Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Best rewards route from Mexico (anywhere) to Europe? (Except Spain and Italy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best rewards route from Mexico (anywhere) to Europe? (Except Spain and Italy)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2024, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by AAdvanadium
Have you been to Paris recently? Worth it to do a layover there for a day or two to explore, you think? (Recently people have been telling me it's gotten stinky and more dangerous, I haven't been in a few years).
Have not been to Paris in more than a decade, so cannot say what it's like these days. But friends went last September and had a good time.

Good luck with the travel planning!
SPN Lifer and AAdvanadium like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Have not been to Paris in more than a decade, so cannot say what it's like these days. But friends went last September and had a good time.

Good luck with the travel planning!
Thank you! Though looks like I ran into a problem - I was about to book the CUN-CDG-WAW flight, but when I logged in to the UR portal to transfer points to Flying Blue / Air France, there's no option to transfer those point out.

I have an Ink Cash card, and two Ink Business Unlimited cards.

I called and the Chase rep said only the Chase Sapphire card would let me transfer UR points outside of Chase, it seems like... so looks like using UR points isn't an option... I wish Chase would've made it easier to use those points

Looking like the best option now is CUN-FRA (on Condor, using Alaska points), and then looks like I'll have to pay the TIJ-CUN and FRA-WAW trip, since I can't use UR points to transfer to a Star Alliance FFP for a LH or LO flight.
Old May 26, 2024, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you! Though looks like I ran into a problem - I was about to book the CUN-CDG-WAW flight, but when I logged in to the UR portal to transfer points to Flying Blue / Air France, there's no option to transfer those point out.

I have an Ink Cash card, and two Ink Business Unlimited cards.

I called and the Chase rep said only the Chase Sapphire card would let me transfer UR points outside of Chase, it seems like... so looks like using UR points isn't an option... I wish Chase would've made it easier to use those points
From chase.com:

""Chase credit cards that allow you to transfer to travel partners

"Sapphire Reserve, Sapphire Preferred and Ink Business Preferred are the cards that offer Chase cardmembers the ability to transfer points to travel partners."

Sorry. If you're going to play the points and miles game, it is essential to do your homework. The Chase cards you have have no annual fee. You need one of the annual-fee cards listed above in order to do point transfers.

Do you not have any personal credit cards? The Chase Sapphire Preferred has just a $95 annual fee, and a generous sign-up bonus. Once I opened a Sapphire Preferred card, I was able to transfer points from my no-fee Chase Freedom card, and I can now transfer those points to airline/hotel programs. Not sure if that works with no-fee business cards. Current sign-up bonus for the Sapphire Preferred:

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is possible to redeem your points for air travel through the Chase portal. But the portal's prices for a flight on Condor might vary from what Condor would charge you directly:

https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...s-card-rewards

Also, if you're willing to pay cash instead of redeeming Alaska miles, Condor will sell you a through-ticket CUN-FRA-WAW, with the FRA-WAW segment being operated by LOT or Lufthansa. Such a ticket might be cheaper than buying two separate tickets, and you would get the benefit of through-checking your baggage, and would be protected in the event of IROPS.

Edited to add: Unfortunately, it appears that the Chase travel portal does not sell flights on Condor. And the other options -- to both FRA and WAW -- are more expensive than Condor.

Last edited by guv1976; May 26, 2024 at 4:59 pm
Old May 26, 2024, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

It is possible to redeem your points for air travel through the Chase portal. But the portal's prices for a flight on Condor might vary from what Condor would charge you directly:

https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...s-card-rewards

Also, if you're willing to pay cash instead of redeeming Alaska miles, Condor will sell you a through-ticket CUN-FRA-WAW, with the FRA-WAW segment being operated by LOT or Lufthansa. Such a ticket might be cheaper than buying two separate tickets, and you would get the benefit of through-checking your baggage, and would be protected in the event of IROPS.

Edited to add: Unfortunately, it appears that the Chase travel portal does not sell flights on Condor. And the other options -- to both FRA and WAW -- are more expensive than Condor.
Thanks Guv, I definitely appreciate your help and learned a lot from your suggestions. I'll be more prepared for next time, I did drop the ball with not knowing Chase's rules. I'll get the Sapphire Preferred for next time. I have some Alaska points, I think I could make it work for the CUN-FRA leg at least.
Old May 26, 2024, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have some Alaska points, I think I could make it work for the CUN-FRA leg at least.
Think carefully before doing that. On June 8, for example, Condor is asking $410 for just CUN-FRA, with checked and carry-on baggage. For the same flight, you would pay 35,000 Alaska miles plus $80. Subtract $80 from both sides of the equation and you'll see that you are spending 35,000 AS miles to save $330, or less than 1.0 per mile in value. That's just paltry. In addition, you'd have to buy a stand-alone FRA-WAW ticket for about $235 (to include a checked bag). If you bought a cash ticket from Condor for CUN-FRA-WAW, Condor would charge you just $510 total, or only $100 extra for the FRA-WAW leg. That's a much better deal than redeeming AS miles for CUN-FRA only.
SPN Lifer, TWA884 and AAdvanadium like this.
Old May 26, 2024, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Think carefully before doing that. On June 8, for example, Condor is asking $410 for just CUN-FRA, with checked and carry-on baggage. For the same flight, you would pay 35,000 Alaska miles plus $80. Subtract $80 from both sides of the equation and you'll see that you are spending 35,000 AS miles to save $330, or less than 1.0 per mile in value. That's just paltry. In addition, you'd have to buy a stand-alone FRA-WAW ticket for about $235 (to include a checked bag). If you bought a cash ticket from Condor for CUN-FRA-WAW, Condor would charge you just $510 total, or only $100 extra for the FRA-WAW leg. That's a much better deal than redeeming AS miles for CUN-FRA only.
That's a great point, I didn't realize I could book that leg with Condor themselves. Lufthansa charged $235 for FRA-WAW, which for 2 people gets expensive, might as well just pay cash and use Condor, you're totally right.

I did already book with Alaska before I checked back here, but just cancelled it. Thinking about calling my credit card to block the two non-refundable $12.50 partner booking charges, but probably not worth the hassle. Otherwise I got all my points and the other booking fees back.

Going to book the Condor flight. Really glad for your help, thank you so much Guv.
Old May 26, 2024, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a great point, I didn't realize I could book that leg with Condor themselves. Lufthansa charged $235 for FRA-WAW, which for 2 people gets expensive, might as well just pay cash and use Condor, you're totally right.

I did already book with Alaska before I checked back here, but just cancelled it. Thinking about calling my credit card to block the two non-refundable $12.50 partner booking charges, but probably not worth the hassle. Otherwise I got all my points and the other booking fees back.

Going to book the Condor flight. Really glad for your help, thank you so much Guv.
My pleasure.

This FlyerTalk thread from a while ago indicates that the $12.50 partner-award booking fee is refundable too, if you cancel the award within 24 hours of booking it. But you might have to call or email AS to get the refund.

Issues Getting the Partner Award Fee Refunded When Cancelling

Have a great trip!
SPN Lifer and AAdvanadium like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 12:06 pm

Not sure when you're looking to fly, but Condor will start SJD-FRA later in the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.