Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10% Points Rebate with (legacy) credit cards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
10% Points Rebate

I have the IHG credit card, which I believe entitles me to a 10% rebate on awards bookings. I stayed at the Hotel Indigo Chelsea about two weeks ago, and the rebate points still haven't posted. How long does it usually take for them to post? Have you ever had any issues with them posting and had to chase them down?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:16 pm

Per T&C:

Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
I have the IHG credit card, which I believe entitles me to a 10% rebate on awards bookings. I stayed at the Hotel Indigo Chelsea about two weeks ago, and the rebate points still haven't posted. How long does it usually take for them to post? Have you ever had any issues with them posting and had to chase them down?
My last one posted in about 5 weeks, within the 6 weeks of the T&C.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL, AC, CX, BA, AGR, IHG, HH, CC, UR, MR, TY
It took a little under 4 weeks from checkout for the 1k rebate points to post.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
IIRC - it is far enough away that you wonder "Where did those points come from" LOL
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The rebates are posted in BATCHES, ONCE A MONTH.

So it depends on when your stay happened - if it was at the first half of the month, then you have a good chance to see it in the FOLLOWING MONTH after your stay. If it was at the second half of the month, then it would take to the 3rd month from your stay to see the rebate.

You do need to keep track on it especially if you have a lot of points to come back because system glitches do happen. Periodically the rebates simply are a no show. Then after the 8 weeks if still a no show, call IHG and the rep generally is able to look it up and manually post it while you are still on the phone. However if you call before the 8 weeks time, you would just be told to wait, rightfully so.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 6:03 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
The rebates are posted in BATCHES, ONCE A MONTH.

So it depends on when your stay happened - if it was at the first half of the month, then you have a good chance to see it in the FOLLOWING MONTH after your stay. If it was at the second half of the month, then it would take to the 3rd month from your stay to see the rebate.
This doesn't match my experience. Stayed on the 23rd, received the rebate on the 26th of the following month.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ehallison
This doesn't match my experience. Stayed on the 23rd, received the rebate on the 26th of the following month.
In this case the process has improved, i.e. they now do at least 2 batches a month so the 2nd half of month stay got the rebate on the 2nd half of next month.

Still, the point is the posting is a batch process and takes a month to see the rebate when the OP asked why he did not see it 2 weeks after his award stay when the T&C says 4 to 6 weeks.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
I had 3 50K point nights (150K total) in December. Instead of 15K rebate I only got 6K.
Chatted with the IHG Rewards Customer Support. They confirmed I should have gotten 15K. But they told me to wait a few days and then contact Chase, since the 10% rebate comes from Chase. Contacted Chase, no response yet.

But I've noticed that the rebate usually posts the same day or a day later than I get my points from the IHG Rewards credit card, so I suspect thats the timing.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I've got a completely different weird story. A couple days ago I got an IHG 10% rebate entry in my account for 1,000 points. The only thing is: I had my last IHG reward night stay in the summer for 15000 points, and then 1,500 rebate for that posted a month or two later, and my previous IHG rewards stay for 10000 points (after C+P conversion to all points) was January 2016 and the 1,0000 point rebate for that posted a month or so later.

So I cannot for the life of me figure out why I got this 1,000 point 10% rebate all of a sudden in the past couple days.

Which in turn makes me wonder if the whole rebate posting has gone bonkers, and can result in different weird results for different people.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:05 am

I forget, do you need to have the mastercard at the time of booking, or at the time of the stay, or both?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
You must be a cardholder at booking. I got my card after booking a stay of two rooms for four nights, new card presented upon arrival: nada.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:45 am

Thanks for the info. I rebooked my points reservations.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, I've got a completely different weird story. A couple days ago I got an IHG 10% rebate entry in my account for 1,000 points. The only thing is: I had my last IHG reward night stay in the summer for 15000 points, and then 1,500 rebate for that posted a month or two later, and my previous IHG rewards stay for 10000 points (after C+P conversion to all points) was January 2016 and the 1,0000 point rebate for that posted a month or so later.

So I cannot for the life of me figure out why I got this 1,000 point 10% rebate all of a sudden in the past couple days.

Which in turn makes me wonder if the whole rebate posting has gone bonkers, and can result in different weird results for different people.
Well, I guess it was a mistake, and they spotted it:

They've now posted a matching -1000 points "credited" 4 days later (though it did not show up in my account until well after that).
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
You must be a cardholder at booking. I got my card after booking a stay of two rooms for four nights, new card presented upon arrival: nada.
Fight and Claw. Here are the exact terms:

10% Rebate: Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account, and 4 to 6 weeks after date of redemption for all other (non-Reward Night) redemption items. Maximum number of points to be rebated not to exceed 100,000 points in a calendar year. "Calendar year" means January 1 through December 31 of that same year. For example, if your account is opened on June 1, you’ll only have 7 months to qualify and earn your bonus for that year. IHG® Rewards Club reserves the right to reverse rebated points when redemption item has been returned. In order to receive points for redemption rebates, you must be a U.S. IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card holder and your IHG® Rewards Club account must be in good standing.Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment. The 10% rewards rebate does not apply to redemption of the annual free night benefit.
There is no mention of actually requiring to have the card when you book. Although trying to get the actual 10% back has been a real PITA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.