Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ambassador Renewal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by paulmoscow
The IHG Club is a totally uncompetitive program. I was going to drop my Ambassador status too, but finally decided to renew it for 19K points.

Usually I stay at IHG hotels for occasional reward nights (e.g. in New York during New Year's eve) or using a BOGO (which quite often is not cost-efficient now.)

Why would I want to spend money at this hotel chain which provides almost zero benefits for its "elites?"
Originally Posted by paulmoscow
I couldn't care less about China. Platinum treatment in the States and Europe is quite often pathetic. Actually IME, thanks to a "standardisation" the situation has worsened during the last year.

As for Ambassador status, it gives us exactly a one-level upgrade and 4pm check-out. I've stopped chasing RA long ago because of their opaque requirements.

The IHG program is the most competitive left of all the big chains in terms of

- collecting a maximum number of points in combination with promotions and bonus points rates for a one room stay, without need to use a credit card of the group
- spending the points for reward nights in their luxury hotels (ICs) for reasonable reward rates of 50.000 IHG points plus cash&point rates 40.000/45.000

The upgrading policy (Germany, Austria, France) is meanwhile compared to the time before "standardization" not worse than Hilton´s or Marriott´s. I get suite upgrades in HIs, best rooms on highest floors in HIXs, better rooms in CPs (and one category Ambassador ugrades in ICs as before). Staying more than one time in the same hotel increases the chance to get good upgrades. No other experiences I had as HH Dmd and Marriott Gold.

Comp breakfast is not given. Lounge access in CPs (as Plat) and ICs (as Amb) I haven´t got so far, but do not need on business trips. I usually arrive between 22:00 and 24:00 in the hotel, leave at 07:00am for meetings, too early for me to have full buffet breakfast. I miss these benefits more on holiday trips, and would accept higher requirements (e.g. more stays, higher fee for Amb status) for platinum level or a level above if those benefits would be given, and stop going for HH Gold instead.

I agree that Amb BOGO rates meanwhile have got expensive, so that the saving effect is no more a one night standard rate, but less. The change in the IC earning style (Europe) to points per US-$ increases the chance I will stay more often in ICs.

HHonors program IME got most devaluated, with its high redemption rates in luxury hotels and/or luxury locations (80.000 points or more for standard rooms, forget about "low season rates", I nearly never find them, and also not their points&money rewards), and makes less sense for me, has on top a low coverage in Continental Europe, running hotels more and more only in places visited by US guests frequently. Points earning is very difficult, except you book two rooms and earn for them.

Accor, as much as I like their coverage in Europe, and their french style of luxury, has the worst earning/spending ratio. Even with promotions (if you find them, promised but not available) you will get nowhere.

SPG has high value properties in nicest places but you need to book three rooms including promotions as Platinum or better 75 nights Platinum to get after a reasonable no. of stays some nights free in their best hotels.

Marriott would be the only alternative left for me of the big chains if something happens to IHG (Takeover by SPG?). Around same earning system as Hilton HHonors but less points needed for redemption (IHG like), more cash and points rewards available, good coverage of all kind of hotel classes midscale to luxury in Europe for business and leisure, comp breakfast and lounge access as Gold Elite.

Take a look at LHW and slh programs. They give you free night certificates after 4/5 stays, comp breakfast and upgrades. Partly reasonable rates, very good hotels.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Thanks. I called Ambassador service desk tonight and the agent told me I need to give between 6-8 weeks time for the rebate to post (from date of checkout). I will bump when the points hit.
I waited a full 8 weeks and had to call AMB customer service - they manually posted the 10% AMB points rebate for me.

I hope this isn't the normal process for all my award stay point rebates.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Brendan
Oh-so-thank-U, Scubaccr #3! I barely earned Gold in 2013 for 2014, but I bought (new) Ambassador in Dec. 2013 innocently--not knowing this! I was pleasantly surprised to see my Platinum status renewed for 2014.
Also, this thread is the first I've heard of the 10% rebate on points spent by Ambassadors. But I did know of & get the other 10% when I had the PC Visa. Are y'all sure these 2 are stackable--one can get both, not just one or the other?
I can confirm they are definitely stackable. A 10% PC credit card (US cardholders to be specific, not sure others) and a separate 10% AMB credit.

In my opinion the $200 yearly renewal is a decent option. 15,000 pts deposit is easily $100 value, and rebating another 15,000 (for 150,000 redeemed) covers the rest.

