Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Help! Missing flight on purpose, but with different airlines

Help! Missing flight on purpose, but with different airlines

Old Mar 19, 19, 2:58 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Help! Missing flight on purpose, but with different airlines

Hi all

I do realize that there are a lot on this subject already, but I haven't been able to find an answer on my specific situation.

I'm flying from Denmark to Mexico, and as you all know, it's cheaper to buy a round ticket from/to the same airports. Therefore we have booked departure: Denmark-Cancun (2 stops) and return Cancun-Denmark (2 stops).

Our flights from Denmark stops in Orlando, then Mexico City, and finally in Cancun. We are planning to skip the last part and get off in Mexico City (if we can make sure to get our luggage out as well - that is another discussion). We booked it all through an online agency which means that all the flights are with different airlines.

What we are afraid of is, that if we "skip" the last flight getting there (Mexico City to Cancun), will it then have an effect on our return trip somehow? We don't return until 7 weeks later and with different airlines. Yet, it has all been booked simultaneously as one single trip through the online agency. Do the different airlines notify each other somehow or does it happen automatically when it is all the same booking maybe?

Hope you can help with this one.

Kind regards Rasmus
Rasmus is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 6:51 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,963
Nobody here can answer your question unless you provide the details, including what carriers and whether this is all on one or more tickets,

The general industry contract provision is that all segments must be flown in the order issued and that the failure to fly a segment means that all remaining segments, including the return, are cancelled and retain whatever value they retain under the fare rules. When and whether that happens and the circumstances under which bags are checked through and to where is highly dependent on the details.
JGMagee likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 7:06 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Sorry, I thought I had given details enough.
We fly with Lufthansa Cph - Frankfurt and also Frankfurt - Mexico City. Herafter we change to InterJet to fly the last part to Cancun. It is this part that we hope to skip.
On our return flights (7 weeks later) we fly from Cancun - Chicago with United Airlines and hereafter Lufthansa the rest of the way (with a stop in Frankfurt).
On the documents given from the online agency it is all booked under the same booking number.

What we don't understand is, what if we actually missed a flight for some reason. You know, hypothetically if we fell asleep in the airport or something - would this also result in all our return flights being cancelled?

Kind regards Rasmus
Rasmus is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 7:39 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NT Australia
Programs: QF WP
Posts: 1,739
Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
Sorry, I thought I had given details enough.
We fly with Lufthansa Cph - Frankfurt and also Frankfurt - Mexico City. Herafter we change to InterJet to fly the last part to Cancun. It is this part that we hope to skip.
On our return flights (7 weeks later) we fly from Cancun - Chicago with United Airlines and hereafter Lufthansa the rest of the way (with a stop in Frankfurt).
On the documents given from the online agency it is all booked under the same booking number.

What we don't understand is, what if we actually missed a flight for some reason. You know, hypothetically if we fell asleep in the airport or something - would this also result in all our return flights being cancelled?

Kind regards Rasmus
is the InterJet flight an LH codeshare?
nancypants is online now  
Old Mar 19, 19, 7:44 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Ehm not entirely sure what it means with codeshare, but when looking up InterJet they state that they have "Interlinear agreements" with LH. They only have codeshare with AA, Latam, and Iberia.

Does this make any difference? The details for this is on their webpage which I am not allowed to write in this post. It is interjet .com/ en-us / interjet-experience / alliances / airline-companies

Last edited by Rasmus; Mar 19, 19 at 7:50 am Reason: New info
Rasmus is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 7:58 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PRG
Programs: KL Platinum, LA Black, A3 Gold, BA Silver, IB Oro
Posts: 311
Seems like you book all flights on one reservation - it means once you skip some segment the whole ticket is invalid.
747jetter is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 8:08 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,963
Still not enough information. Codeshares are irrelevant as are bookings. The sole question is whether the CPH-CUN and return is all on one ticket. This will be a 17-digit number in the form of xxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx. If you cannot find this easily, ask your travel agent. It is a simple question. To be clear, it is entirely possible to book multiple tickets into a single booking (PNR). Thus, it means little that you are on a single booking/PNR.

If this is on one ticket and you do not board your flight from MEX-CUN, the remainder of your ticket, e.g. the return to CPH will be cancelled and you will be required to purchase a new ticket to get home. Whether the cancelled ticket has any value will depend on its fare rules. While there might be some question as to whether skipping a segment on 40 will result in an immediate cancellation of UA and LH segments, in this case, you have seven weeks and it is more than likely (although nobody can predict whether it is 2 hours or 2 days or 2 weeks) that the no show for MEX-CUN is detected and your ticket is cancelled.

