Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
What points count towards status?

"Base points earned from Qualifying Rates paid for hotel stays, points collected from partner transactions, IHG® Rewards Club Bonus Points Packages and Meeting Rewards are considered Elite Qualifying Points and counted towards membership elite status."
  • The bonus points received for the credit card sign-up are nonqualifying towards status.
  • Points from credit card spend are qualifying points and will count toward a member's status qualification.
  • Bonus Point Packages are qualifying points and will count toward a member's status qualification.
  • Bonus points received through promos, including credit card offers, are nonqualifying points for status.

What activity resets the one-year point expiration clock (i.e., prevents points from expiring)?
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programmes like e-rewards
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (including an award booking that is subsequently canceled)
  • Being a dining rewards member
Print Wikipost

Change to IHG Rewards Club 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
I once got a bottle of water AND a Doritos bag for being Platinum on a 7 night stay. Why do you guys complain?
I got 2 x 2-finger KitKats last week.

Hiwever, it was a bit underhand on my part. I had negotiated a late check out and so was still in the room when housekeeping came round to deliver the 2nd one for the next guest .....
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:02 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Petrus
If you stay enough with a property, they'll look after you anyway.
That's true, but this is not the point when running a worldwide loyalty program for a hotel group... Many people may be able to be loyal to the group as a whole, but unable to be loyal to a particular hotel.

HTB.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by htb
That's true, but this is not the point when running a worldwide loyalty program for a hotel group... Many people may be able to be loyal to the group as a whole, but unable to be loyal to a particular hotel.

HTB.
Also true.
Will be interesting to see how this develops.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by htb
The point of a world wide loyalty program is to drive business to the chain. And IHG has been pretty good at that.

The point of any hotel treating a regular client nicer than normal is just good business and been going on throughout human history. But yes this is outside of any program. There are plenty of people who are not even registered in the PC or AMB program who get better treatment than RA's at their preferred hotel(s).
Old Jun 25, 2015, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
The point of a world wide loyalty program is to drive business to the chain. And IHG has been pretty good at that.

The point of any hotel treating a regular client nicer than normal is just good business and been going on throughout human history. But yes this is outside of any program. There are plenty of people who are not even registered in the PC or AMB program who get better treatment than RA's at their preferred hotel(s).
For most non-company owned (and even probably the company owned properties) the key focus is running their business. Loyalty to them and their property/business is MUCH more important than loyalty to the chain. For the property management chain affiliation is a way to attract customers and then hope to retain them with more personalised targeted appeal if they are deemed to be valuable
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
I once got a bottle of water AND a Doritos bag for being Platinum on a 7 night stay. Why do you guys complain?
I'm also a high roller .... I got a bag of cheese Kettle crisps and a beer at HIX Birmingham Star City a few weeks back. The alternative was a voucher for a whole 600 IHG points! I asked for a second bag of crisps for Mrs Atacama. They said no!

You know you've made it when your offered Kettle crisps.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:50 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Mike DeFrino, CEO Kimpton
Dear *****,
{snip}– keeping Kimpton Karma as unique as it is and also giving you the ability to tap into the rich IHG Rewards Club perks.{snip}
Best,
Mike DeFrino, CEO
Mike DeFrino
CEO
Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants
SRIUSLY? Mr DeFrino considers IHG Rewards Club perks to be 'rich'?

I think that IHG Rewards Club(excluding RA) falls somewhere between Choice/Best Western/Club Carlson/Wyndham loyalty programs and Hilton/Marriott/Hyatt/SPG loyalty programs. There are too few defined benefits for the program, especially for top tiers. That needs to be addressed.

But KitKats and Kettle Chips are more than you're going to be offered by Best Western, so it could be worse.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
The Indigo I usually stay at in the UK has a free mini-bar that is quite nice. You get a small bottle of red wine, white wine, some beers, a lemonade can, a Coke can, a Kit-Kat and packet of crisps. All free and restocked every day.