And that's before considering any benefits of the status for staying at IC properties.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:54 am
alc

I waited a full 8 weeks and had to call AMB customer service - they manually posted the 10% AMB points rebate for me.

it happened to me 2 years in a rows that the 10% never posted automatically. I am going to renew my membership again with the $200 later this month, hopefully they finally fixed this issue so I do not need to email them every time after a reward stay.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: SQ S, IHG Diamond/Amb, Accor S

The last time my rebate posted automatically was in December 2013, just a few days after the stay. Since then no more automatic posts, need to contact AMB Services to get the rebate.

By the way, to me they wrote "We would like to take this opportunity to inform you that rebated points are automatically deposited to accounts approximately four (4) to six (6) weeks after the Rewards Night stay."

NOT!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:47 pm

Can someone clarify the expiration of the free night for me? I purchased AMB status in mid-May 2014. The IHG website says my status expires June 2015... does that mean June 30th? This is important to me because I have 5 nights at an IC property at the end of June 2015, and I don't really want to renew if I don't have to.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Can someone clarify the expiration of the free night for me? I purchased AMB status in mid-May 2014. The IHG website says my status expires June 2015... does that mean June 30th? This is important to me because I have 5 nights at an IC property at the end of June 2015, and I don't really want to renew if I don't have to.
Yes it does.

I had a similar issue and they clarified that it was the end of the stated month - in fact they told me that they would honour a month beyond if you had renewed but I wouldn't chance that to luck and if I was in that position would get it in writing from the Hotel I was booking with in advance.

Anyway go ahead and make your booking
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:50 am

Sorry about my lame question but I'm new to this thing.

Currently IHG Gold and just purchased a few days ago IC Ambassador status (= Gold Ambassador) exp. Jan 2016.
Will most definitely make it to IHG Platinum in 2015 (and will keep it for 2016 as well).
I am, however, unlikely to confirm this status in 2016 (nor even Gold).

How could I get IHG Platinum for 2017, though? Renew Amb in Dec 2015 and Dec 2016? Or skip Amb for 2016 (still IHG Platinum) and buy it again in Dec 2016 before I lose Plat status?

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by wadmak
How could I get IHG Platinum for 2017, though? Renew Amb in Dec 2015 and Dec 2016? Or skip Amb for 2016 (still IHG Platinum) and buy it again in Dec 2016 before I lose Plat status?
If you're in the USA, the IHG-branded credit card through Chase currently gives Platinum status. (IMO, it's one of the better affinity credit cards in terms of bang for annual fee buck.)

If you've got more than 50 nights in a calendar year, those are now supposed to roll over for the following year, giving you a jump start on keeping status in a low travel year.

If you use a room rate with a bonus point package, I want to say they're qualifying points.

If you're in a more time than money period of your life, e-Rewards survey points have posted as qualifying points in 2013 and 2014 (never a guarantee going forward, but seems likely). Same goes for the 750 points a year you can pick up with e-miles.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Ambassadors buying part way through a year , are given Gold minimum, or Platinum if Platinum at time amb is purchased.

Then
a)If during year you reflag from Gold->Plat you get upgraded to Plat Amb
b)If Plat Amb, and you do not requal by nights/points by 31Decyyyy then you luckily keep Plat until Amb status runs out

In fact it is worthwhile for an IHG Plat who knows they will not requalify as Platinum, without multiple mattress run nights, instead buying Ambassador mid December as they then get 12 1/2 months Platinum (Ambassador) for 150/200 USD instead of losing plat 2weeks later on Jan 1st. And is way cheaper than 4+ MR nights.
This is very good to know, thanks! I'm currently Plat but will not requalify for 2015. So if I buy Ambassador now, I will be Plat Amb in 2015? Can somebody confirm if this is still a valid way to keep Plat?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Epicura
This is very good to know, thanks! I'm currently Plat but will not requalify for 2015. So if I buy Ambassador now, I will be Plat Amb in 2015? Can somebody confirm if this is still a valid way to keep Plat?
I'm also interested in the answer to this question.

Has anyone else tried this ?

Thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:18 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Was it ever? Ambassador status and IHG status are separate for all I know.

HTB.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:47 am
uk1
Suspended

The way I believe it works - but have no first hand knowledge - is that they are independent and when you buy Ambassador you get Gold, so when the Plat expires during the Ambassador membership year the Plat reverts to Gold.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by yann
I'm also interested in the answer to this question.
Has anyone else tried this ?
Thanks.
Won't work for you now, as you are already in 2015 and have already lost your Platinum status.

You needed to purchase Ambassador mid December whilst you were still Platinum Elite.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Renewed mine by phone for $200, the online renewal form did not want to accept my Canadian postal code, tried both browsers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.