FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   10% Points Rebate with (legacy) credit cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1702245-10-points-rebate-legacy-credit-cards.html)

Points Scrounger Aug 12, 2015 9:12 pm

10% Points Rebate with (legacy) credit cards

How exactly is this triggered? Is it based on a stay being charged to one's card for incidentals?

soitgoes Aug 12, 2015 11:42 pm

No, just the redemption on the account. The rebate appears in sweeps, always after the stay if the rebate is for award nights.

FonzieBone Aug 13, 2015 1:07 am

The rebate is only on point redemption, not earning activity.

For instance, if you redeem 20,000 points for a reward night, about 6 weeks later you'll get 2000 points back. These come from Chase, not IHG, so they're who you'd want to contact with questions/discrepancies.

Points Scrounger Aug 13, 2015 9:05 am

How does Chase know that you redeemed points in the first place without some sort of triggering transaction?

ARR72 Aug 13, 2015 1:07 pm

I've contacted IHG before w/questions over an awards stay not posting the rebate. They were responsive (i.e., didn't refer me to Chase).

soitgoes Aug 14, 2015 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by FonzieBone (Post 25263958)
These come from Chase, not IHG, so they're who you'd want to contact with questions/discrepancies.

It may be that Chase pays IHG for these points, but the crediting is handled via IHG.

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 25265414)
How does Chase know that you redeemed points in the first place without some sort of triggering transaction?

They don't

Points Scrounger Aug 14, 2015 9:32 pm

OK then ... how would IHG know I was a cardholder who should be rebated?

sdsearch Aug 14, 2015 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 25273491)
OK then ... how would IHG know I was a cardholder who should be rebated?

The same way it works everywhere else. The bank sends that information to the program. (That's also how an airline knows you've got a credit card that gives you benefits like a free checked bag or priority boarding. And/or, at, AA, a similar rebate on redeemed miles, though capped at AA while it's uncapped at IHG.)

Come on, for one thing, they'd know because you're earning points with the card and/or earning annual free night certs with the card! So how could they not know you've had the card? :confused:

So the only question should be about timing: If you get the card, how soon do they know you have it, and if you close the card, how soon do they know you no longer have it? (And I don't know the answers to those.)

But factoring out the timing details, it's obvious to IHG you have the Chase card if points from the card and/or certs from the card are posting at least annually.

(For all I know, Chase may even send the statement points total to IHG every month, even if it's 0. But they certainly send it when it's non-zero.)

By the way, in case you forgot, another benefit of the Chase card is that it gives you Platinum status. Obviously IHG has to know you have the Chase card to do that!!!

Points Scrounger Aug 15, 2015 10:36 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 25273591)
By the way, in case you forgot, another benefit of the Chase card is that it gives you Platinum status. Obviously IHG has to know you have the Chase card to do that!!!

Ummm .... not if you were already Spire upon applying for the card.

I asked the question as I'm planning on applying for the card soon, but already have a booking for later that would generate a significant rebate. I suppose the answer is that one's account is flagged as a card holder upon issuance. I've never used a credit card to get airline benefits like free bags.

sdsearch Aug 15, 2015 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 25275229)
I suppose the answer is that one's account is flagged as a card holder upon issuance.

Some time around issuance, yes. But without finding past threads where datapoints on Plat status upgrade speed (for those who did not have Plat or Spire before the getting card), I would not assume any particular timing. I could possibly envision, for example, how it might possibly not be sent until your first card statement closes.

But again, I bet there's plenty of datapoints on this in some other thread from the past. But you presumably didn't look for one if you started a new thread about this now. (The 10% rebate has been available for quite a few years now, and AFAIK has worked the same the whole time.)

medellinfein Aug 16, 2015 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 25275229)
Ummm .... not if you were already Spire upon applying for the card.

I asked the question as I'm planning on applying for the card soon, but already have a booking for later that would generate a significant rebate. I suppose the answer is that one's account is flagged as a card holder upon issuance. I've never used a credit card to get airline benefits like free bags.

You probably will not get that rebate for a pre-existing booking.

terpfan101 Sep 8, 2015 12:39 pm

Are we still looking at a 6 week time frame to get rebate points to post? I checked out of the IC Bora Bora in mid August after a stay in which my wife and I each used some points to book from each of our accounts. We each have the card. Not sure if it matters but all incidentals were posted to her account. Just wondering how long I should wait before contacting someone and if I need to contact someone, who that is (Chase or IHG)?

cxua Sep 10, 2015 7:02 am

Originally Posted by terpfan101 (Post 25394039)
Are we still looking at a 6 week time frame to get rebate points to post? I checked out of the IC Bora Bora in mid August after a stay in which my wife and I each used some points to book from each of our accounts. We each have the card. Not sure if it matters but all incidentals were posted to her account. Just wondering how long I should wait before contacting someone and if I need to contact someone, who that is (Chase or IHG)?

I checked out in mid July and haven't gotten the 10% rebate. I'm unsure how it supposed to be credited anyhow.

darthbimmer Sep 10, 2015 11:40 am

Originally Posted by cxua (Post 25404213)
I checked out in mid July and haven't gotten the 10% rebate. I'm unsure how it supposed to be credited anyhow.

The credit appears directly on your IHG statement as a 10% award rebate. It does not appear on your credit card statement. As it has been more than 6 weeks since your stay I suggest you call IHG.

Ambraciot Oct 11, 2015 9:31 pm

I just saw that my rebate for an August stay posted as non-qualifying points... if it's not a fluke getting to Spire just got harder for high redemption cardholders.