Community
Wiki Posts
Search

compensation question: where to post?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

compensation question: where to post?

i would like to post a question regarding an issue i had with a hotel chain. Because I am not satisfied with their suggested compensation in loyalty points, I might wanna take it to a lawyer and see if i can make a case. For that reason, I do not wanna name the hotel or hotel chain (yet).

So where should I post my question?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The Hotels & Loyalty Programs section under the Miles & Points header should help. When you figure out which of the subforum out there you want to have this in contact a moderator to have the thread moved there.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
The Hotels & Loyalty Programs section under the Miles & Points header should help. When you figure out which of the subforum out there you want to have this in contact a moderator to have the thread moved there.
thanks for your reply

chosing a subsection would reveal the hotel chain, right? I don't want to do that at this moment
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It would indicate the Chain but not the individual hotel until you name it.

Originally Posted by fwerfel
thanks for your reply

chosing a subsection would reveal the hotel chain, right? I don't want to do that at this moment
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
As a reminder, Flyertalk is not a substitute for legal advice.
If you are not willing to share details at this point, any advice you're given here will be necessarily limited in quality and usefulness. Expectations vary from chain to chain and also country to country.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The less information you provide, the less valuable the advice you will get.

FT is a two-way street.

If you want legal advice, why post here at all? Just go retain and pay a lawyer for advice.

If you want practical advice about what you are likely to get by way of a customer service gesture, you are going to need to provide specific information, including the property and exactly what happened.

For all you know, the exact same thing has happened before to someone else on FT and they can tell you what the result was.

It's up to you. GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out).
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Every hotel chain forum has lots of threads that describe how a hotel in that chain messed up someone's stay, what compensation they offered, what negotiations took place, and what finally happened. Go through those posts in the forum of the chain you have in mind. They will at least give you a general idea of whether or not you were treated consistently with some other people.

Keep in mind, though, that bringing in lawyers is a last resort. Unless you have a cousin who is a lawyer and will take on your case as a favor, it is very unlikely to pay off. Any major hotel chain has a bazillion lawyers on its staff, is going to pay them even if they're not busy, and might as well put them on your case. They have seen hundreds of cases just like it; if your lawyer is lucky, he or she will have seen two. By the time you subtract legal costs from the value of any settlement, you're likely to end up worse off than you are now unless you have an ironclad, open-and-shut case for a substantial amount of tangible damages that you can quantify, in which case they'll settle when they get your lawyer's letter rather than fight in court. In most cases, the wiser course of action is to take their compensation offer.

Another option, should you care to pursue it, is to contact one of the travel consumer assistance columns in major publications. Hotel chains tend to follow Mark Twain's advice with those people: "Never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel." If your case is interesting enough to make their cut - they pursue, and publish, only a fraction of the complaints people send them - that can be the most profitable path of all.

If you decide to post about your experience on TripAdvisor or a similar site, be sure you have all your facts lined up. Those sites sometimes remove negative reviews when the hotel/restaurant/etc. disagrees with what they said at a factual level. Also, while that may bring you some satisfaction, it probably won't get you any compensation. (My wife and I recently decided against going to a specific restaurant in Ogunquit, Maine, because of a TripAdvisor review that documented how poorly they handled a specific situation. That didn't do anything tangible for the person who wrote the review, though.)
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:26 am
Original Poster

thanks for all of your advice! I'll post it in the relevant section, since it's extremely unlikely I would ever want to make a case out of it
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As the OP has been given advice on were to post, we'll close this thread.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.