Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

No Show Question

No Show Question

Old Apr 16, 18, 10:28 am
Original Poster

No Show Question

Hello,

We have a group of 4 people booked on points, 2 in J and 2 in F. Separate redemptions for Cathay (booked through Alaska) and Etihad (Etihad booked 1 leg via Etihad Guest and 1 leg via American) flights.

3 adults and 1 child (3 years). The adult (let's call her Jane) that was traveling with the child in J has to cancel. Name changes seem to be unavailable, even for a fee. One option looks to be booking a 5th passenger in economy and having them just sit in Jane's seats who won't be on the trip.

I'm not sure though if that is allowed or if the airline will cancel the seat if Jane doesn't show up.

Any advice on if this is allowed or other options?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 16, 18, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Exp/ Marriott G/ Hyatt Globalist Elitist
1. the airline will release the seat if it's a no-show
2. They won't let your 5th passenger self-upgrade to that seat
3. 90% chance that someone else will be sitting there.
Old Apr 16, 18, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
You have quite the tangled web here, and it's unlikely you're going to be able to resolve it satisfactorily, unless there is award space available, or you can beg the airlines into opening it. You then cancel "Jane's" award tickets and book a new award for Traveler #5 - though, admittedly, that's a super long shot. You don't say it explicitly, but since "Jane" seems to have been traveling with a minor, you now seem to have a pseudo-unaccompanied-minor situation where nobody else is on the child's PNR, and the child is flying alone in J -- which, honestly, I have no idea how Cathay or Etihad will react to. That would seem, to me, to be the bigger problem than how to get "Traveler #5 " onto the itinerary... If the child were 12+, maybe no big deal... but at age 3, I think you're treading on thin ice. They may deny boarding on that one without an adult in at least the same class of service.
Old Apr 16, 18, 12:01 pm

Always better to have one parent with the child - and not another family member or nanny.

I'd cancel Jane and see if the space shows up again in inventory. You could do this in one call with the original frequent flyer program. If not, you'd most likely would have to cancel both the 3 year old and Jane and rebook them in whatever is available.

The only issue might be the UAM problem if Jane is canceled. A 3 year old can't travel as a UAM.
Old Apr 16, 18, 8:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
You will have to cancel Jane's reservation. If she is a no-show, the airline will place someone else in that seat. And certainly the airline will not allow a passenger ticketed in economy to sit in C.
I think your choices are to get the child a seat in F, or to cancel one or both of the adult tickets in F and book J instead..