Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Pre-Purchase Reservation in Error / Discussion best flexible vs. adv. purchase rate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Purchase Reservation in Error / Discussion best flexible vs. adv. purchase rate

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
OP, take the 50%. Pay off the 450.00 on a credit card. Pass on Roomer.com, way too risky.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:17 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by redreeper
OP, take the 50%. Pay off the 450.00 on a credit card. Pass on Roomer.com, way too risky.
I think the OP wants to stay -- not cancel.

HTB.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by johhenrik
Once again: Calling a rate Flexible, when it is non-refundable, prepaid and don't allow modifications. Please tell me how it is Flexible? I know I am supposed to read the fine print, I know I am responsible for my own actions, I have never said anything else.
Why does it matter what they call it? It's just a marketing name. Would you be complaining if they called it "the set in concrete, most inflexible rate" and offered it with fully refundable, flexible dates etc? Once again, it is a straightforward matter to read the details and make up one's own mind as to their acceptability.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Wan1dap
Why does it matter what they call it? It's just a marketing name. Would you be complaining if they called it "the set in concrete, most inflexible rate" and offered it with fully refundable, flexible dates etc?
Yes, because I want clear and clean descriptions of each room rate type and don't want to have to dig through terms and conditions of each of those 18 different rates types to try to figure out what goes where. 'Advanced purchase' is a perfectly lovely and concise description of what to expect for that rate category; since I prefer flexibility, I normally feel like I can just skip that category altogether when looking at rates. And consistency, even in something as simple as a room category name, is part of the reason why people stick with chain hotels from city to city- they want that predictable experience.

It's perfectly normal to sort by titles and eliminate from consideration, say, anything described as a 'Spa package' that commands a premium room rate if you're a person who never uses hotel spa services.

And this kind of accurate description so double important for customers whose primary language isn't one used on IHG web sites.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Yes, because I want clear and clean descriptions of each room rate type and don't want to have to dig through terms and conditions of each of those 18 different rates types to try to figure out what goes where. 'Advanced purchase' is a perfectly lovely and concise description of what to expect for that rate category; since I prefer flexibility, I normally feel like I can just skip that category altogether when looking at rates. And consistency, even in something as simple as a room category name, is part of the reason why people stick with chain hotels from city to city- they want that predictable experience.

It's perfectly normal to sort by titles and eliminate from consideration, say, anything described as a 'Spa package' that commands a premium room rate if you're a person who never uses hotel spa services.

And this kind of accurate description so double important for customers whose primary language isn't one used on IHG web sites.
OK, tell me why "Advanced Purchase" must always mean non-refundable and could never mean refundable. It simply means you're paying in advance. Reference to the clearly available conditions will provide the actual details of the booking.

I fail to see why this is so contentious. Anyway, I'm off to start a class action against Ford for selling me a Ford Falcon. I've discovered the car doesn't actually fly. Disgusting of them to mislead the public so scurrilously.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:44 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
Why does it matter what they call it? It's just a marketing name. Would you be complaining if they called it "the set in concrete, most inflexible rate" and offered it with fully refundable, flexible dates etc? Once again, it is a straightforward matter to read the details and make up one's own mind as to their acceptability.
Generally it does matter what name is attributed to services and products, as this is expected to be a good and accurate indication of what a consumer is purchasing. We are all pretty savvy here, but even so many of us have learned to be extra vigilant because of previous mistakes made.

Organisations are obliged to market their products and services in an easily understandable manner, and not in a way that could be misleading to the general public. It would be good to remember that we on FT are not the general public when it comes to hotel reservations, as we are much more aware of the various issues that may be involved with making a booking. You are obviously very familiar with checking terms and conditions and you take responsibility for your own actions. Fair play to you, as so do I.

But protections do have to be in place to make sure that less knowledgeable, or able, consumers are not misled by organisations making bold claims that can't be substantiated. Just like Mars can't tell us that their product helps us "work, rest and play" any more, IHG needs to be very careful with their definition of "Flexible". I'm not suggesting class action etc etc, but I am suggesting that they must take responsibility for the way they market their services and products, and these should in no way be misleading if it's easily avoided.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"helps you work rest and play" was a description of a "mars bar"

There is nothing to stop them calling it a mars bar, just not making claims that cannot be substantiated

The website provides clearly details on whether a deposit is required and whether it is refundable; e.g.

