Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Best rewards route from Mexico (anywhere) to Europe? (Except Spain and Italy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best rewards route from Mexico (anywhere) to Europe? (Except Spain and Italy)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2024, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Question Best rewards route from Mexico (anywhere) to Europe? (Except Spain and Italy)

What are the best rewards routes from anywhere in Mexico to Europe?
(Except Spain and Italy, which I'm trying to avoid since their visa entry process is more stringent for Mexican citizens, and I don't want to get turned away on vacation).

Final destination is Warsaw, but I know it's hard to find rewards flights that go directly to Warsaw, so I'm just trying to find a good hub and buy a cheap flight from there to Warsaw.

Right now the best routes I've found are:
  • MEX - CDG (Air France)
  • MEX - AMS (KLM)
  • MEX - FRA, MUC, IST (Frankfurt, Munich)

CUN - FRA (Condor)
The other problem is then to find a cheap flight to Warsaw. From Frankfurt they're $227 a person, the cheapest flight. From Paris, it's as low as $37 with Ryanair, but then with CDG-BVA transfer, luggage and everything... probably more like $100-$150 a person... still would be cheaper than Frankfurt though probably, since we'll be flying with two people.

Just seeing if there might be any more options.

Currently I have about 80,000 AAdvantage Points, 100,000 Alaska Points, and 100,000 Chase UR points.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Old May 24, 2024, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by AAdvanadium
(Except Spain and Italy, which I'm trying to avoid since their visa entry process is more stringent for Mexican citizens, and I don't want to get turned away on vacation).

Final destination is Warsaw, but I know it's hard to find rewards flights that go directly to Warsaw, so I'm just trying to find a good hub and buy a cheap flight from there to Warsaw.

• MEX - CDG (Air France)
  • MEX - AMS (KLM)

CUN - FRA (Condor)
The other problem is then to find a cheap flight to Warsaw. From Frankfurt they're $227 a person, the cheapest flight. From Paris, it's as low as $37 with Ryanair, but then with CDG-BVA transfer, luggage and everything... probably more like $100-$150 a person... still would be cheaper than Frankfurt though probably, since we'll be flying with two people.

Currently I have about 80,000 AAdvantage Points, 100,000 Alaska Points, and 100,000 Chase UR points.

Can you enter the U.S.? If so, then for Economy Class, you can redeem 32.5K AA miles for MEX-XXX-LHR-WAW one way. As long as the trans-Atlantic flight is on AA and not BA, you will pay no carrier surcharges, only taxes and airport fees -- approximately $116 USD total.
​​​​​​
Or, you could book the cheap cash ticket to CDG or FRA, and then redeem miles for a one-way intra-European ticket to WAW on AF/LO from CDG, or on LH/LO from FRA.
AAdvanadium likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Can you enter the U.S.? If so, then for Economy Class, you can redeem 32.5K AA miles for MEX-XXX-LHR-WAW one way. As long as the trans-Atlantic flight is on AA and not BA, you will pay no carrier surcharges, only taxes and airport fees -- approximately $116 USD total.
​​​​​​
Or, you could book the cheap cash ticket to CDG or FRA, and then redeem miles for a one-way intra-European ticket to WAW on AF/LO from CDG, or on LH/LO from FRA.
Thanks Guv - Unfortunately going through the U.S. is not an option for my travel companion.

For redeeming miles, how could I do that for a LH/LO flight from FRA to WAW? Wouldn't I need Miles and More points to book a reward flight with them?

From my understanding, I can't transfer AAdvantage, Alaska, nor UR points for Miles and More points.
Old May 24, 2024, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Guv - Unfortunately going through the U.S. is not an option for my travel companion.

For redeeming miles, how could I do that for a LH/LO flight from FRA to WAW? Wouldn't I need Miles and More points to book a reward flight with them?

From my understanding, I can't transfer AAdvantage, Alaska, nor UR points for Miles and More points.
You can transfer UR points to a number of Star Alliance FFPs -- AC, SQ, and UA -- and redeem from such a program for award travel on other Star Alliance carriers, like LH or LO. Each FFP has different redemption rates/fees, so you would have to do some research to find out which program offers the best redemption deal for an intra-European redemption. AC and UA let you price redemptions without logging in to an account; not sure about SQ.

