Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What happens to BA Miles on death of member?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:46 am
Original Poster

I am curious, can a family member or other legatee inherit an EC member's BA miles?
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHilton Gold, *wood Gold and BA Amex Prem Plus
As far as I know, no. However, you can add people to your household account before the fateful day.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by mattjam
As far as I know, no. However, you can add people to your household account before the fateful day.
According the rules this would make no difference. On the death of a household member account, his/her miles will be cancelled and removed from the household account total.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
It begs the question: is God a PREM?

(Sorry, was watching "The Bishop's Gambit" episode of Yes, Prime Minister last night, and feeling slightly aetheist today.... )
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
This is the clause in the EC membership rules:

3.12.2 upon the death of a Member, Mileage and Tier Points accumulated but unused at the time of death shall be cancelled.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
This is the clause in the EC membership rules:

3.12.2 upon the death of a Member, Mileage and Tier Points accumulated but unused at the time of death shall be cancelled.
One might be forgiven for using the miles before remembering to inform BAEC ..... all the grief and so on. Actually you'd think BA would be a bit easier on this particular clause
Old Jun 28, 2005, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I remember reading posts in other fora that in North America especially, FF miles and points become part of the deceased's estate no matter what the rules and regulations say and the person's bequests are acted on. (Sorry, I wouldn't know where to look now, except that it was probably in travelbuzz or similar.)

Certainly some airlines - from memory AA and DL - allow miles to be transferred or redeemed after a death certificate and perhaps an extract from the will are supplied.

In view of the EC rules we agree to when signing up, I imagine it would be difficult to persuade BA to agree to this without assistance from m'learned friends, which may be expensive for a test case.

Of course, some of our North American cousins continue redeeming using the deceased's account. Not a difficult prospect - except when redeeming AmEx twofers .
Old Jun 28, 2005, 1:17 pm

I have to say, if someone close to me died I think the last thing I'd worry about is their BA miles...

Sorry if that sounds like rank heresy, but really.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 1:23 pm
Community Director Emerita

I have a close friend whose husband died shockingly and abruptly. I knew at the time that she could have cared less about his miles, but I also knew that in time she would begin to live again. I took over contacting the airlines on her behalf, and prepared all the necessary paperwork for her to sign. (We're talking months after the death, not days.) I dealt with UA and AA; both were superb about making the transfer.

And yes, now 18 months on, she is beginning to travel. Further, she has far flung children (late teens, early 20s) for whom the miles are a blessing as they fly in to visit.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I have to say, if someone close to me died I think the last thing I'd worry about is their BA miles...

Sorry if that sounds like rank heresy, but really.
No, it's not heresy, it's perfectly understandable.

However, miles are assets, like bank accounts, property, personal items, pets and the like. These all have to be dealt with at a most difficult time, so this is just one extra item. And the accrued value of an individual's miles and points accrued in several programmes over several years is not to be sniffed at.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. Recently, I was in the process of updating my Will etc. and it struck me - who gets the miles? Seems jolly unfair having earned them that BA can wipe them away at the moment of your greatest vulnerability.

Being of sound mind, I'd better spend them before Father Time comes knocking.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Roger
In view of the EC rules we agree to when signing up, I imagine it would be difficult to persuade BA to agree to this without assistance from m'learned friends, which may be expensive for a test case.
Expensive and hopeless. The clause is written in plain English. Death = cancellation of all miles and points. Contract law isn't based on what's fair; it's based on what's been agreed.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 2:48 pm

in the case of BA miles, at least if you have a household account it's not that difficult to just keep the miles of your family member. Just don't tell BA that they have sadly passed away.

I must say, I think the attitude of any airline who treats the miles as an asset that can be transferred if specifed in a will is a very positive thing... it would be nice to konw that if I die that at least my partner would be able to carry on our passion for travelling (MFU'd of course)
Old Jun 28, 2005, 2:53 pm

Depending on your religious persuasion, you could argue that pegging it is the ultimate MFU...

(and apologies if I offend anyone with this post)
Old Jun 28, 2005, 3:40 pm

Location: Reading, Cambridge & Edinburgh, UK, Sunnyvale, CA and Philadelphia, PA
Programs: Top Gear
Depending on your religious persuasion, you could argue that pegging it is the ultimate MFU...
Or the ultimate bump... you've got to hope that St Peter hasn't overbooked that particular flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.