•Non-Refundable Rate
•Deposit required
•Must purchase 3 days in advance

or

•FREE Cancellation until 4:00 PM local hotel time on December 15, 2014
•No deposit required

Even where a flex rate is ( as normally is ) flexible, there is still a point after which it becomes non refundable or auto cancels; there is nothing defined that states all flexible rates are flexible up to exactly the same time before arrival

Whether a frequent user of any site or an occasional one, it is up to the user to read what is being agreed to; alternatively , phone and make a booking and the agent will explain the rules

Anyway, this whole thing is just dragging the thread completely away from the OP's issue since there is nothing at all to suggest that the OP bought a bext flexible rate , just that he bought a rate requiring pre-payment
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Anyway, this whole thing is just dragging the thread completely away from the OP's issue since there is nothing at all to suggest that the OP bought a bext flexible rate , just that he bought a rate requiring pre-payment
Whilst I disagree with most of what you suggest above, this I think we do fully agree on!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:15 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
OK, tell me why "Advanced Purchase" must always mean non-refundable and could never mean refundable.
Consistency. In order to avoid setting up traps. We're not talking about a consolidator who sells rooms for all sorts of hotels. In that case it's clear that one has to check the terms for each offer. We're talking about one chain with a set of rates. And these rates should have fixed rules associated and not change for a few percent of the nights as people will perceive this as a trap they can fall into.

Just because something might (arguably) be legal, doesn't mean it's good practice or at least customer-oriented.

HTB.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by htb
Consistency. In order to avoid setting up traps. We're not talking about a consolidator who sells rooms for all sorts of hotels. In that case it's clear that one has to check the terms for each offer. We're talking about one chain with a set of rates. And these rates should have fixed rules associated and not change for a few percent of the nights as people will perceive this as a trap they can fall into.

Just because something might (arguably) be legal, doesn't mean it's good practice or at least customer-oriented.

HTB.
I really don't get this concept of a "trap". It implies some hidden agenda on the part of IHG, which of course there isn't. This attitude of "the big ugly man's out to get me" is foreign to me, luckily. Anyway we're going round in circles. I'm very happy with IHG, you're clearly not, so we'll never agree. I'm fresh off yet another superb RA upgrade to suite and club, so all's good.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In the end, OP has a CC. He can either substitute that for his DC or live off the CC. Given the time frame and interest rate dependent, this may cost him $30-40. Not the devastation to which he refers in his OP.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I really don't get this concept of a "trap". It implies some hidden agenda on the part of IHG, which of course there isn't.
I don't think it's a trap but sometimes poor attention paid to detail on IHG's end, something the seems to be plaguing an otherwise good product. To quote a tv show that likely borrowed from someone else "A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend." and there have been multiple times in the past year when the terms and conditions of something important to the IHG program lack a high level of detail and leave people making an educated guess on what counts as qualifying, since IHG's customer service is frequently not on the same page either.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
This is a bit of a key point. We don't know what rate the OP bought.

One of the tricks I have found on the IHG site is that it can lump together Best Flexible and Deals. The Deals usually require some sort of deposit, but all this is disclosed on the booking page. In my experience, any prepay requirement is pretty clear on the site.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:17 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Since the discussion in this thread drifted into a direction of rate descriptions and definitons I have edited the thread title to reflect it.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG FOrum
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
OK, tell me why "Advanced Purchase" must always mean non-refundable and could never mean refundable. It simply means you're paying in advance. Reference to the clearly available conditions will provide the actual details of the booking.

I fail to see why this is so contentious. Anyway, I'm off to start a class action against Ford for selling me a Ford Falcon. I've discovered the car doesn't actually fly. Disgusting of them to mislead the public so scurrilously.
That's your comparison? Let's try this one instead: 2014 Ford Escape 4WD 4dr SE. Would it be ok if they sold it with 2 wheel drive and 2 doors, as long as it is explained somewhere, but still name it 4WD and 4dr?

Anyways, I've made my position clear hear. I have my view on how a company should operate and market their products, you have your view that they can do whatever, it is always the customers responsibility. I guess we can just agree to disagree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.