Edited to add: Looks like United would charge 8K miles plus about $63 per person for the FRA-WAW one-way.
SPN Lifer and AAdvanadium like this.

Last edited by guv1976; May 24, 2024 at 6:07 pm
Old May 24, 2024, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's what Virgin Atlantic would charge for a one-way award on AF MEX-CDG-WAW in Economy:

It's possible that Air France's "Flying Blue" FFP would charge less for the very same redemption, but I do not have a Flying Blue account, so cannot check that.

The benefits of having the whole trip on one ticket include protection in the event of IROPS, and the ability to through-check your baggage all the way to WAW.
AAdvanadium likes this.
Old May 24, 2024, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying Blue May promotion for North America-Europe awards

It looks like Flying Blue is running a promotion this month featuring discounted award travel between North America. Promotion expires at the end of May, but valid travel dates run through October. Not sure what the cash co-pay would be on these awards, but definitely worth exploring before the promo ends. More details here:

https://thepointsguy.com/deals/flyin...promo-rewards/

("Flights to Europe starting at 15K miles: Check out Flying Blue's May Promo Rewards")
Old May 25, 2024, 9:16 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United

• MEX - CDG (Air France)
  • MEX - AMS (KLM)

CUN - FRA (Condor)

Can you fly to Berlin instead of Frankfurt or Munich? If so, a train from Berlin to Warsaw is about 5 1/2 hours, with regular service. Prices vary, depending in part on whether you are able to purchase tickets for a specific train in advance.
AAdvanadium likes this.

Last edited by JPG3392; May 25, 2024 at 11:53 am Reason: Corrected typo.
Old May 25, 2024, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPG3392
Can you fly to Berlin instead of Frankfurt or Munich. If so, a train from Berlin to Warsaw is about 5 1/2 hours, with regular service. Prices vary, depending in part on whether you are able to purchase tickets for a specific train in advance.
That could be an option. Are there better connections to Berlin? I didn't see any when searching.
Old May 25, 2024, 12:02 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
That could be an option. Are there better connections to Berlin? I didn't see any when searching.
I know nothing about flights from Mexico to Germany without transiting the U.S. In general, there are far more flights to FRA and MUC than to BER. But a train trip from Berlin to Warsaw is much shorter than Frankfurt--Warsaw or Munich--Warsaw by rail.
Old May 25, 2024, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Here's what Virgin Atlantic would charge for a one-way award on AF MEX-CDG-WAW in Economy:

It's possible that Air France's "Flying Blue" FFP would charge less for the very same redemption, but I do not have a Flying Blue account, so cannot check that.

The benefits of having the whole trip on one ticket include protection in the event of IROPS, and the ability to through-check your baggage all the way to WAW.
Thanks Guv, that looks like a great redemption.

I tried finding it on the Virgin Atlantic website (while logged in), searching MEX to WAW, and couldn't find any availability (screenshot of results, it just keeps telling me "there are no flights available for that search, please try again. #101766R"). How were you able to get those flights to show up?

(Also, any good flights you'd recommend for San Diego (SAN) to Warsaw (WAW)? The best I've found was with American Airlines, but 2 layovers and 22-27 hrs - SAN-ORD-LHR-WAW))
Old May 25, 2024, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Guv, that looks like a great redemption.

I tried finding it on the Virgin Atlantic website (while logged in), searching MEX to WAW, and couldn't find any availability (screenshot of results, it just keeps telling me "there are no flights available for that search, please try again. #101766R"). How were you able to get those flights to show up?
Select "Show price in points," rather than "Show price in points plus money." But frankly, I would not bother with Virgin Atlantic. Flying Blue is a Chase transfer partner, too. I would create a Flying Blue account today, and see if it will let you price the same itinerary without having any miles in your account. I think it highly likely that a Flying Blue redemption will price lower (at least in miles) than a Virgin Atlantic redemption on the same route. If the Flying Blue redemption rate looks good, you still have time to transfer your Chase points into Flying Blue to catch Flying Blue's May sale.

