Search

Non-Refundable rate cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, JAL
Deleted

deleted

Last edited by RollAnotherFatOne; Dec 1, 2019 at 8:17 am Reason: Place is full of morons
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
Not sure if this is the right place.
But i book 16 nights and a few hours later the hotel lowers the price massively. It was a non-refundable rate.
I then cancel it and it charges me the full amount (without warning).
I wish someone would tell me I'm not totally screwed?
Rule number 1 if you book a non-refundable rate: never go back checking the rates.

Some hotel chains and some OTA have a 24h price match policy, maybe there is something you can do about this.

Otherwise, I would call the hotel and explain the situation. If you're nice, lucky and have booked directly on the hotel's website, you may get a refund. If not, I would try to make some arrangement with the hotel about having the hotel get/keep the full amount, but it uses the actuel rate and that you would use the difference on different hotel spendings (lunch, dinner, minibar, ....).
Old Nov 28, 2019, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, JAL
deleted

Last edited by RollAnotherFatOne; Dec 1, 2019 at 8:13 am Reason: deleted
Old Nov 28, 2019, 3:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
So the position at the moment is that you have cancelled rooms but have paid the price?
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
But i book 16 nights and a few hours later the hotel lowers the price massively. It was a non-refundable rate.
It sounds like you had a "non-refundable" rate that you paid, but then expected a refund?
If that is the case, there was no "scam"; they simply enforced the "non-refundable" term of what you chose and reserved.

The best outcome might be to contact the hotel and ask them to reinstate your reservation as it was when you booked that non-refundable rate. "No harm, no foul", if they'll do that.

And in the future, be very careful about non-refundable rates, for (now?) obvious reasons. They are what they are called...

We tend to book REFUNDABLE rates, and then keep watching to see if there is some last minute very low non-refundable rate, and then cancel the REFUNDABLE)rate, and take the lower non-refundable rate.
The risk here, of course, is that a lower non-refundable rate at the same time as we booked the refundable rate might never appear again.

We've very rarely had success contacting a hotel directly and asking them if they would lower our (non-refundable) rate to a new rate now on their website. But we do *not* "cancel" anything, so we wouldn't lose any money if they say "no".

GC
Adam1222 and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I haven't seen cheaper rates nearer the day for years now.
Used to quite often book with Hilton, IHG etc. and rebook up to 3 times with penalty if the price lowered.
Since the "non-cancelable after 48hrs before check-in" rule was introduced, everything seems to creep up by a few Ł/$ a day.

Been caught out once or twice due to change of plans (usually airline cancellations), but generally saving a bit compared to a flexible booking works for me.

Same thing with airline fares. If you think you've got a good deal and are happy with it, don't look again. Always a kick in the teeth when it's Ł200 cheaper two days later.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP needs to change the thread title. According to his own post, he chose a non-refundable rate and is now upset that he cannot change the rate.

How was the room booked? Through the hotel, through the hotel's chain, through some third-party vendor, a travel agent? The more detail, the better help OP will get here.
TerryK and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 9:01 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Often1
OP needs to change the thread title. According to his own post, he chose a non-refundable rate and is now upset that he cannot change the rate.

How was the room booked? Through the hotel, through the hotel's chain, through some third-party vendor, a travel agent? The more detail, the better help OP will get here.
Don't agree that the thread title is a problem. It caught my eye to read and I re-inforced a lesson learned at no cost to me. The OP did not name the hotel in the thread title so no real damage done
Old Nov 28, 2019, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Don't agree that the thread title is a problem. It caught my eye to read and I re-inforced a lesson learned at no cost to me. The OP did not name the hotel in the thread title so no real damage done
Clickbait.
writerguyfl, Adam1222, :D! and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I booked a $350 non refundable room for 1 night. Got my days mixed up and booked it a day early. Had to pay for the next night again as 1st night not refundable. Can'thave our cake and eat it too.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I'm trying to understand why you canceled a non-refundable booking and didn't expect to be out the whole amount? That's the meaning of "non-refundable". If you hadn't canceled then you might have had some luck if the property had a price match guarantee or something, as mentioned above. Having canceled it, though you have removed any potential and now you've paid for a room that you no longer have.

I suppose you could try and call the hotel and plead your case, maybe there's a very slim chance they would reinstate the booking? Worst they can say is no. But I don't see where this is any sort of scam. Rates change. As another poster mentioned, my rule is never to go back and re-check prices after I've made a non-refundable booking. There's no good that come from it, just frustration.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I booked a $350 non refundable room for 1 night. Got my days mixed up and booked it a day early. Had to pay for the next night again as 1st night not refundable. Can'thave our cake and eat it too.
I feel very sorry for people who can't have their cake AND eat it too. What do they do on their birthday? Poor souls.

However, I do not feel sorry for people who book a non-refundable hotel room and then expect it to be refunded for their convenience.
84fiero likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Presumably, the non-refundable rate was cheaper, at the time you booked it, than refundable rates were at the same time. You chose a guaranteed saving then over the possibility that a lower rate might become available later. More often, as you get closer to the day, rates tend to go up, so this is usually a winning strategy. In this case, it wasn't, but that's one of the risks you take with non-refundable rates.

I'd call the hotel, tell them you made a mistake in cancelling, and ask them to reinstate your original reservation exactly as it was.

And I agree with those who feel the thread title is misleading. In no way did the hotel scam you. They made the reasonable assumption that you understood what you were buying, and did exactly what they said they would do and that you agreed to. If anyone is trying to scam anyone here, you are trying to scam the hotel by cancelling a non-refundable reservation, for no reason except that rates have gone down as they are known to do once in a while, and trying to get a refund while booking at the new rate.
84fiero and Adam1222 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 12:35 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Annalisa12

In this sort of situation I would expect most hotels to be understanding and switch the booking for free - provided that rooms are still being sold at that price on both dates; or one contacts the hotel immediately after booking and noticing the mistake.

I have never understood the origin of that saying. What is the purpose of "having" a cake other than to eat it? It will grow mouldy or stale.

There are somewhat unethical things one can do to mitigate the risk of making mistakes, such as using fake CC numbers etc. Also, if booking a non-refundable reservation direct with IHG, if the hotel has not yet charged the card provided, you can change the reservation online to a different date and in most cases the hotel won't notice - if they do notice and decide to charge both reservations then you haven't lost anything beyond what you already thought you would lose.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
OP needs to change the thread title.
Not really. The OP was trying to scam the hotel by booking a non-refundable rate and then changing it as if it were flexible.
SK AAR, 84fiero and :D! like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.