Non-Refundable rate cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Refundable rate cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
If I told you the nature of the hotel, and the location, I think a number of the above reflections would change significantly. However, I prefer to keep everyone anonymous. As I said before there was information that was contradictory, and in such cases, is de-facto, misleading. However, I don't want to labour on this...
Thank you for your response.
Look at the parts of your comments that I quoted. You'll note that you were specifically saying that no hotel anywhere ever has large price changes. I was merely correcting your wildly inaccurate statement based on over a decade's worth of experience in the hospitality industry.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, JAL
deleted

Last edited by RollAnotherFatOne; Dec 1, 2019 at 8:11 am
Old Nov 30, 2019, 1:09 am
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by RollAnotherFatOne; Dec 1, 2019 at 8:11 am
Old Nov 30, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Listen, we're talking about a small hotel here. Not necessarily one driven by complicated software. It offers a flat rate that changes less than 10% between full inventory and no inventory and shows a flat rate across all seasons.
Even in that case, anyone who believes that a hotel's thought process was "let's wait until RAFO makes a non-refundable reservation, then we'll cut our price a lot - boy, we'll show him!" has a highly inflated idea of his/her own importance to the hotel. There are any number of reasons that could explain a larger-than-usual rate change. I repeat: They are not out to get you. They probably have no idea who you are. Chill. Accept that you did something that seemed like a good idea at the time, but that in retrospect you could have saved some money by doing something else, and move on.
TerryK and writerguyfl like this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Debating why a private business changes its prices is not helpful and is a red herring.

OP chose to book a non-refundable rate at the time he booked. After that, the rate could have stayed the same, gone up or gone down. Whether it does and by how much is none of OP's concern as he chose the non-refundable rate.

The bottom line is that we all make choices and OP made one here.

What is offensive is the "scamming" allegation. That is baseless and ought to be changed to "hotel insisted on honoring contract"
TerryK, writerguyfl, muji and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by RollAnotherFatOne; Dec 1, 2019 at 8:10 am
Old Nov 30, 2019, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

deleted

Old Nov 30, 2019, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

deleted

Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Allegation?. ha.
You don't even know who the "allegation" is against, so you should really get off your high horse.
You know half the story and call it 'click bait' like any ignorant might. You're the offensive person here.

The hypocrisy oozing from you is incredible. Let me put this simple for you: You're offended on behalf of a party you neither know the identity of or personally.

You criticise me in an unsolicited manner where I was seeking assistance. The fact you continued your unhelpfulness despite continual efforts by myself to close this, simply shows you for the person you are.

The fact you write about me in the third person just shows a lack of respect and lack of purpose to the drivel you've concocted. Please go and bother someone else.
To shorten it then:

You made and got the benefit of the bargain you selected.
writerguyfl and craigthemif like this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 4:25 pm

Listen, we're talking about a small hotel here. Not necessarily one driven by complicated software. It offers a flat rate that changes less than 10% between full inventory and no inventory and shows a flat rate across all seasons.
If this hotel is part of a chain, it uses revenue management software. That type of software is included as part of the franchise agreement with the hotel group.

If the hotel is independent and has more than 10 room or so, it uses revenue management software. While the internal functionality is complicated, the front end is not difficult to understand or use. It's a business expense that literally pays for itself over a fairly short amount of time.

You're certainly free to disagree with me and the other people posting here. But, my opinion is an educated one based on many years of experience. At this point, I'm not really here to convince you of anything. I'm merely correcting your false statements so that other people who visit this thread don't receive false information.
TerryK, MSPeconomist and Often1 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by RollAnotherFatOne; Dec 1, 2019 at 8:09 am
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:48 am

I struggle to think in what context people would act on any of the information I provided(?).
It's not about people taking action with regard to your false claims. See, some people visit FlyerTalk because they are interested in how the travel industry works. When I see people saying something untrue (small hotels don't use revenue management software; virtually no hotel ever changes rates by 30%), I am going to speak up to correct the record.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Thank you for your generosity. I certainly do disagree with you, especially your references about my 'false statements' [sic] as that description is nonsense and borderline garbage.
I struggle to think in what context people would act on any of the information I provided(?). Rather, with respect, some people have instead used this as an ego-stroking exercise.
I accepted from the outset that I booked a non-refundable rate. But I don't accept people taking money without providing a service is right and proper. I therefore defend my emotional feeling at the time that I felt scammed, no matter what the small print might say.
I'm sure I missed it, but what services were not provided? And, out of curiosity, why the [sic] on 'false statements'?
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
It's not about people taking action with regard to your false claims. See, some people visit FlyerTalk because they are interested in how the travel industry works. When I see people saying something untrue (small hotels don't use revenue management software; virtually no hotel ever changes rates by 30%), I am going to speak up to correct the record.
Some people also come to internet forums to have their egos massaged, and then get really angry and argumentative when their own shortcomings are pointed out...
TerryK and 84fiero like this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:18 am
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by RollAnotherFatOne; Dec 1, 2019 at 8:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.