It's nice having some refrigerated snacks in the room. Whilst Club Lounge access (in CPs, ICs, etc) is nice, you have to put some clothes on to go and grab some snacks from the Club Lounge!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 4:25 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by rumbataz
The Indigo I usually stay at in the UK has a free mini-bar that is quite nice. You get a small bottle of red wine, white wine, some beers, a lemonade can, a Coke can, a Kit-Kat and packet of crisps. All free and restocked every day.

It's nice having some refrigerated snacks in the room. Whilst Club Lounge access (in CPs, ICs, etc) is nice, you have to put some clothes on to go and grab some snacks from the Club Lounge!
Yes, I've only ever stayed at the Indigo in Birmingham, but it has the free minibar with beer, crisps and a kitkat.

Nice place too!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:36 am

You could just run to the club lounge and hope for the best
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Oliveredmunds
You could just run to the club lounge and hope for the best
A couple of drinks in the fridge comp is a nice idea and seems to be an indigo standard which is good. The third level rooms (can't remember the exact category name) at Indigo Glasgow has spirits and IIRC the suite has champagne.

I've seen a woman waltz into the lounge at CP Birmingham wearing a dressing gown and slippers. The lounge dragon promptly ejected her, she challenged it and was told rather loudly to come back when suitably dressed. Was quite amusing to watch.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Yes, I've only ever stayed at the Indigo in Birmingham, but it has the free minibar with beer, crisps and a kitkat.

Nice place too!
Indigo Birmingham have wound back their offer, now all the fridge has is 2 x still water, 2 x sparkling water and 2 x kitkats. I've stayed a lot over the last few weeks in all room types up to the top feature and feature balcony ones and all were the same. When they opened there was wine + beer, a long while back reduced to beer, now in my experience (Plat Amb) it's down to water.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by chrism20
A couple of drinks in the fridge comp is a nice idea and seems to be an indigo standard which is good. The third level rooms (can't remember the exact category name) at Indigo Glasgow has spirits and IIRC the suite has champagne.

I've seen a woman waltz into the lounge at CP Birmingham wearing a dressing gown and slippers. The lounge dragon promptly ejected her, she challenged it and was told rather loudly to come back when suitably dressed. Was quite amusing to watch.
Quite right too. Like that.

It's a club lounge curse that continues to spread. Been to CP Birmingham a few times and they are generous with the wine etc but the crowd it 'can' attract at weekends is.....interesting. Mind is the case at many CP's at weekends. If it's not airline crew on layover it's stag or hen evenings.

And I have to confess to taking my little drinks and snacks goodies bag on most evenings from various CP's.

Weird isn't it, that the lounge gatekeepers will always turn a blind eye if you look like you belong a little. In fact I have had them offer to send stuff to the room rather than hobble down the corridor with it!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:45 pm

You have received Welcome Amenity points

Any of you receiving emails saying "You have received Welcome Amenity points"?

Never seen this before (I don't look much but have been given the new tier interest) but a stop on Saturday and another today have yielded two emails‏ saying:

This email has been sent to notify you that points have been deposited into your account by Crowne Plaza London - Battersea

Member:
Member Number:
Point Deposit Type: Welcome Amenity
Points Deposited: 800

I've not checked out yet so it can't be qualifying stay points or the normal stuff. Same for the Saturday stop elsewhere.

Curious .... new for me, maybe not for you. Or is it something to do with the new tier etc? One and 3/4 hours to wait
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Atacama40
Any of you receiving emails saying "You have received Welcome Amenity points"?

Never seen this before (I don't look much but have been given the new tier interest) but a stop on Saturday and another today have yielded two emails‏ saying:

This email has been sent to notify you that points have been deposited into your account by Crowne Plaza London - Battersea

Member:
Member Number:
Point Deposit Type: Welcome Amenity
Points Deposited: 800

I've not checked out yet so it can't be qualifying stay points or the normal stuff. Same for the Saturday stop elsewhere.

Curious .... new for me, maybe not for you. Or is it something to do with the new tier etc? One and 3/4 hours to wait
I receive these every time the hotel add the welcome points rather than providing a voucher to add myself.

It's not something new but I've never seen 800 for a CP before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.