Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family Trip for 2 months Italy & Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2021, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Family Trip for 2 months Italy & Europe

Hi all, we are building a new home and are planning on traveling a lot in 2022. Was hoping to tap into the knowledge base here and get some opinions ...

We have a significant amount of AMEX and Chase points. We want to spend several weeks in Tuscany, Italy and then around 8 days in Europe. We come from Tampa and wanted to ask few questions.

We will be flying first class ... from Tampa is there a best airline to get us to Europe non stop? Or does it make a lot more sense (points wise) to do the flight a specific way? We will be traveling with a 9 month old so want to limit flying time and would pay a little extra points to make it more convenient.

For Tuscany, we want to be close to the popular vineyards and looking for a great place to stay for 3 weeks. Ideally, we would use points for this if anyone has any suggestions on 5 star lodging and good “points” deals? Can be hotels or villas ...

Finally, we want to go to southern France and just curious if anyone has any input on where to stay while there (similar quality as above). Want to use points for the whole trip and stay in the best lodging that is offered ... just not sure if anyone has come across any great “points” deals in this scenario.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the cc points are transferred to a ffp when is comes to premium award flights the "best airline to get us to Europe non stop" is the airline with availability.
If booking with AMEX and Chase points they are more like cash.
Generally you pay 10% (in $$) of the cash retail fare for babe in arms (Newman Jnr). But check with airline/ffp first

The numbers of airlines/aircraft/routes with first class is decreasing.
International business class(on good airlines) is a lot better than most USA domestic first class.
Limited Tampa-EU/UK non-stop flights (list will be pre CV19--not current)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_...tional_Airport

Credit card transfer links

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 17, 2021 at 6:52 pm
Old Jun 19, 2021, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Tampa, and even nearby Orlando, isn't really a First Class destination in general let alone during Covid times. You'll get a few nonstops with business class from Orlando on VS, BA & LH and BA from Tampa on a limited schedule.
Most people don't need First Class on an international trip as it has become a rare product and today's international business class cabins are equipped with lie-flat beds and meals. Even then I highly recommend getting premium economy instead and putting the kid in a car seat in their own seat. They're more likely to sleep this way than being held and shifted around. With East Coast US to Europe being a relatively short flight you won't get the whole premium cabin experience.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
What time of year? When you say "significant" amount of points - any ballpark you are open to sharing? And is the to-be 9 month old your first child or are there any other members of the family (asking this as European hotels often have 3 people in a room limitation and also to see how many award flight tickets we are talking about)?

Agree with Mwenenzi that the best airline is the one you can find low/standard award availability on - and then having that be an airline program you can quickly transfer points to and confirm the ticket. It will most likely be Business (J) class as very few routes actually have first class these days.

Will the 9 month old have their own seat? Or are you planning lap child? If lap child, even if you use miles for the flights, you will usually need to pay 10% of the first/business fare for the lap infant award. My wife and I got all excited after our first trip with our first child went well -- immediately booked 2 business class tickets to Thailand for when he would be 10 months -- but I had no idea about having to pay for an infant award fee. There can be a big difference between the premium fares on your award flight options - could mean a fee of $400 vs. $700 for example - though I would expect premium fares to stay low for a while.

For Tuscany assume you will probably want to fly into Florence or Pisa. To have that only be one connection you have to find the international leg from Tampa or Orlando. From Tampa looks like the only choice would be Lufthansa via Frankfurt to Florence (there are some other non-stops over the Atlantic, but then I see things like the Tampa BA flight being to Gatwick but flying to Tuscany would require changing airports in London, which is not fun). Ideally you would use Amex points for the flights as the Chase points will be more valuable for the hotels (since you can either transfer or book via their portal depending on best value). For Lufthansa you are probably transferring to a partner like United, Air Canada, or Singapore -- you have to compare what amount of points each one of those is charging these days for partner awards. Unfortunately a 2 stop is probably more likely. Delta via ATL and either CDG/AMS to PSA/FLR might be the easiest to come by and a simple Amex transfer.

3 weeks is a long time to use points for a stay. Most programs have a 5th night free which maximizes the value; Marriott has some week vacation packages where you get additional airline miles. But 21 days is a lot of points and not many great hotel transfer options with Amex and Chase. I think you will do better renting a villa. But maybe see how far your Chase points will go with a property like La Bandita Townhouse in Pienza or Castello Banfi - Il Borgo outside Sienna (if either are bookable on the UR portal). Hyatt is also a decent UR transfer partner - looks like they have a property -- Villa Di Piazzano. If that location works for you, might be a good value transferring Chase to Hyatt. When we visited Tuscany many years ago, we were fortunate to have a family friend who owned a hotel in the center square of San Gimignano - that town is also very central.

Last edited by dbuckho; Jun 20, 2021 at 12:54 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 20, 2021, 9:34 am

Advice would depend on when in 2022. Italy is very child friendly, France not so much - so I'd focus most/all of my trip on Italy. With an infant my suggestion is to be in or near a (small) town - walking distance. You can use points for rentals also which would be good with kids. For flights, go non-step to MXP and car/train/bus
Old Jun 21, 2021, 2:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I would forget about the whole points thing for your accommodation. Rent a nice villa in Tuscany and be done with it. As for flights, book whatever is available ina reasonably simple way. Don’t over complicate things
Old Jun 27, 2021, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Remember that international lap infant fares are generally 10% of the fare for the cabin in which the lap will be sitting PLUS 100% of the taxes and fees for such a ticket. A few airlines charge more than 10% (IIRC one of the Asian carriers is 25%). A few carriers issue lap infant award tickets (paid with miles, plus money for the taxes and fees).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.