As you are flying CUN-ORD-FRA-CPH on the return, how are you planning to get to CUN to catch your return to CPH? Might it be possible to change your current 40 segment and what would that cost?

If on the other hand, the 40 segment is a separate ticket, then no worries. It will simply be cancelled if you no show.

Please provide the specific answer as it makes all the difference.
nancypants likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 8:17 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NT Australia
Programs: QF WP
Posts: 1,739
Yeah I only really ask re codeshare as I figure if thatís on an LH code as well the outbound is almost certainly one ticket. Although thatís a veterinary medicine level of diagnostics on my part 🤷🏻.♀️
nancypants is online now  
Old Mar 19, 19, 9:21 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Still not enough information. Codeshares are irrelevant as are bookings. The sole question is whether the CPH-CUN and return is all on one ticket. This will be a 17-digit number in the form of xxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx. If you cannot find this easily, ask your travel agent. It is a simple question. To be clear, it is entirely possible to book multiple tickets into a single booking (PNR). Thus, it means little that you are on a single booking/PNR.

If this is on one ticket and you do not board your flight from MEX-CUN, the remainder of your ticket, e.g. the return to CPH will be cancelled and you will be required to purchase a new ticket to get home. Whether the cancelled ticket has any value will depend on its fare rules. While there might be some question as to whether skipping a segment on 40 will result in an immediate cancellation of UA and LH segments, in this case, you have seven weeks and it is more than likely (although nobody can predict whether it is 2 hours or 2 days or 2 weeks) that the no show for MEX-CUN is detected and your ticket is cancelled.

As you are flying CUN-ORD-FRA-CPH on the return, how are you planning to get to CUN to catch your return to CPH? Might it be possible to change your current 40 segment and what would that cost?

If on the other hand, the 40 segment is a separate ticket, then no worries. It will simply be cancelled if you no show.

Please provide the specific answer as it makes all the difference.
Thank you all for your answers! Especially you Often1 who seems to really know how it all works behind the curtains.

I'll try to find that 17 digit number. It is not in my confirmation email - but I'll contact that agency to see if I can get it.

I still don't understand what would happen if I were to honestly miss a flight, like if I got sick or lost track of time. Would I still loose all my return flights? It seems a bit excessive for a human mistake. Could there really not be a loop hole somewhere there?

Kind regards
Rasmus
Rasmus is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 9:29 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 5,504
I think Ūt is very safe to assume that the OP/Rasmus purchased CPH-CUN as one ticket/1 PNR. If Rasmus had purhased the MEX-CUN separately Rasmus would most likely also realise that this ticket would have no influence on the separate CPH-MEX return ticket (after all he is Danish!) and most likely Rasmus would never have bought the add. ticket to CUN if the intention was only to fly to MEX for the outbound.

Codehare, interline agreement or whatever has been mentioned here has absolutely zero importance to what Rasmus is inquiring about.

But let's get back to Rasmus' concern: The answer is very short/clear: If you skip the MEX - CUN segment then most likely LH (or whoever issued the ticket) will be notified that you no-showed for the MEX-CUN leg and the remaining ticket will be void, i.e. you will not be allowed to check-in for your return flight from CUN.

Secondly, at check-in at CPH the agent will most likely not be prepared to short-check you bag to MEX only (they will realise what you are trying to do!) and you bags will be tagged to CUN, i.e. you will face issues and questions when you try to retrieve the bags at MEX.

So in all a very bad idea (but good that you actually considered it and asked in this forum - many would just have done it due to ignorance about no-show rules and would face serious issues when they try to check-in for the return flights). What you could do is either to buy a cheap CUN-MEX ticket that fits with your incoming MEX-CUN flight (yes, it sounds crazy flying to CUN and then going back again to MEX, but you need to do it to protect your return flights, CUN-ORD-CPH) - or you inquire with InterJet (when you arrive MEX not before) about rebooking the MEX -CUN flight to a later date that suits you. Be prepared that InterJet will charge you change fee + possible upfare for you to rebook the MEX-CUN segment (which may be an considerable amount) - or may simply refuse to touch the ticket and ask you to contact the issuing carrier for rebooking. Good luck!
Often1 and nancypants like this.

Last edited by SK AAR; Mar 19, 19 at 9:45 am
SK AAR is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 9:33 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,963
Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
Thank you all for your answers! Especially you Often1 who seems to really know how it all works behind the curtains.

