Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Spoke to IHG Amb services today AND IHG Rewards Center and they both indicate that you only have to book your reservation by the expiration date. I booked my reservation for Feb 2014 for my cert that expires Oct 2013.

Standard warning that after Oct 2013 if I change/cancel I lose my cert, makes sense.

They also opened a case and will have someone from IHG email me a confirmation so I have it in writing, but I took the CSR name and case number down.
Interested in knowing how your experiment turned out. Did you complete the stay without being charged even though you certificate was expired?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by fivegirls
I just stumbled upon something interesting. I was viewing my free night certificate reservation, and I selected "Duplicate Reservation". Upon selecting a new date, I was given a drastically reduced rate ($25). Under "View Rates" there was the category "Chase Anniversary Free Night" for the rate of $25, followed by all the usual rates. Note that I was not changing my current reservation, just duplicating the reservation for another night. Has anyone else noticed this?
i'm getting the same thing as well....did you go through with the booking????it gives me the following error when i try:

OfferCode is required to book Special Nights.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Keyser
i'm getting the same thing as well....did you go through with the booking????it gives me the following error when i try:
I just followed through and got the same error. Sorry to get anyone's hopes up!
Old May 1, 2014, 12:04 pm

So even if IHG shows my reservation as "FREE", I might end up being charged for it?! My cert expires on June 4, but my reservation is for June 7. I guess I need to call the hotel and verify that it is OK? I am only using it for the Holiday Inn Express, Portland NW, as there is no upscale IHG in Portland.
Old May 1, 2014, 12:54 pm

I'm having trouble booking a stay with my free night. I want to stay 2 nights at IC Clement Monterey, Fri 6/13-Sun 6/15. My plan is to use AAA rate for 1st night, Chase free night for 2nd night, or the other way around (doesn't matter). The issue is that this hotel won't let you book for 1 night only if checking in on Saturday. So even though this is technically a 2-night stay from Fri-Sat, it would have to be booked as 2 separate reservations of 1 night each.
Old May 1, 2014, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Keyser
That is the amount the hotel is being reimbursed by IHG for your free night.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:08 am

can you cancel reservation booked with the FREE NIGHT you earned with $49 fee you paid for the card? I mean can you cancel that type of reservation and get it back for later use?
Old May 2, 2014, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
can you cancel reservation booked with the FREE NIGHT you earned with $49 fee you paid for the card? I mean can you cancel that type of reservation and get it back for later use?
Yes. Canceled certs go back into your account and are available immediately for re-use. (Did this just last week.)
Old May 2, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by elabut
So even if IHG shows my reservation as "FREE", I might end up being charged for it?! My cert expires on June 4, but my reservation is for June 7. I guess I need to call the hotel and verify that it is OK? I am only using it for the Holiday Inn Express, Portland NW, as there is no upscale IHG in Portland.
Don't call if you haven't already. The chances of it happening are slim, and I honestly don't see how this charge would stand in a credit card dispute when they give you a clear email confirmation of your FREE stay. Here are the screenshots of the booking confirmation in my blog (note that one of my certificates expired in April). How could a credit card company not side up with you even if there was a problem down the road?

Turn Your IHG Free Annual Night into… Two IHG Free Annual Nights!
Old May 2, 2014, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mnscout
Don't call if you haven't already. The chances of it happening are slim, and I honestly don't see how this charge would stand in a credit card dispute when they give you a clear email confirmation of your FREE stay. Here are the screenshots of the booking confirmation in my blog (note that one of my certificates expired in April). How could a credit card company not side up with you even if there was a problem down the road?

Turn Your IHG Free Annual Night into… Two IHG Free Annual Nights!
I'm waiting to see what happens to you on 5/17 at the Willard.
Old May 2, 2014, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by elabut
Calling the hotel won't help. Your cert expires 6/4 so you're out of luck. Call IHG and ask them. Maybe you can sweet talk them into an extension.

Last edited by philemer; May 2, 2014 at 7:29 pm
Old May 2, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
Calling the hotel won't help. Your cert expires 6/4 so you're out of luck. Call IHG and ask them. Maybe you can sweet talk them into an extension.
Why? If they let him book a night with an expired/expiring certificate, and it shows as free, it already means they have been "sweet-talked" into an extension.
Old May 7, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Hoping someone can help. I've managed to lose or misplace my email with the ecertificate number. I sent an email to Chase, but with a different program they said "sorry", so I'm not holding out my hope. Can anyone please post exactly the subject and email address of the email? I have about 19,000 emails in my inbox and I honestly can only narrow it down to a 3-4 month window, which means there's probably 3,000 emails to wade through. Normal search cant find the damn thing.

Thanks!
Old May 7, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
Hoping someone can help. I've managed to lose or misplace my email with the ecertificate number. I sent an email to Chase, but with a different program they said "sorry", so I'm not holding out my hope. Can anyone please post exactly the subject and email address of the email? I have about 19,000 emails in my inbox and I honestly can only narrow it down to a 3-4 month window, which means there's probably 3,000 emails to wade through. Normal search cant find the damn thing.

Thanks!
If you are referring to the free night you get yearly with the IHG Chase CC, there is no certificate #. The email is simply to inform your that you have earned your free night. You can find the status of your free night by logging into your IHG account. From the menu on the left, select "free night status". This link will show your status and give the link to book your free night.
Old May 13, 2014, 1:14 pm

Is the "chase cc free night" availability the same as the availability of "reward night" by points? If so, I plan to book with points first in order to assure that I can book with annual certificate when I receive it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.