Wiki Posts
Search

DOT rules on airline response time to complaints

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
DOT rules on airline response time to complaints

Hi I have a complaint to an airline but they haven't responded for a long time (5 months to be specific) even after multiple requests. It seems like DOT requires airlines to respond within 60 days. The tricky part is that this is the second request, meaning the airline responded first but I further sent clarification but then the airline got silent. Does this mean the airline is in violation of the DOT rule or it is still under the rule because they responded in my first email? And if it is in violation, should I complain to DOT directly?

Last edited by sony2012; May 30, 2017 at 11:29 pm Reason: clarification
Old May 30, 2017, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I know there's a time requirement for cases when you're entitled to a refund as well as rules about how much and when IDB compensation is to be paid. Also, if you submit a complaint to DOT regarding something within their jurisdiction (such as IDB regulations, including following mandated processes and announced priorities), they must respond within a certain time frame that would be much less than five months.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I would file a DOT complaint whether or not the airline is technically in compliance (I'm not sure with the nuance you provide).

A DOT complaint might be the kick in the butt they need to finally act on your emails.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
DOT complaints are usually forwarded to higher level agents so it can be a way to get a quicker/proper response vs trying to go through levels of clueless front line agents (not saying all front line agents are clueless)
Old May 31, 2017, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by sony2012
Hi I have a complaint to an airline but they haven't responded for a long time (5 months to be specific) even after multiple requests. It seems like DOT requires airlines to respond within 60 days. The tricky part is that this is the second request, meaning the airline responded first but I further sent clarification but then the airline got silent. Does this mean the airline is in violation of the DOT rule or it is still under the rule because they responded in my first email? And if it is in violation, should I complain to DOT directly?
What is the complaint?

Without sharing that detail it is hard to comment on the (lack of) response. If the airline considers your complaint to have no merit they will likely not respond again. It is not like anyone here knows who you are. And if your complaint is a potential DOT violation, then maybe someone here experienced the same thing and can advise you.

If you have a DOT complaint, file with DOT. I do not believe the airline is required to respond to any complaint from a consumer. They do need to respond to DOT complaints (sent from the DOT).
Old May 31, 2017, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
thank you, I will initiate a complaint with DOT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.