Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Acquires Kimpton

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I think Kimpton would immediately become my second-favorite IHG brand (after IC), and probably the only one other than IC I would sometimes stay at.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Well... I am hoping that the IC Ambassador and Royal Ambassador status scheme is extended to the Kimpton brand, instead of the IHG gold/platinum which doesn't give much benefit.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: BD, USAir, BA, Iberia, Hilton, IHG
Kimpton continues to run as a standalone business. This means normal booking channels for both IHG and Kimpton hotels will remain as they were before the announcement.
http://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/glob...porate/kimpton

The way I see it is they will keep the loyalty programmes separate for the time being...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by whimike
Well... I am hoping that the IC Ambassador and Royal Ambassador status scheme is extended to the Kimpton brand, instead of the IHG gold/platinum which doesn't give much benefit.
IC Ambassador and Royal Ambassador need to go away. There needs to be only one loyalty program with multiple levels for IHG. Hopefully this purchase, with a chain with another loyalty program, will push them closer to that goal.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by CalItalian
IC Ambassador and Royal Ambassador need to go away. There needs to be only one loyalty program with multiple levels for IHG. Hopefully this purchase, with a chain with another loyalty program, will push them closer to that goal.
NO! Never. Intercontinental is a special chain of hotels that should not be mixed up with HI's, HIX's and the like. If anything, change the name Kimpton to Intercontinental Boutique and apply the AMB and RA to it.

So how are the mini-bars at Kimpton hotels anyway?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:29 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by dakid23
I spent my first night as a married man in a Kimpton hotel.

The Alexis Seattle.
Ahh.....that was my very first luxury hotel I ever stayed at!

Back in 2000 (I was about 21) we used to drive up to Seattle for raves and we would always stay there! I LOVE that place!!! ^^^
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Hopefully this purchase, with a chain with another loyalty program, will push them closer to that goal.
There is absolutely no reason to believe that the integration of the Kimpton program will change anything in the policy of IHG regardings its IHG Rewards and Ambassador loyalty programs.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
If one program means XYZ being the top their, and XYZ can be had by getting a $49/year credit card, then no thanks. IC Royal Ambassador, now, can only be had by people showing true loyalty and spending lots of money at IHG and IC hotels. And, the recognition of this status is commensurate with that.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by stimpy
NO! Never. Intercontinental is a special chain of hotels that should not be mixed up with HI's, HIX's and the like. If anything, change the name Kimpton to Intercontinental Boutique and apply the AMB and RA to it.
Well there is not a "Kimpton" hotel. The names of the hotels vary with some repeated names (Like Monaco) that adhere (loosely) to a certain style. But really Kimpton is an eclectic collection of hotels and small hotel chains.

But I think you are on the right path. The Intercontinental brand and how IHG has maintained it separate from the lower service level HI and HIX's is exactly how I think Kimpton's hotels should be fit into IHG. It would allow for IHG to maintain many of the features and aspects of Kimpton hotels and the recognition and benefits of being a loyal Kimpton guest. But there will be some branding issues. Do they put "Intercontinental" into the names of each hotel, or do they let the Kimpton group of hotels be its own subclass in the luxury end of IHG's services?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
Well there is not a "Kimpton" hotel. The names of the hotels vary with some repeated names (Like Monaco) that adhere (loosely) to a certain style. But really Kimpton is an eclectic collection of hotels and small hotel chains.

But I think you are on the right path. The Intercontinental brand and how IHG has maintained it separate from the lower service level HI and HIX's is exactly how I think Kimpton's hotels should be fit into IHG. It would allow for IHG to maintain many of the features and aspects of Kimpton hotels and the recognition and benefits of being a loyal Kimpton guest. But there will be some branding issues. Do they put "Intercontinental" into the names of each hotel, or do they let the Kimpton group of hotels be its own subclass in the luxury end of IHG's services?
Not gonna happen.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:07 pm

They could simply create the "Kimpton Collection" name, such that all the hotels in the Kimpton Hotel and Restaurant Group group will be part of the Kimpton Collection.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
Kimpton is an eclectic collection of hotels
60% of hotels worldwide (except for the US where it is only 40%) do not belong to a chain.

That is why hotel groups try to attract independent hotels (same story for Autograph Collection with Marriott or MGallery with Accor) to :
- increase their market shares in a poorly consolidated market
- face competition against internet site like Booking.com (which to some extent are doing the same business as franchise hotel groups: not owning hotels but having powerful booking systems)
- meet GenY customers who are looking for more creative/less standard hotels.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by whimike
If one program means XYZ being the top their, and XYZ can be had by getting a $49/year credit card, then no thanks. IC Royal Ambassador, now, can only be had by people showing true loyalty and spending lots of money at IHG and IC hotels. And, the recognition of this status is commensurate with that.
I'm Marriott Platinum Elite as well as IHG Platinum Elite...My status means just as much, in its own way, at a Fairfield Inn as it does an Autograph Collection or Renaissance Hotel...and every Marriott brand hotel in between. There is no reason to have 3 different loyalty programs as will soon occur. My status, and I assure you that I stay at more IHG hotels in a year than you do, should be the same at all IHG brands...period...under ONE program.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Agreed: having (essentially) no status at IC's is bad enough, but to have that at two chains would be even worse. I recognize that folks who are very loyal guests at those brands deserve something, but there has to be some way to standardize it a bit chain-wide.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If they take away the exclusivity of RA, then there will be no value to RA. Same at a lesser degree for AMB. IHG please do not dumb down your excellent program to the masses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.