Re: AA out of SAN. How would your travel companion be able to cross the border to fly out of SAN? In any event, the AA award availability out of SAN is what it is. AA does not fly to LHR from SAN, and does not fly to WAW at all. So unless you want to pay the cash surcharges for traveling on the BA SAN-LHR nonstop (when available), you're always going to have (at least) a three-segment itinerary from SAN to WAW using AA miles.​​​​​

Edited to add: A MEX-CDG-WAW redemption made with Flying Blue miles would allow a free stopover in Paris, if desired. But a redemption with the free stopover cannot be booked online, you must call. Details here:

https://www.flyingblue.fr/en/news/stopover

Last edited by guv1976; May 25, 2024 at 1:47 pm
Old May 25, 2024, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Select "Show price in points," rather than "Show price in points plus money." But frankly, I would not bother with Virgin Atlantic. Flying Blue is a Chase transfer partner, too. I would create a Flying Blue account today, and see if it will let you price the same itinerary without having any miles in your account. I think it highly likely that a Flying Blue redemption will price lower (at least in miles) than a Virgin Atlantic redemption on the same route. If the Flying Blue redemption rate looks good, you still have time to transfer your Chase points into Flying Blue to catch Flying Blue's May sale.

Re: AA out of SAN. How would your travel companion be able to cross the border to fly out of SAN? In any event, the AA award availability out of SAN is what it is. AA does not fly to LHR from SAN, and does not fly to WAW at all. So unless you want to pay the cash surcharges for traveling on the BA SAN-LHR nonstop (when available), you're always going to have (at least) a three-segment itinerary from SAN to WAW using AA miles.​​​​​
Thanks Guv - For Virgin Atlantic, I actually had the same problem even when using "Show price in points". I think it might be because my points balance for Virgin Atlantic is zero?

I used Flying Blues "Estimate" tool, it's showing me 20k miles for MEX - WAW, but just as an estimate, from what I understand I have to go on Air France's and KLM's websites and check availability there. We're looking to fly to Poland between June 3rd and June 13th or so, but the only cheap redemption is June 24th @ 43k miles (Checking both Air France's and KLM's website).

Do you know if there's any other way to find a cheaper redemption?

(I did see that CUN to WAW has some better points redemptions in June, I'll also check KLM's flight routes from Mexico to WAW).

(And regarding SAN - WAW, I'm currently in San Diego, my girlfriend is in Colima, Mexico. For simplicity I left out those details, but my plan was to meet somewhere along the way, or meet in WAW. It's her first time going outside the country, so I was hoping to meet her somewhere along the way in case she had any visa issues. Not sure if me meeting her there would make any difference with visa issues though, in case she'd have troubles(?). I'd fly with her, but the cost and logistics of me flying to MEX or CUN to meet her there and accompany her, it'd be an extra $500 or so that I can't really spend at the moment. We were living together in Mexico and I wanted her to come visit my family in Poland, and we might stay there to find jobs in the future, if she can find a work visa.)

Last edited by AAdvanadium; May 25, 2024 at 2:48 pm Reason: edited to add CUN and AMS routing options for Flying Blue
Old May 25, 2024, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

June is peak travel time between the U.S. and Europe -- especially for college students whose classes have ended by then. I'm not surprised that you're having trouble finding a cheap redemption then.

If you can get yourself to LAX, Norse Atlantic offers a nonstop to Paris for as low as $423 one way, including a checked bag and carry-on. You could then transfer some of your points to United or Flying Blue to redeem for CDG-WAW.

Old May 25, 2024, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AAdvanadium , have you priced a flight to MEX or CUN on Viva Aerobus or Volaris from TIJ? You can access TIJ Airport from the CBX terminal in the Otay Mesa area of Southern San Diego.
Old May 25, 2024, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

AAdvanadium , have you priced a flight to MEX or CUN on Viva Aerobus or Volaris from TIJ? You can access TIJ Airport from the CBX terminal in the Otay Mesa area of Southern San Diego.
Thanks Guv, as obvious as that solution is, I was somehow subconsciously rejecting it.

I guess originally I saw the $150 price and just wanted to avoid it, but now that I think about it, it might save a lot of headache. Especially going through US-side airport security and customs, which is much more hassle.

Going to keep searching around... thanks again for all your help. I think the CUN-CDG-WAW leg might be the best, and I can take a TIJ-CUN flight to make it easier and fly together.

Have you been to Paris recently? Worth it to do a layover there for a day or two to explore, you think? (Recently people have been telling me it's gotten stinky and more dangerous, I haven't been in a few years).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.