I'll try to find that 17 digit number. It is not in my confirmation email - but I'll contact that agency to see if I can get it.

I still don't understand what would happen if I were to honestly miss a flight, like if I got sick or lost track of time. Would I still loose all my return flights? It seems a bit excessive for a human mistake. Could there really not be a loop hole somewhere there?

Kind regards
Rasmus
Depending on your TA, there are some who build what look like single journeys from multiple tickets. That is fine when they tell you about it. But, some do not and one only finds out when one flies and things go wrong.

But, as noted, if this is one ticket to CUN and back, the "back" to CPH will be cancelled at some point during your seven weeks in Mexico. That brings me to the question of how you intend to get from MEX-CUN to catch your return via ORD. Given the necessity for that, what would it cost to change your existing ticket so that the MEX-CUN segment is moved back o whenever it is that you expect to fly. It may cost very little, nothing at all, or a fortune. But, worth finding out before engaging in a risky process.

As to getting ill, this is exactly what travel insurance covers,e.g. your hospital and local expenses as well as what it takes to get you back to CPH. As to simply failing to show up, it does not really matter why to an air carrier. Always possible that some individual staff take pity and rebook you, but not something I would plan on at MEX or with 40.
nancypants likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 9:42 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 5,504
Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post

I still don't understand what would happen if I were to honestly miss a flight, like if I got sick or lost track of time. Would I still loose all my return flights? It seems a bit excessive for a human mistake. Could there really not be a loop hole somewhere there?
Airline agents are humans too and may take pity of you and rebook the flight you missed for free, but you need to have a good excuse (other than getting drunk in the airport bar, falling asleep or simply just trying to avoid flying the segment). But also in case of missing the flight because of sickness or misconnecting at a transfer point, you will in principle no-show and the remaining segments become void (however, often agents rebook the segment in question and thereby prevents the ticket getting voided). Even if your ticket has been voided due to no-show the airline may decide to reinstate it or - as said before - to rebook you to the next flight to your destination. Excessive? Yes, but that is why you should take out travel insurance.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by SK AAR; Mar 19, 19 at 9:47 am
SK AAR is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 10:03 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 5,504
Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post

I'll try to find that 17 digit number. It is not in my confirmation email - but I'll contact that agency to see if I can get it.
Try look again in the documents you received from the OTA. We are talking about the ticket number. Most likely it starts with 016 or 220.
SK AAR is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 1:55 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: AA Pewter, BA Lead
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
Thank you all for your answers! Especially you Often1 who seems to really know how it all works behind the curtains.

I'll try to find that 17 digit number. It is not in my confirmation email - but I'll contact that agency to see if I can get it.

I still don't understand what would happen if I were to honestly miss a flight, like if I got sick or lost track of time. Would I still loose all my return flights? It seems a bit excessive for a human mistake. Could there really not be a loop hole somewhere there?

Kind regards
Rasmus
Your ticket numbers will begin with “220” and look like “220 2100257541 2”. If your tickets look like 220 2100257541 1, 220 2100257541 2 etc. your trip is ticketed as one trip. Or, on an e-ticket, 220 2100257541 without the final 1, 2, etc.


Unfortunately, it appears you have purchased the entire trip on one ticket / PNR reciprocity from your agency. If so, regardless of the reason you missed the MEX-CUN flight, it’s quite likely the remainder of the trip will be cancelled soon after you miss the flight.

Airkines call this “hidden city ticketing” or “point beyond ticketing”, and Lufthansa has lately become the leading stickler on this (also referred to as a form of “skiplagging”).
JGMagee is offline  
Old Mar 19, 19, 2:12 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,259
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Secondly, at check-in at CPH the agent will most likely not be prepared to short-check you bag to MEX only (they will realise what you are trying to do!) and you bags will be tagged to CUN, i.e. you will face issues and questions when you try to retrieve the bags at MEX.
As MEX is your port of entry to Mexico (MCO-MEX) you will need to do the immigration formalities at MEX. For many countries that includes customs (baggage). Some countries (& Eu?) do customs at the destination. MEX-CUN is domestic Mexico flight.

Great Circle Mapper

But anyway agree with the others. Miss a flight and all subsequent flights will (probably) auto cancel. But check the "no show" clause in the tickets t&c's. Cheap tickets are restrictive. A full priced first/business class ticket may have allowances.

And make sure your travel insurance covers all risks
nancypants likes this.
Mwenenzi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread