Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Moving out of the country. How to handle miles and points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 10:37 am
Original Poster

I am moving to Singapore in Aug. After I settle down, can I update the address and phone number on all my airline/hotel programs to my Singapore address and phone number? Is there any upside to leaving the US address as is, for any program? Is there any program that is not available for non US residents?

Thanks very much.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:47 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes it is as simple as that (few exceptions apply such as BA restriction on Australia/NZ addresses).

Some programmes may be less useful from some locations (e.g. if your FFP requires 4 flights on home airline to have status and live somewhere there is difficult/expensive to achieve).

However sometimes distance has advantages in terms of earning/burning sweetspots.

If you post the name of the programmes then more specific advice can be given.
Old May 30, 2017, 2:37 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Some programmes may be less useful from some locations
Yup. However, depending on the program, a waiver from a qualifying dollars requirement may be very attractive for OP.
Old May 30, 2017, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP probably should think also about how to handle credit cards.

Is this expected to be a permanent or temporary move?

Student? New job? Transfer with current employer?

Likely extent of air travel, routes, fare class?

Does the OP currently have any elite status?

More information would be helpful.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As you're seeking advice on what to do with multiple programs, we'll move this to MilesBuzz to discuss the implications of international relocation.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old May 31, 2017, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all.

I will be moving to Singapore for a new job; no travel involved. I plan/hope to be there for AT LEAST 2 years. That should be plenty of time for me to visit all the places I want to visit in SE Asia. And if I really like the job and the city, I am open to staying back longer.

I mostly fly Southwest and Jetblue. And I do have miles and points with American, United, and most major hotel programs as well (through credit card sign ups). I am more concerned about southwest and jetblue. From my research, it doesn't look like I can use those points for flights/hotels once I move out of the country. At least jetblue has no expiration policy. It's a shame southwest points expire after 2 years, as I have almost 200K points with them. Until last week I assumed I could redeem it for gift cards (I was planning to redeem for Amazon. Not the best use, but given my situation I was ok with it). But found out you have to be a credit card holder to redeem for gift cards. And I cancelled my credit card just last month. Huge Bummer :-(
Old May 31, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Generally, US-based credit cards and US-based loyalty schemes are more competitive and better value than those elsewhere. It would be best to keep credit cards open, especially the ones with no foreign exchange fee. You can then use them for their superior earnings rate and to keep the points and miles from expiring.

Many of the big airlines and hotel chains have better bonus offers for those with US addresses. Not always, but I'd suggest you keep everything with a US address unless there is a promotion that's better for Singapore residents than US. Wait until then to change it. (Given your situation, you might want to apply for a new Southwest card before you go.)
Old May 31, 2017, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are some very attractive credit cards in certain foreign countries, especially including Singapore, if you can qualify with a new job and foreign citizenship. You can get a card that gives access to a lounge at SIN and "two dine for the price of one" at many, many restaurants in Singapore (alcohol not included) all the time.

In addition, you'll probably want at least one credit card denominated in Singapore dollars since this is the currency for your local expenses and I assume your salary.

For Southwest, will you not be returning to the USA for any holidays, vacations, or special events during your first year?
Old May 31, 2017, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kremmen
It would be best to keep credit cards open, especially the ones with no foreign exchange fee.
Without letting the banks know I am not living in the US? I am not comfortable with that. Will they let me keep the credit cards open with a foreign address if I tell them this is a temporary move and that I will be back in a year? I am ok with that lie.

Originally Posted by Kremmen
Given your situation, you might want to apply for a new Southwest card before you go.
I cancelled the card because of the move and the annual fee just posted. I can't apply for any chase card because of 5/24 rule.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For Southwest, will you not be returning to the USA for any holidays, vacations, or special events during your first year?
I don't see myself visiting more than once a year. I might take a trip or two up and down the west coast when I visit. But those flights are usually not expensive; it will probably cost me 10,000 points. But at this point, I don't have any better way to spend those sw points. I guess I just have to let it sit in my account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.