Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trouble747
OK, this seems weird: My partner, in his infinite wisdom, just received his first chase anniversary free night and promptly misread the terms as requiring him to use the free night within the next week (and not year).

Without running this past me first (naturally) he immediately booked our local IC for tomorrow night. After he told me what he had done I pointed out how little sense this made and that he had a year to use it. Because the confirmation email stated he could lose the free night if he canceled, he called ambassador rewards.

He was told that he could *not* change the specific hotel, only the night of the reservation. In turn, he moved it to a date next year.

Does this sound plausible, or did he just get someone who doesn't know what they're talking about?
Unless the policy has changed in the past 4 months (and it most certainly could have), you can make and cancel reservations using the annual free night cert's and they will go right back into your account, assuming you've met the cancelation terms.

Perhaps the reservation was within the hotel's cancelation deadline?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by 54austin
Unless the policy has changed in the past 4 months (and it most certainly could have), you can make and cancel reservations using the annual free night cert's and they will go right back into your account, assuming you've met the cancelation terms.

Perhaps the reservation was within the hotel's cancelation deadline?
That's entirely possible; the reservation was made today (Thursday) for check-in tomorrow on Friday. I wonder if that could result in some limitation locking him into this particular hotel?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
In the past I have cancelled a free night reservation, and then used it later at a different hotel in a different country, without any problems. Either the person you spoke to got it wrong, or as 54austin suggests, it has something to do with the specific cancellation policy of the hotel.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:40 am

That's entirely possible; the reservation was made today (Thursday) for check-in tomorrow on Friday. I wonder if that could result in some limitation locking him into this particular hotel?
Hmmm...re-read your original post. If the reservation is on the wrong side of the hotel's cancellation policy, I'd imagine the date couldn't be changed either. Have you tried to change the location and/or outright cancel via ihg.com? Maybe you should try that. If it entirely invalidates the certificate, it should make that clear at some point.

Honestly, I'm not sure about this, so perhaps you just want to keep the later reservation you have. Maybe HUACA is your safest bet.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by 54austin
Hmmm...re-read your original post. If the reservation is on the wrong side of the hotel's cancellation policy, I'd imagine the date couldn't be changed either. Have you tried to change the location and/or outright cancel via ihg.com? Maybe you should try that. If it entirely invalidates the certificate, it should make that clear at some point.

Honestly, I'm not sure about this, so perhaps you just want to keep the later reservation you have. Maybe HUACA is your safest bet.
Looking up a few dummy reservations, it definitely seems like the hotel's cancellation policy (on points stays, at least) extends about 48 hours before the night booked.

But I agree, it seems like the date shouldn't have been able to be changed, either. I hesitate to try canceling from the website because I'm afraid it would just forfeit the free night without warning.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:50 am

Looking up a few dummy reservations, it definitely seems like the hotel's cancellation policy (on points stays, at least) extends about 48 hours before the night booked.

But I agree, it seems like the date shouldn't have been able to be changed, either. I hesitate to try canceling from the website because I'm afraid it would just forfeit the free night without warning.
Hang up and call again. The worst that can happen is that the agent confirms. At least they will warn you if you will lose the free night altogether.

It was a free night to begin with so think of it as an unfortunate (and first-world!) lesson that hopefully your partner will learn. I know if mine did that I'd be P-O'd, but eventually get over it since I should've known that he would not have known.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: UNITED 1P
Just had some interesting thing happen to my acct with the Chase free night. I had to spend hours and hours on the phone to get this sorted out. So hopefully my expereicne will help someone.

Last year in October I stayed at IC Tokyo Strings on chase free nights. One was on my acct and one was on y bf's acct. All was good when I checked out.

However, it seems like IC didn't bill for the free night months later. So the system thought that I had used the chase free night for 2014 when I in fact stayed in 2013.

It happened to both of our acct.

