Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Pre-Purchase Reservation in Error / Discussion best flexible vs. adv. purchase rate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Purchase Reservation in Error / Discussion best flexible vs. adv. purchase rate

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Any chance that you have a CC? You may find the property willing to charge the CC and refund the DC. That will mean making a minimum payment for each of the next few months and accumulating some interest, but at least you will have the $900 for immediate expenses.
That's a pretty good idea.

Failing that try speaking with the GM, emphasise the time between now and the actual reservation and that you think the 50% is a bit excessive - perhaps 75% would be more agreeable. Might not work but they are willing to be reasonably flexible in the first place so thy might see it as they get 25% for doing nothing. Either way I'd get the refund for whatever they are offering done ASAP before they change their mind and say they don't have enough time to resell the room.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by htb
I'm glad I could make you laugh. As for how justified that is depends on how many people actually fall for "Best Flexible Rate" which is fully unflexible. Just up now (Guangzhou, 9/2):

If enough people fall for it, it's misleading. I almost fell for it a couple of times (being used to booking flexible "Best Flexible Rates", so I can imagine that others go all the way. But we had this discussion before and some people here seem to find it fully acceptable to call a rate "Best flexible rate", even though it's not.

As of now we don't know what the OP has actually booked, so it's a moot point to discuss if he is a victim of deceptive advertisement or just a victim of momentary absent-mindedness.

HTB.
"Best Flexible" does not automatically mean "fully refundable". I came across it yesterday with non-refundable conditions, but was able to identify the fact by reading the details. Simple really.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:20 pm

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
Why should one book a hotel for such an expensive rate if he can't afford his own living? Either this is a troll or a perfect example how f****d up the American economy is if everything solely depends on credit cards.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I can think of plenty of reasons why someone wouldn't have the cash on hand now, but would have more than ample means to pay 8 weeks from now. Heck, I've had multiple jobs where my first paycheck didn't show up until 5-6 weeks after my start date. (monthly check plus lag time)
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fqtv_kraven
Why should one book a hotel for such an expensive rate if he can't afford his own living? Either this is a troll or a perfect example how f****d up the American economy is if everything solely depends on credit cards.
Not really. If the OP intended to book a hotel on a rate which would only be charged for at check out time and would have the money at that time, then there would be no reliance on use of credit

Any chance that you have a CC? You may find the property willing to charge the CC and refund the DC. That will mean making a minimum payment for each of the next few months and accumulating some interest, but at least you will have the $900 for immediate expenses.
If having a credit card, could just put upcoming expenses on the credit card rather than switch. With the purchases spread out between now and end december ,there would be less interest likely accrued than there would by changing the card made for the booking

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 28, 2014 at 3:26 pm
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
I don't understand how a flexible rate can be non refundable??? Where's the flex?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not really. If the OP intended to book a hotel on a rate which would only be charged for at check out time and would have the money at that time, then there would be no reliance on use of credit

If havign a credit card, could just put upcoming expenses on the credit card rathe than switch. With the purchases spread out between now and end december ,there would be less interest likely accrued than there would by changing the card made for the booking
Why not do that? Even if you take a cash advance for $900 and have a 10% card, that only works out to $30 over 90 days (and you have less than that until your scheduled stay).

For $30, I would let this go because it's not going to change and you aren't seriously going to suffer financially.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:29 pm

Why not do that? Even if you take a cash advance for $900 and have a 10% card, that only works out to $30 over 90 days (and you have less than that until your scheduled stay).

For $30, I would let this go because it's not going to change and you aren't seriously going to suffer financially.
If the OP does not have a credit card , then I would suggest he speaks to his bank and see whether an overdraft facility of $900 can be arranged , which again is likely not to cause a huge amount of interest to be incurred
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Susiew237
I don't understand how a flexible rate can be non refundable??? Where's the flex?
Sometimes the cancelation period is longer than normal, for example 72hrs and the money is taken at -72hrs arrival. This I can understand and it is the best flex rate a hotel offers albeit with slightly limited flexibility. If it is pay at the time of booking and non-refundable it really should be called advance purchase IMO.

Here in the UK the low end budget chain Travelodge takes payment for flexible reservations at the time of booking but you can still cancel or amend until around lunchtime on the day of arrival and the money is refunded. You cannot book and guarantee with a card paying on arrival.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Susiew237
The flexibility is in the dates. The hotel told him he could change the dates. So, if he can't make it for the time that he booked, he can go another time instead.

"Flexible" and "refundable" aren't the same thing.

Having said that, he is neither looking for a change of dates or a refund; he is looking to pay later instead of now. I agree with the suggestions of others; use a credit card and make minimum payments (or more, if you can afford it). Credit cards are generally horrible ways to borrow money, but $900 over a few months won't accrue much interest. The whole thing will probably cost you $20 or $30 in total, which is probably close to what you saved by booking the pre-paid rate rather than the pay-after-staying rate.

Just be sure to make the minumum payments on time -- the late payment penalties hurt a lot more than interest.

I'm not sure what to say here. It's unfortunate, but, at the same time, it was the OP's error. It would be nice if the hotel chain had better customer service to deal with things like this. A 24-hour rule (similar to what airlines have) would be nice. I made use of this once on an airline (I accidentally booked a ticket for the right day of the wrong month... whoops!)
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
A 24-hour rule (similar to what airlines have) would be nice. I made use of this once on an airline (I accidentally booked a ticket for the right day of the wrong month... whoops!)
Even if they did have this, it would have made no difference for this situation given that it was a few days after booking that the issue was spotted
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the OP does not have a credit card , then I would suggest he speaks to his bank and see whether an overdraft facility of $900 can be arranged , which again is likely not to cause a huge amount of interest to be incurred
I agree; I think this is the most sensible course of action and good, sound advice.

If the OP doesn't have a credit card and is also unable to obtain any kind of overdraft or bank loan facility, then even a carefully-chosen short-term loan provider might be an option in this instance. (Ensuring that you can 100% definitely and unfailingly meet the repayments, or course!). Or Possibly taking a longer loan period but with no early repayment penalties, thus making the next 2 months' repayments much less, and then being able to pay it all off come December payday.

Failing all the above then I suppose the only viable option is to take the $450 refund and put the $450 loss down to the experience. Painful, I know, but 50% better than a $900 loss to your living expenses.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:48 am

I've never used this service and don't know if it would work in this situation but read about this site to sell hotel rooms that seems legit: https://www.roomertravel.com/
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:36 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The flexibility is in the dates. The hotel told him he could change the dates. So, if he can't make it for the time that he booked, he can go another time instead.

"Flexible" and "refundable" aren't the same thing.
Excellent point. Let's compare the conditions for "Advance Purchase" and "Best Flexible" on IHG.com:

Best Flexible Rate
‎ Non-Refundable Rate
Deposit required
Most popular rate
Advance Purchase
Non-Refundable Rate
Deposit required
Must purchase 5 days in advance
You have to click further to learn that "Changes to your reservation are usually acceptable" with the "Best Flexible Rate", whatever "usually" means...

I don't think it should be so difficult to simply have Rate types that don't change their conditions as it seems fit for the hotel. Simply don't offer "Best Flexible Rate" when you want to have a deposit and cancellation fees. Just call it "Advance Purchase Flex" if you want to be perceived as a reputable(*) company.

HTB.

(*) Reputable companies don't set up traps and wait for customers to fall into them, only to then say that they could have read the small print.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Considering how many emails I have received from IHG where they talk about Best Flexible means fully flexible and refundable, even I have almost booked it not noticing how some dates are actually prepaid and non-refundable. I think it stinks to be honest that they are allowed to do that. Yes, it is my responsibility to check, but I still think it is misleading and very easy to make the mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.