Wiki Posts
Search

Need Guidance on ORD to BCN Award flights

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
Question Need Guidance on ORD to BCN Award flights

I will be traveling ORD to BCN outbound and VCE to ORD return in April 2019. Given the ORD-BCN is an overnight flight, want to book F for this leg. Have ample MP points and significant Chase SP points to utilize. Would like to book Lufthansa, but my understanding they only release award seats to partner airlines 15 days in advance (Mrs. B would not have the tolerance for the uncertainty), and not overly impressed with UA hard product. Any guidance for best options for quality trip ORD-BCN. Since VCE-ORD is basically a day flight, not opposed to UA but like the business class upper deck of Lufthansa 747. Anyone with first hand experience on Swiss either way?
Old May 19, 2018, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Brostman Welcome to FT

What UA or partner award flights have you investigated?
Considered business class awards?
2 premium long haul awards will be hard to get.
Looked in the UA forum? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...?daysprune=100
The "best options for quality trip" may not be available as an award. Or to/from a close by city/airport, like CDG, MUC etc. If you find an award to/from your intended cities just book it. Route map

Consider these Award booking services - a list and some reviews

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 19, 2018 at 4:09 am
Old May 19, 2018, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Im not sure what your question is. Is it only F or are certain J cabins allowed? I dont think theres a huge amount of F choice out of ORD, but LH, AF, and BA are all fine and have decent connections. If this is award ticketing, I think youll be very LaSalle muted in choice.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Mwenenzi.... thanks for the input. In the *A program (which is where I have the most miles) I have concentrated on LH / LX / UA as the most likely to have the best F traveling from ORD to anywhere near BCN. We are okay with a connection in Europe on the way to BCN. As I have been researching options I have come to realize that F will be a tough find as an award, but wanted to check with more experienced flyers to see if I was overlooking something. I will use your link to the award booking services to see if something pops there. I have perused the UA forum somewhat but will make a more thorough review there also. Thanks again.
Old May 22, 2018, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Im not sure what your question is. Is it only F or are certain J cabins allowed? I dont think theres a huge amount of F choice out of ORD, but LH, AF, and BA are all fine and have decent connections. If this is award ticketing, I think youll be very LaSalle muted in choice.
LondonElite....thanks for the post. With better succinctness, I am primarily looking for F on a leg from ORD to a European gateway enroute to BCN. I don't believe I will find a non-stop ORD-BCN (AA's from ORD appears to be seasonal). My best options for MP award appears to be LH / LX / UA flights, and yes the choices appear to be limited. Just asking more veteran fliers if I am overlooking some best in class options if using MP award or partner programs of Chase SP.
Old May 22, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Locking yourself into F is what is limiting you.

LH is the only *A offering to Europe that offers F to UAMP and as you note you will be limited to T-14 so you are taking a big risk there. UA no longer offers F and LX only offers F to partners in error (and in many instances that error has been quickly caught and resulted in LX canceling the fare):

From a Chase UR perspective, if F is a requirement you can either:

1) Transfer to BA and do BA F on ORD - LHR - BCN (plus the $cam charges that BA will charge) but BA F is certainly not worth the extra miles and cash vs. business class (even UA)

2) Transfer to SQ and do ORD - JFK (paid) // JFK - FRA (SQ F) - BCN (LH J)

If you are willing to entertain the possibility of J you have a few more options:

1) All the *A partners that fly J to Europe (OS/LX/LO/UA/LH/SN/AC) either via Europe or Canada (Air Canada only)

2) Transfer UR --> Avios to redeem on the ORD - BCN flight on AA in J (if available) or on the ORD - BCN flight on Iberia

3) Transfer UR --> Aeroplan for LH F (but same T-14 issue)
Old May 23, 2018, 10:32 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP, have you flown from USA-Europe before? It's not that long a flight if not in coach!

Even though I am a staunch anti-coach flyer, I find Business Class to be plenty adequate for crossing oceans. First is an unnecessary requirement.

BTW, are you aware what intra-Europe Business Class is like?

