Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

USA to Chile: Minor travel, documentation required?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA to Chile: Minor travel, documentation required?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation USA to Chile: Minor travel, documentation required?

so I have been planning a trip to go to Chile in December. the only problem so far is that I am unsure as to how i will pass through customs as i am flying alone and only 17. i have asked my cousin (who is a government worker) and he had no idea. am i supposed to contact the US embassy in Chile? do i need a written letter of consent from both my parents? i don't know. PLEASE HELP!!!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Andrew Dennison
so I have been planning a trip to go to Chile in December. the only problem so far is that I am unsure as to how i will pass through customs as i am flying alone and only 17. i have asked my cousin (who is a government worker) and he had no idea. am i supposed to contact the US embassy in Chile? do i need a written letter of consent from both my parents? i don't know. PLEASE HELP!!!
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

You need a notarized letter from both parents to travel in under the age of 18.

"U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child's other parent (or, in the case of a child traveling with grandparents, uncles or aunts, sisters or brothers, friends, or in groups*, a note signed by both parents) stating "I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my son/daughter/group. He/She/They has/have my permission." (Link)

We will move this to the appropriate forum. /Moderator
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

"U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child's other parent (or, in the case of a child traveling with grandparents, uncles or aunts, sisters or brothers, friends, or in groups*, a note signed by both parents) stating "I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my son/daughter/group. He/She/They has/have my permission." (Link)

This is general advice for USA citizens, right? It's not specific for Chile, plus it's phrased as a recommendation and not a requirement.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
See here for advice from the U.S. embassy in Chile.
https://cl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...-requirements/

"Minors departing alone or in the company of another party are required to submit a written notarized authorization from the non-traveling parent(s) and birth certificate. If the authorization is notarized outside of Chile, it must be authenticated following the steps in the paragraph above."
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The above is incorrect in answering the OP's question. The quoted Q&A is only for Child traveling with one parent or someone who is not a parent or legal guardian or a group, not a minor traveling alone (and is only advisory not a requirement). The OP is traveling alone.

The US does not require anything in particular for US citizen minors traveling alone, departing or returning to the US. The DoS FAQ for minors traveling alone simply has this advisory that other countries may require a notarized letter or other documentation:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...5MWjNrbg%3D%3D

Minors may be able to travel to another country without either one of their parents. They may however require a notarized written consent letter from both parents. Minors interested in traveling without their parents should contact the embassy to address admissibility questions.

A list of embassies and entry requirements can be obtained at the Department of State website, or call the particular embassy by phone.
What Chile requires, is another matter but it looks like the poster before me has the information from the Chilean embassy website.

OP, obviously be sure your passport will be valid for the duration of your trip. When you enter Chile you'll get a "tourist card" that you have to present when you depart...only it's basically a cash register receipt type of paper so it could be easy to lose if you're not careful! Or maybe I was just paranoid on my last visit this spring. Enjoy Chile!

Last edited by 84fiero; Jun 1, 2017 at 7:36 pm
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
-It's a very good idea to have a notarized letter signed by both your legal guardians (parents) stating they know of and consent to your travel. Keep the wording short and to the point.

-You don't need a letter from anyone you're visiting but having someone that you know send you a letter/email welcoming you to the country is not a bad idea. If you're not staying in a hotel or hostel having an email or letter from the person putting you up is also a good idea. If you are staying at a hotel or hostel having a printed out copy of that reservation is a good idea.

-Be able to present to the Border Agent a debit and/or credit card that has your name on it. This doesn't mean the credit card is yours but you're authorized to use it. You/your parents may not know that credit cards can have authorized users that are issued a card with your name on it but any possible debt belongs to the account owner.

-For tourism Chile does not require US citizens to have a visa for short visits but not a bad idea to take a photo on your phone of the "Tourist Card" you get upon entry.

-Having data & minutes access on your phone is a good idea. If you have Tmobile, Google Fi, Sprint or pay for a roaming package from ATT or Verizon you'll have service. If not you can purchase a local Sim card for service. That you may do better with asking your Cousin to procure for you.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by 84fiero
The above is incorrect in answering the OP's question. The quoted Q&A is only for Child traveling with one parent or someone who is not a parent or legal guardian or a group, not a minor traveling alone (and is only advisory not a requirement). The OP is traveling alone.

The US does not require anything in particular for US citizen minors traveling alone, departing or returning to the US. The DoS FAQ for minors traveling alone simply has this advisory that other countries may require a notarized letter or other documentation:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...5MWjNrbg%3D%3D

What Chile requires, is another matter but it looks like the poster before me has the information from the Chilean embassy website.

OP, obviously be sure your passport will be valid for the duration of your trip. When you enter Chile you'll get a "tourist card" that you have to present when you depart...only it's basically a cash register receipt type of paper so it could be easy to lose if you're not careful! Or maybe I was just paranoid on my last visit this spring. Enjoy Chile!
It is, and in this case a letter should be presented with signatures of both parents / all custodians. Particularly traveling to, from or through countries that subscribe to The Hague Agreement on Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.

As well, for liability protection, airlin may request demonstrated permission for a minor to travel.

Without such proof, a person under 18 may be prevented from flying or encounter difficulties with officials.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.