Then it took forever to be sorted ad get our 2014 chase free nights back.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nanirina
Just had some interesting thing happen to my acct with the Chase free night. I had to spend hours and hours on the phone to get this sorted out. So hopefully my expereicne will help someone.

Last year in October I stayed at IC Tokyo Strings on chase free nights. One was on my acct and one was on y bf's acct. All was good when I checked out.

However, it seems like IC didn't bill for the free night months later. So the system thought that I had used the chase free night for 2014 when I in fact stayed in 2013.

It happened to both of our acct.

Then it took forever to be sorted ad get our 2014 chase free nights back.
In 2012 HI Torino billed me 5 months after we stayed there using a free night cert. It took a lot of back and forth to get the hotel refund the $ charged. IHG at first essentially told me to pound sand. Eventually it was the Guest Relationship dept that reluctantly stepped in to help sorting this out. Chase charge back on the dispute filed probably helped to speed up the process.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:48 pm

My wife has a Chase free night. Can I use for a solo stay? I know that it's supposed to be not transferable but what if she books a room for 2 in her name and then informs the hotel that I would check in? Does this work?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by leonidas
My wife has a Chase free night. Can I use for a solo stay? I know that it's supposed to be not transferable but what if she books a room for 2 in her name and then informs the hotel that I would check in? Does this work?
From what I have read on blogs, so long as you are an "additional guest" on the reservation (which is a field when you make the reservation via ihg.com), you can check-in. From personal experience at the Intercon Singapore (where I was the aforementioned), they did not skip a beat at check-in. That you a share a last name, presumably, helps.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: United Premier Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by wholeinone04
Does the cert expire 1 year after you get it? If so, can I book a reservation (before the expiration date) that will land a few months after the expiration?
I see this question a few months ago but no answer. I have the same situation, cert that expires in two weeks that I won't be able to use until early February. Anyone have any insight into whether I can use the certificate for a stay dated after the cert expiry?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, A3*G, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Lufthansa Frequent Traveller
My free night expires mid May but was able to book IC HKG for one night in June online.
Should I be worried that the certificate will expire in June revoking my free night?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, A3*G, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Lufthansa Frequent Traveller
Originally Posted by qmiles321
My free night expires mid May but was able to book IC HKG for one night in June online.
Should I be worried that the certificate will expire in June revoking my free night?

Received the following email from IHG representative:

Dear qmiles321,

Thank you for responding promptly to IHGCare about our Twitter invite. We appreciate the opportunity to assist.

Upon further verification of your query, IHG Rewards Club advised that any reservation/s using the Chase Free Night is good to go even after the date of registration (May). Meanwhile, if you'd like to modify anything you have to do that on or before 22May15.

Again, thanks for contacting us and safe travels for 2015!

Best Regards,

eMedia Coordinator
IHGCare

Btw, May 22 is the expiration date of my free night.
With this being clarified I'll get to use 4 certificates (my 2 and my wifes) for 4 nights at IC HKG in June!

Last edited by qmiles321; Jan 10, 2015 at 11:24 pm
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:09 am
Suspended

Received the following email from IHG representative:

Dear qmiles321,

Thank you for responding promptly to IHGCare about our Twitter invite. We appreciate the opportunity to assist.

Upon further verification of your query, IHG Rewards Club advised that any reservation/s using the Chase Free Night is good to go even after the date of registration (May). Meanwhile, if you'd like to modify anything you have to do that on or before 22May15.

Again, thanks for contacting us and safe travels for 2015!

Best Regards,

eMedia Coordinator
IHGCare

Btw, May 22 is the expiration date of my free night.
With this being clarified I'll get to use 4 certificates (my 2 and my wifes) for 4 nights at IC HKG in June!

That is correct as I had related in earlier posts #518 & #523.

It will be interesting to see if this same circumstance obtains with respect to the ITN certificates.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 6:47 am

I've updated the wiki to add discussion of this recurring question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.