I find LH, LX, and OS Business Class to be very good products. TK is too variable and IST airport is a mess. I despise BA.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Brostman
LondonElite....thanks for the post. With better succinctness, I am primarily looking for F on a leg from ORD to a European gateway enroute to BCN. I don't believe I will find a non-stop ORD-BCN (AA's from ORD appears to be seasonal). My best options for MP award appears to be LH / LX / UA flights, and yes the choices appear to be limited. Just asking more veteran fliers if I am overlooking some best in class options if using MP award or partner programs of Chase SP.
It's entirely up to you, but I would not pay significantly more for F over J on an overnight transatlantic flight where my main priority is sleep. I don't believe you are going to find a direct F service to BCN, so there will be a connecting flight somewhere along the line. My suggestion would be to look at LX or LH (the business class is better than UA, in my opinion) to MUC, ZRH, or FRA (in that order) and then connect to BCN.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roberto99
OP, have you flown from USA-Europe before? It's not that long a flight if not in coach!
It is not unusual for infrequent flyers from USA to not have experienced long haul international aircraft. And so think USA domestic F class is as good as it gets or representative of all F long haul. Most (2 class) USA airline domestic first are not good as international first or business. More like premium economy on some better airlines

Making a connection domestic/first will negate any benefits over a non stop international business class flight

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 24, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Old May 25, 2018, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
It is not unusual for infrequent flyers from USA to not have experienced long haul international aircraft. And so think USA domestic F class is as good as it gets or representative of all F long haul. Most (2 class) USA airline domestic first are not good as international first or business. More like premium economy on some better airlines

Making a connection domestic/first will negate any benefits over a non stop international business class flight
I have flown internationally ORD to Europe periodically over the years, but certainly not with any regularity. I do like the LH J as they still fly 747 and I have always been able to get seats on upper deck. My only concern with LH J is it looked like they have "skinny-ed" down the J seats and was concerned they may not be of the same comfort level. If anyone has any recent experience with LH J product I would appreciate your assessment....in the meantime I will peruse the LH forum for any recent reviews/trip reports.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
It's entirely up to you, but I would not pay significantly more for F over J on an overnight transatlantic flight where my main priority is sleep. I don't believe you are going to find a direct F service to BCN, so there will be a connecting flight somewhere along the line. My suggestion would be to look at LX or LH (the business class is better than UA, in my opinion) to MUC, ZRH, or FRA (in that order) and then connect to BCN.
LondonElite..... thanks for the input. I have not found any direct flights ORD-BCN (other than what appears to be a seasonal route by AA), so I was already prepared for a connection. Will probably take your advice and just stick with J. Is your suggested connections priority based on ease of connection at each of the three airports versus some other attributes. Going J, do you prefer LX over LH?
Old May 25, 2018, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
Locking yourself into F is what is limiting you.

LH is the only *A offering to Europe that offers F to UAMP and as you note you will be limited to T-14 so you are taking a big risk there. UA no longer offers F and LX only offers F to partners in error (and in many instances that error has been quickly caught and resulted in LX canceling the fare):

From a Chase UR perspective, if F is a requirement you can either:

1) Transfer to BA and do BA F on ORD - LHR - BCN (plus the $cam charges that BA will charge) but BA F is certainly not worth the extra miles and cash vs. business class (even UA)

2) Transfer to SQ and do ORD - JFK (paid) // JFK - FRA (SQ F) - BCN (LH J)

If you are willing to entertain the possibility of J you have a few more options:

1) All the *A partners that fly J to Europe (OS/LX/LO/UA/LH/SN/AC) either via Europe or Canada (Air Canada only)

2) Transfer UR --> Avios to redeem on the ORD - BCN flight on AA in J (if available) or on the ORD - BCN flight on Iberia

3) Transfer UR --> Aeroplan for LH F (but same T-14 issue)
Duke787...... thanks for the insight. I was unaware that LX did not allow *A partners access to F. AA's ORD-BCN flight appears to be seasonal, as I see the route currently but do not see it for 04/2019. I will check into Iberia for a direct flight.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Iberia doesn't have a direct flight from ORD-BCN. You connect in MAD. If the OP is looking for F, he won't find it on IB, which only has J, PE and Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.