does not see the 10% rebate yet. My guess is it misses the cut off on Sept 15.

We will know whether it is processed by end of the Sept (if it is twice a month processing) or Oct 15 (if it is once a month processing).

The 500 amenity points posted super fast from HIX and Candlewood. I got emails about receiving amenity points before check out, on each stay.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
So, far this year.

Mar 28
Jun 28
Aug 28

Those are the dates I have gotten my 10% back.....I see a slight pattern.
Also the same day my CC points post and I have varied from 2 weeks to 5 weeks on redemption to refund

YMMV
I see NO pattern. I've received the 10% back on August 30th, September 11th and September 21st over the last month alone.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Do rebates apply for C&P awards? I've successfully seen them apply for full points awards, but recently booked my first C&P award and just wondering if it will apply.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Do rebates apply for C&P awards? I've successfully seen them apply for full points awards, but recently booked my first C&P award and just wondering if it will apply.
There's no such thing as an IHG C&P reservation. IHG C&P only exists in the booking process. At IHG, C&P is nothing more than you buying some points during the booking process. The actually booking is done using pure points by the last step.

If you check your reservation after you've made it, you will find it's purely a points reservation by that time.

And if you cancel a reservation you made with C&P, you get no cash back, you instead get the full points back. (The points purchase you do during a C&P reservation is not reversible.)

Having said all that, it's July 2018, and there are multiple IHG credit cards out there, and AFAIK it's only the legacy ($49 AF) IHG credit card that gives the 10% rebate, not any of the newer cards. So if you don't have the older $49 AF card, you won't likely get 10% back on either pure points or C&P reservations.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
That was a good break down, but I think with the OP wants to know is whether they get the full 10% on the full points "rate" or the "discounted" number: 35K vs. 25K plus cash (as an example)? In that case, it'd be the full 3500 points.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by sdsearch
There's no such thing as an IHG C&P reservation. IHG C&P only exists in the booking process. At IHG, C&P is nothing more than you buying some points during the booking process. The actually booking is done using pure points by the last step.

If you check your reservation after you've made it, you will find it's purely a points reservation by that time.

And if you cancel a reservation you made with C&P, you get no cash back, you instead get the full points back. (The points purchase you do during a C&P reservation is not reversible.)

Having said all that, it's July 2018, and there are multiple IHG credit cards out there, and AFAIK it's only the legacy ($49 AF) IHG credit card that gives the 10% rebate, not any of the newer cards. So if you don't have the older $49 AF card, you won't likely get 10% back on either pure points or C&P reservations.
Thanks, I have the legacy card. Glad to see the 10% will apply at some point post stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.