Wiki Posts
Search

Inheritance of travel 'miles'

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA VS
Inheritance of travel 'miles'

This question is not, initially, about any specific mileage scheme. I am trying to find out what various operators state in their rules about the ownership of mileage/points accrued - when the passenger dies.
  • Do the miles/points die with the passenger?
  • Can they be inherited as directed by the passengers Will?
This topic is, as you will realise, about 'digital death'. Has anyone any experience of what happene to mileage? This will certainly vary by each carrier so I am keen to hear all and any responses.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
It varies from programme to programme. There is no universal truth, though in most cases the right to use the miles (which have always belonged to the airline that issued them) falls away. They are not owned by the scheme member.
JDiver and Often1 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paxing
This question is not, initially, about any specific mileage scheme. I am trying to find out what various operators state in their rules about the ownership of mileage/points accrued - when the passenger dies.
  • Do the miles/points die with the passenger?
  • Can they be inherited as directed by the passengers Will?
This topic is, as you will realise, about 'digital death'. Has anyone any experience of what happens to mileage? This will certainly vary by each carrier so I am keen to hear all and any responses.
Each ffp will be different. Will be the t&c's of the ffp.
Generally the flyer does not own the ff miles, but has use of them.

AA thread--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html

UA thread---->Miles transfer / usage upon member death

BA thread---->What happens to BA Miles on death of member?

AS thread--->Transfer of Miles Before/After Death of Family Member

QF https://www.qantas.com/nz/en/frequen...onditions.html
8.3 Membership will terminate automatically on the death of a Member. Qantas Points earned but not yet redeemed or transferred prior to the death of the Member will be cancelled. Qantas Loyalty will close the Member's account on notification of the Member's death. Qantas Loyalty will not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever suffered by any person as a result of such cancellation

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 7, 2019 at 1:55 am Reason: added AS & BA
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
It has been suggested that, if one is dealing with an airline whose policy for this is felt to be unfairly harsh, a survivor can obtain login information for the account and impersonate the account holder to get awards. Obviously, the practicality of doing this varies from situation to situation. It is also against the terms and conditions of every program and probably illegal in some jurisdictions, but unless one is using several million miles to fly a large family around the world in F, the chances of detection are small. (The most common way airlines detect fraudulent mileage use, by asking the traveler personal questions about the account holder that a random miles buyer couldn't answer, won't catch this because the traveler will know the answers.) I do not recommend or endorse this strategy, but it may be worth considering in some situations.

Last edited by Efrem; Mar 7, 2019 at 3:21 pm Reason: Fix typo: "awarss" for "awards"
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:41 am
Community Director Emerita

Gary Leff has tackled this topic on his blog various times. Here is the most recent entry I found.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA VS
Many thanks for all replies. I had searched for threads before asking and am glad to have them located for me. This is what I had expected and so, if one is 'slowing down' [fortunately just not yet!] then one needs to gift them to others in advance. If needs be, they can always buy you a trip, or upgrade you before your final downgrade ...
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Many thanks for all replies. I had searched for threads before asking and am glad to have them located for me. This is what I had expected and so, if one is 'slowing down' [fortunately just not yet!] then one needs to gift them to others in advance. If needs be, they can always buy you a trip, or upgrade you before your final downgrade ...
Maybe. Or maybe the use of the miles can be inherited.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
“Gifting” miles often enough incurs considerable cost. Be sure to check out how much.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
“Gifting” miles often enough incurs considerable cost. Be sure to check out how much.
If the potential giftee has a near-term use for the miles, you can always* buy award tickets for someone else with no added fees. It's when you gift the miles as such that the high costs come into play.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.