Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:59 pm

When you book the free night can you put another persons name on the reservation like you can with point stays ?

My dad doesn't travel and I have used his points by putting my name on the reservation with no problems.

I would keep this card if I could use his free night, has anyone done this ?

Thanks
Old May 1, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: Far too many
Originally Posted by flyer4512
When you book the free night can you put another persons name on the reservation like you can with point stays ?

My dad doesn't travel and I have used his points by putting my name on the reservation with no problems.

Thanks
IHG allows the accountholder to add a name to the reservation. The accountholder stays on the reservation. In the US at least, this allows the additional guest to check in & out.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:16 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
as a data-point:
I recently redeemed my chase free night on the day it expired (the last day possible to use it)
To my surprise when I logged into my account the next anniversary free night had also appeared. So I was able to redeem both free nights at once for a free 2 night stay. So far so good, I have a confirmation but haven't stayed yet.

It's worth noting, as others have, that if you cancel the free night that expired you don't get it back.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hcampana
as a data-point:

I recently redeemed my chase free night on the day it expired (the last day possible to use it)

To my surprise when I logged into my account the next anniversary free night had also appeared. So I was able to redeem both free nights at once for a free 2 night stay. So far so good, I have a confirmation but haven't stayed yet.

FWIW, my new Chase IHG free night hit my account approximately 1 week before the old one expires.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24693494-post609.html
Old May 31, 2015, 2:38 am

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
My wife and I both have Chase Free night certificate. We're trying to book the free night online for an expensive hotel such as InterContinental or Crowne Plaza. But I found nothing in big cities such as NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, DC, even Toronto.
All I found are cheaper Holiday Inns. I thought the Annual Free nights cert is for any IGH hotel. What is going on? Is it just me or what?
Old May 31, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by echip
My wife and I both have Chase Free night certificate. We're trying to book the free night online for an expensive hotel such as InterContinental or Crowne Plaza. But I found nothing in big cities such as NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, DC, even Toronto.
All I found are cheaper Holiday Inns. I thought the Annual Free nights cert is for any IGH hotel. What is going on? Is it just me or what?
Just call up IHG at +18882117996, press 1 for award night reservations, tell the representative you have a Chase Free Night, and ask them to look for availability at the hotel you want. In past two years I've booked IC Hong Kong (one of the most expensive hotels in the system), and IC São Paulo without any difficulty. The representatives seem anxious to please.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: United: 1K, BA: Silver, IHG: Plat, Hyatt: Plat, Marriott: Gold, SPG: Gold, Avis: Chairman
I had three free night certs (2 from ITTN promo and 1 from chase card). I just went to book them, but I no longer have the 'Free Night Status' option showing in my account :-( Anyone else experiencing this?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by travellermatt
I had three free night certs (2 from ITTN promo and 1 from chase card). I just went to book them, but I no longer have the 'Free Night Status' option showing in my account :-( Anyone else experiencing this?
My link isn't showing up anymore either!

EDIT: User in another thread suggested changing the site language. I changed from English to Spanish and the free night link appeared. Changed it back to English and the free night status link is still there!

Last edited by hazzardgal; Jun 3, 2015 at 7:19 pm
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: United: 1K, BA: Silver, IHG: Plat, Hyatt: Plat, Marriott: Gold, SPG: Gold, Avis: Chairman
Originally Posted by hazzardgal

EDIT: User in another thread suggested changing the site language. I changed from English to Spanish and the free night link appeared. Changed it back to English and the free night status link is still there!
That is genius! Worked for me too! How do people work these things out...! Lol. ^^^^^

EDIT: On testing... the link is now there, but it doesn't do anything, just takes me back to the account page. If I leave the site in Spanish, then the free night page loads.... weird!

EDIT 2: Putting the site into Country = UK and then English language.... the link shows up AND works ;-)
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by hazzardgal

Thank you - worked for me too! ^^^^
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
I was unable to see my free night either (for mine or my husbands account). Changing the language to Spanish did not fix it but changing my country to UK did. I was on the phone with IHG forever and they could not tell me how to get them to display with expiration dates. The CSR told me that it had been removed from the site. She just didn't know how in the world to fix it. After I got it figured out (from reading this thread), I told her that they need to fix it otherwise no one in the US will see their free night. Also, my award wallet is not picking it up, even after I changed the country.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Carter29072
I was unable to see my free night either (for mine or my husbands account). Changing the language to Spanish did not fix it but changing my country to UK did. I was on the phone with IHG forever and they could not tell me how to get them to display with expiration dates. The CSR told me that it had been removed from the site. She just didn't know how in the world to fix it. After I got it figured out (from reading this thread), I told her that they need to fix it otherwise no one in the US will see their free night. Also, my award wallet is not picking it up, even after I changed the country.
Unbelievable! Is their tech dept run by high schoolers?! The UK trick worked for me too. Otherwise the link doesn't show. Ridiculous.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512

Thanks
Originally Posted by travel light
IHG allows the accountholder to add a name to the reservation. The accountholder stays on the reservation. In the US at least, this allows the additional guest to check in & out.
Just an FYI , my 2nd free annual night cert posted today ( account anniversary 6/19) and there was NOT a place to add another persons name ( that can check in) like there is when you book using points.

Maybe you can call and add a name
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:36 pm

Switching to the UK isn't working for me...How do I redeem my 5 free night certs?!?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: United 1P
Can I extend the expiration date on the Free Night Cert from the credit card and the free night from Into-the-night promotion? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.