FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pre-Purchase Reservation in Error / Discussion best flexible vs. adv. purchase rate
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:40 pm
beachmouse

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Wan1dap
Why does it matter what they call it? It's just a marketing name. Would you be complaining if they called it "the set in concrete, most inflexible rate" and offered it with fully refundable, flexible dates etc?
Yes, because I want clear and clean descriptions of each room rate type and don't want to have to dig through terms and conditions of each of those 18 different rates types to try to figure out what goes where. 'Advanced purchase' is a perfectly lovely and concise description of what to expect for that rate category; since I prefer flexibility, I normally feel like I can just skip that category altogether when looking at rates. And consistency, even in something as simple as a room category name, is part of the reason why people stick with chain hotels from city to city- they want that predictable experience.

It's perfectly normal to sort by titles and eliminate from consideration, say, anything described as a 'Spa package' that commands a premium room rate if you're a person who never uses hotel spa services.

And this kind of accurate description so double important for customers whose primary language isn't one used on IHG web sites.